Where to fit out?

Ironmaiden

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Now you are talking - you mean a 'steel sewer tube' !!!!

Are you planning to build to the RCD ? (I presume you are aware of the 2017 RCD changes for a 'sailaway')

Yes I am still aware of them, I've been reading up on them, got mixed feelings about it, but I think it might be best to follow the regs even though we plan this to be our last home, to the point I'll be coming off it in a box feet first, but you never know how the future can turn out.. 

• Happy 1

Colin Jaques (YouTuber) was from the southwest and fitted his out at Debdale Marina.  I’ve thought about the back garden but I suspect the crane costs would be costly.  With farmers yards or industrial yards you will have crane costs and rent.

If you are working on the boat onLy on weekends- a farmers yard might be the better (and cheaper) option because it may take a couple of years.  If fitting out the boat full-time and assuming it takes 6 to 9 months - Debdale May be the more cost effective option. 

2 hours ago, garibaldi said:

Colin Jaques (YouTuber) was from the southwest and fitted his out at Debdale Marina.  I’ve thought about the back garden but I suspect the crane costs would be costly.  With farmers yards or industrial yards you will have crane costs and rent.

If you are working on the boat onLy on weekends- a farmers yard might be the better (and cheaper) option because it may take a couple of years.  If fitting out the boat full-time and assuming it takes 6 to 9 months - Debdale May be the more cost effective option. 

Hi thanks, we are going to be working on the boat full time so we want to avoid unnecessary costs with crane and transportation.. 

26 minutes ago, Ironmaiden said:

Hi thanks, we are going to be working on the boat full time so we want to avoid unnecessary costs with crane and transportation.. 

Are you planning to live on it whilst you are working on it |?

(Its no easy with such limited space and 8'x 4 foot sheets of ply etc.)

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you planning to live on it whilst you are working on it |?

(Its no easy with such limited space and 8'x 4 foot sheets of ply etc.)

Yes we are, well we are hoping that we can park our campervan as near as possible and we will live in that. 

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, Ironmaiden said:

Yes we are, well we are hoping that we can park our campervan as near as possible and we will live in that. 

You can hire a 20ft shipping container at Debdale so you could hire a container for the first couple of months until the bulky stuff is out the way.  Debdale is about the cheapest I have found so far - £0.52 per foot per week for hard standing.

Also worth checking out this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Uo6bTN0zEppL_vBX5Kdbw Christine Anne the Buoys - currently fitting out at Debdale.

Narrowboat Skills Centre at Debdale do some 2 day fit-out courses.  Each course covers either electrics, plumbing or woodwork.

out of interest who are you buying your shell from?  Trying to decide which one to go for...

2 hours ago, garibaldi said:

You can hire a 20ft shipping container at Debdale so you could hire a container for the first couple of months until the bulky stuff is out the way.  Debdale is about the cheapest I have found so far - £0.52 per foot per week for hard standing.

Also worth checking out this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Uo6bTN0zEppL_vBX5Kdbw Christine Anne the Buoys - currently fitting out at Debdale.

Narrowboat Skills Centre at Debdale do some 2 day fit-out courses.  Each course covers either electrics, plumbing or woodwork.

out of interest who are you buying your shell from?  Trying to decide which one to go for...

Thanks for that, it looks really promising coild be just what we want.