Why does my boat need more maintenance than a house?

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've never owned a house or flat but used to live in them more than 20 years ago, so I do appreciate that they need maintenance too, but why is it that boats seem to need so much more?

For example, I have a Bristan domestic shower mixer which seems to require descaling every 6 months to a year. It stops delivering hot water and I have to take the whole lot off the wall and dunk the insides in a bowl of vinegar for a few hours before reassembling and then it's fine. I've never done this in a house and never heard of anyone else having to do it - at least certainly not as frequently as me.

So why does bringing a standard domestic item onto a boat suddenly mean it needs servicing every year? That's just one example but I'm sure there are lots of others.

22 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've never owned a house or flat but used to live in them more than 20 years ago, so I do appreciate that they need maintenance too, but why is it that boats seem to need so much more?

For example, I have a Bristan domestic shower mixer which seems to require descaling every 6 months to a year. It stops delivering hot water and I have to take the whole lot off the wall and dunk the insides in a bowl of vinegar for a few hours before reassembling and then it's fine. I've never done this in a house and never heard of anyone else having to do it - at least certainly not as frequently as me.

So why does bringing a standard domestic item onto a boat suddenly mean it needs servicing every year? That's just one example but I'm sure there are lots of others.

I have an answer for you young Mike,

it's because (not unreasonably) canal boaters avoid the overpriced stuff - aimed at salty water boater (who mostly might get by with overpriced  so called marine stuff) and think - as it's ** expensive it must be the bees-mid-length- joints.

You're posh shower mixer is designed to run  off 'mains water' and at a constant pressure. On a boat if you have water supply pressure at 30 psi all the joints would pop regularly / or the other components would fail - as they're not-reall-designed- for that pressure.

Pulling the age bit - I'm happy to mix and mend and compromise when I know that a domestic bit will  not quite work on a NB. Some bit's do and some don't. No absolutes. Experimentation is fun (often).

I and to a lesser extent, your goodself have learnt to mix and match - but newer boater expect everything to be peachy from day one.

It ain't going to happen - the marhket's too small.

Nurse, nurse, I've.......

Houses have had 700 years refinement and built from inert materials largely, they don't sit on an agressive medium or need to be 100% watertight; even vegetable framed houses are quite refined and don't get surrounded by water. I live on 200 foot chalk on the North Downs. My shower would do same thing except I put in a water softener system cost over £1k capital plus the consumables. As the other poster states most boaters don't spend anything on prevention.

Edited by mark99