Family Evicted from Bristol harbour - living on a 'leisure mooring'

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

I have lived in many houses and now lived on a boat for over ten years as a continuous cruiser, this thing appears to successfully combine the disadvantages of both options.

................Dave

Agreed, not sure I'd want to live in an overpriced plastic shed that I can't move and also have to pay 'mooring fees' on...  Horses for courses I suppose...

22 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Agreed, not sure I'd want to live in an overpriced plastic shed that I can't move and also have to pay 'mooring fees' on...  Horses for courses I suppose...

We have several people living in plastic (aluminium) shed's that don't move and for which they pay 'mooring fees' (ground rent)

Its called a Static Caravan park. "Caravan Mooring" fees are similar to boat mooring fees - it varies from area to area, and what facilities, are provided but many are in the £2500-£3000 bracket.

A lot of retirees downsize into Caravans or Lodges, then go to the hotter-climes for 2 or 3 or 4 months in the Winter.

3 hours ago, dmr said:

I have lived in many houses and now lived on a boat for over ten years as a continuous cruiser, this thing appears to successfully combine the disadvantages of both options.

................Dave

I rather like it... When my boating days are over...

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Looking for photos for the 'Tonic required' thread, I came across this, which I am sure would sell well to those wanting to moor in a city centre. The location is Yangzhou, China.

_IGP8789.jpg

Just extend the cabin a bit and you would have something like the piano raft!

21.09.17.jpg

Edited by David Mack

On 26/09/2020 at 16:44, MartynG said:

What council facilities are absent?  Only bin collection  being absent comes to mind  buts that's a small part of the things that are funded by council tax.

We have a leisure moorings at Kings and the bins get emptied a lot more often than at our Lincoln house. And we can safely dispose of used oil at the marina. I'm sure we would also be able to access all emergency services if we needed to. Bargain in my mind. 

28 minutes ago, MrsM said:

We have a leisure moorings at Kings and the bins get emptied a lot more often than at our Lincoln house. And we can safely dispose of used oil at the marina. I'm sure we would also be able to access all emergency services if we needed to. Bargain in my mind. 

Whereabouts are you ?

We had many (many) years on A-Pontoon.

Yes the 999 services are there within minutes.

Boater moored next to us collapsed (heart attack, stroke, just fell over) and ambulance arrived almost as soon as the phone call was made.

We had a problem with a boater refueling (petrol) on the pontoon and between boats, despite instructions from the management refused to stop, several boaters arrived with axes and knives to cut their mooring ropes and push them away from their boats when the 'guilty party' called the Police and claimed they were being attacked by an 'armed mob'. Police arrive almost instantly (the Police HQ is just past the Malt Shovel pub by the traffic lights - you can walk there in 3 or 4 minutes), on having the situation explained the Police departed.

Boat was evicted and left, apparently moved up to Lincoln and was kicked out from there for doing the same thing.

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whereabouts are you ?

We had many (many) years on A-Pontoon.

Yes the 999 services are there within minutes.

Boater moored next to us collapsed (heart attack, stroke, just fell over) and ambulance arrived almost as soon as the phone call was made.

We had a problem with a boater refueling (petrol) on the pontoon and between boats, despite instructions from the management refused to stop, several boaters arrived with axes and knives to cut their mooring ropes and push them away from their boats when the 'guilty party' called the Police and claimed they were being attacked by an 'armed mob'. Police arrive almost instantly (the Police HQ is just past the Malt Shovel pub by the traffic lights - you can walk there in 3 or 4 minutes), on having the situation explained the Police departed.

Boat was evicted and left, apparently moved up to Lincoln and was kicked out from there for doing the same thing.

My goodness that sounds dramatic. We are on B Pontoon. Really enjoying it so far although we've been out boating more than we've been in the marina. Currently in  Shardlow and hope to get to Birmingham. We have very limited experience but a chunk of the boating world seems fairly lawless. I'm sure we've passed the same boats on 48 hour moorings that were there a month or two ago. No idea how CRT have the resources to police, let alone maintain, the waterways. 

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, MrsM said:

I'm sure we've passed the same boats on 48 hour moorings that were there a month or two ago. 

Remember they may have looked out of the window and said that boat must go up and down here all the time, they went past last time we were here. And then again they may not , of course.

• Happy 1