When were smocks in fashion

Heartland

Featured Posts

Certainly popular along the Essex/Suffolk coast in the 70's/80's, my one was made by the local sailmaker at Bell Warf out of offcuts of sailcloth. Still got it and it's still fit for use although a bit harder to get into these days . . .

Made in the right material they are windproof and can be waxed too. The simple design means there is little chance of it getting snagged which is an aid to safety.

If memory serves I seem to remember a picture of Robin Knox Johnson sporting one on Suhaili.

7 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Certainly popular along the Essex/Suffolk coast in the 70's/80's, my one was made by the local sailmaker at Bell Warf out of offcuts of sailcloth. Still got it and it's still fit for use although a bit harder to get into these days . . .

Made in the right material they are windproof and can be waxed too. The simple design means there is little chance of it getting snagged which is an aid to safety.

If memory serves I seem to remember a picture of Robin Knox Johnson sporting one on Suhaili.

I use to wear one, I am now wondering what happened to it. Made by Yarmouth Stores

They still make them https://www.yarmouthoilskins.com/product/the-classic-smock/

Edited by ditchcrawler

• 1 year later...
On 26/09/2020 at 16:00, Sea Dog said:

Adge Cutler wore a smock late into the 20th century. It can't have been a poor person thing, because he had a brand new combine harvester and 23 acres, and I'm not sure he didn't go on to marry a woman with 43 acres.

Was that the same guy who liked to poke a blackbird with a gert big stick?

The heavy cotton Breton fishing style smocks are great. Mine will be about thirty years old and is still okay. Two massive pockets at the front are great when doing jobs, put screws spanners etc in there. They're good at resisting the wind and usually loose enough at the cuff and neck to get on over a few other layers. At the time they were quite budget clothing but similar examples I see now seem quite pricey. Then again, I price clothes by how expensive jeans and t-shirts are in a supermarket, boots at Screwfix, and coveralls and wellies from t'internet.

And slightly more expensive, but made of high performing Ventile  and as worn by ghillies: https://hilltrek.co.uk/clothing/smocks/

Also not cheap but another interesting option: http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/

The forerunner to the Buffalo Pertex and pile smock were some prototypes made when Hamish Hamilton, climber and mountaineer worked with Perseverance Mills in Padiham to develop Pertex. They had some garments made up by Remploy from Pertex and pile fleece. I managed to buy one from Bernie's cafe in Ingleton and it is still an excellent winter jacket all these years later. It's not waterproof but is warm. The theory is it dries very quickly by wicking and evaporation. They are designed to worn next to the skin and it really does work. Pertex is a great invention like Ventile, but, also like Ventile, a British technology now lost abroad.

Edited by Psychalist
remembered it was Bernie's not Cave & Crag

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

These are a better price than the other link I posted Yarmo Fishermans Sailcloth Cotton Smock V-Neck, Navy - SM0304 – Yarmo Group

image.png.ca5312f5884c232353c66fce79700f33.png

Dunno how to post a link but you can get them from Newlyn Smocks for under £30. Free delivery. 
I was given mine 20yr ago? 
They’re as tough as f***. 

thinking about it, my mate who gave it me has been dead almost 20yr, so it’ll be closer to 30yr since I’ve had it. 

Edited by Goliath