Lit me stove

blackrose

Featured Posts

Resorted to having the heating on at home for an hour or so earlier to take the chill off. Then regretted it because it got too hot in the kitchen where I was working!

Sat with a beer now in the cockpit listening to some tunes with the Webasto keeping us warm.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

It's decidedly autumnal and supposed to go down to 4C here tonight so I've lit the stove. First time since early April. Have others lit theirs tonight?

Yes. But at home.

Bought our first smokeless and logs today too.

I've let mine go out overnight, but applied three firelighters and dry twigs, all 's well, I'l have to stoke up with coalsalike before I head off, I like to leave stove in a sort of stable state, as I don't want things to get out of hand when I'm not there. Nearly out of dry twigs, but they are really so much nicer than the standard  kindling which comes in nets at £1.50 a time, and still need a few firelighters to get going .

I'll be having baked potatoes most days from now on, and intend to try foraging, dry wood only, to keep the home fires burning. Sun is going south, and it could be a long winter.

I'm going to try making cordials, can't remember how long it is since I did that, but they do taste great. This is the season of mellow fruitfullness, let's enjoy it.

Chestnuts and acorns aplenty, but no sign of cob nuts, I think it's the wrong type of woodland, plenty of silver birch, but not many fallen logs.

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Let ours go out overnight as well. Just lit it again. 

Too hot, too cold. Decisions have to be made. So stressful this boating stuff.

It's the unpredictability of the wind, a good steady breeze just keeps everything working, but if there is no wind I have to open the front door, for some reason (physics) it gets chilly, then it gets cold, then too hot, it's grate, sorry great.. 

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

(Car was iced over this morning, a reminder to get some antifreeze as soon as possible.)

You mean de-icer I think: if its for clearing your glass, antifreeze will strip your paint. It'd be a bad thing to get the wrong product!

(If you really mean antifreeze as a coolant additive, it should be in your engine year round as they are corrosion inhibitors too.)

58 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You mean de-icer I think: if its for clearing your glass, antifreeze will strip your paint. It'd be a bad thing to get the wrong product!

(If you really mean antifreeze as a coolant additive, it should be in your engine year round as they are corrosion inhibitors too.)

I mean anti freeze 

I had a leak earlier this year and replaced with just water, so I need to add a bit of anti freeze. 

I’ve a Gadget to check. 

On 26/09/2020 at 17:32, Goliath said:

I mean anti freeze 

I had a leak earlier this year and replaced with just water, so I need to add a bit of anti freeze. 

I’ve a Gadget to check. 

Well, I just thought 'twas better to check before the fact than say nowt and allow an expensive mistake to occur.  :)

• Greenie 1

So I have just lit our squirrel for the first time this autumn as its so bloomin dreary outside and damp. Will not be putting too much stuff on as it will have to go out b4 bed or we will be too ott overnight.