Electric Boats

peterboat

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

As he said he wanted to prove it could be done fossil free and a genset would have negated that. The makers wanted him to have one for emergency use. He tried and failed but had the guts to stand up and say so.

True but I would like to know more like does it have solar? Or does it just rely on regeneration? I have learned over the years that a couple of systems is better than one.  I have a wind turbine it can produce some power, it's not great but I have woken with more volts showing than when I went to bed so that's a success for me

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is more information and an aerial photo showing some solar in  https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/jimmy-cornell-report-aboard-eco-friendly-electric-catamaran-128880 It also says that in testing the power generation was actually better than expected. 

Reading that shows big regen figures which clearly later didnt do its job shame really cheers mate

• 4 months later...

C&RT say electric boats are slow

Notice Alert

Grand Union CanalLocation: Blisworth Tunnel - Grand Union CanalStarts At: Blisworth Tunnel North PortalEnds At: Blisworth Tunnel South Portal

Tuesday 22 June 2021 08:00 until Tuesday 22 June 2021 09:30

Type: Advice Reason: Information

Original message: An electric wide beam will be going through Blisworth Tunnel on the 22nd June. 
As it is an electric boat, it will take longer then normal and so other boaters will not be allowed passage through the tunnel between 8am and 9:30am.  
Please follow advice on site.

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Notice Alert

Grand Union CanalLocation: Blisworth Tunnel - Grand Union CanalStarts At: Blisworth Tunnel North PortalEnds At: Blisworth Tunnel South Portal

Original message: An electric wide beam will be going through Blisworth Tunnel on the 22nd June. 
As it is an electric boat, it will take longer then normal and so other boaters will not be allowed passage through the tunnel between 8am and 9:30am.  

Speshly if its solar power lectrik.

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Notice Alert

it's actually a 50tonne work barge 13ft wide powered by a trolling motor.

• Greenie 1

Here's Michelin's solution to hybrid propulsion on sea-going vessels. A bit impractical on built-up parts of the UK canal network, but I recall a trip up the straight part of the Shropshire union where the canal is on an embankment where the wind blowing off the Welsh marches was so strong that we had to proceed at full revs with the tiller held over to stop being pushed into the bank.

From the 20th June  "La Stampa" on-line, translation by Google.

++++++++++++++××+++++++++++++

An automated and inflatable maxi sail to make ships hybrid: the Michelin project

Wing Sail Mobility is the new solution that the tire giant has developed to reduce emissions: it uses the wind, a natural, free and inexhaustible source of energy, to reduce fuel consumption

An automated and inflatable maxi sail to make ships hybrid: the Michelin project

ANDREA BARSANTIPOSTED ONJune 20, 2021LAST EDITJune 20, 2021 12:06

Not just cars: companies and homes are also striving to make other means of transport more sustainable, often developing innovative solutions capable of adapting existing ones.

This is the case of Michelin, which has studied a new system capable of making sea transport more efficient and ecological: it is an automated, telescopic and inflatable sail that can be mounted both on merchant ships and on private boats. transforms into hybrid media.

The project, renamed "Wing Sail Mobility" (Wisamo), was presented during Movin'On 2021, the global summit dedicated to sustainable mobility and was created to contribute to the decarbonisation of maritime transport, a particularly topical issue also given the ambitious objectives that the International Maritime Organization (IMO) has set for 2030 and 2050 in terms of reducing emissions.

The sail was born from the collaboration between the Michelin Research & Development department and two Swiss inventors who share the group's “all-sustainable” vision, and is designed to channel the wind, which becomes a natural, universal and inexhaustible engine. The design allows the ship to consume less fuel, and therefore to have a positive impact on the environment by lowering CO2 emissions.

The new system, explained by Michelin, is particularly suitable for cargo ships, bulk carriers and oil tankers, and can be installed as original equipment or mounted on ships already in service. The range of action of the wing is among the widest on the market, and it was effective at many speeds, especially upwind (upwind). In addition, the sail can be used on all sea routes. The retractable telescopic mast facilitates the entry of ships into ports and the passage under bridges, as well as increases propulsive efficiency by up to 20%.

Michel Desjoyaux, a world-renowned skipper who became its ambassador, also collaborated on the project and helped the Michelin engineers to perfect its development. The expert sailor's advice and technical knowledge will also make it possible to test the solution in real conditions along sea routes: "The advantage of wind as a form of propulsion - said Desjoyeaux - is that it is a clean, free, universal and free source of energy. of disputes. The system offers a very promising channel to improve the environmental impact of merchant ships ”.

The first Wisamo system will be installed on a merchant ship in 2022, when Michelin plans to start production after completing the test phase.

+++++×+×××++++++++××××+++++

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Interesting coment that the use of diesel is essential where high power is required to cope with emergencies and adverse currents etc.  How would this square with the UK's proposed total abolition of diesel?  

HVO? Second generation biodiesel that isn't hydroscopic and stable for up to 10 years! It's what I use in the genny and the bubble stove. Yes its more expensive than normal diesel but as the article says they use so little it doesn't matter 

Edited by peterboat

On 26/09/2020 at 11:35, Alan de Enfield said:

If I'm reading the 'rules' correctly :

Boats built after 2025 MUST be capable of either running on, or converting to 'Zero emissions'.

Boats built after 2035 MUST use only zero emission power plant.

All boats in use by 2050 MUST use only zero emission power plant.

If the information in that earlier post is correct, it would mean that the use of any engine that was not zero emission, even those using the greenest of green biofuels, will be prohibited. This would appear to raise safety issues for boats that are to be used on rivers and tidal waters where strong currents and/or high winds are likely to be encountered. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

If the information in that earlier post is correct, it would mean that the use of any engine that was not zero emission, even those using the greenest of green biofuels, will be prohibited. This would appear to raise safety issues for boats that are to be used on rivers and tidal waters where strong currents and/or high winds are likely to be encountered. 

A full electric narrowboat crossed the wash so who knows what proper electric boats can do? Remember this is a company that specializes in parallel hybrids 

36 minutes ago, peterboat said:

A full electric narrowboat crossed the wash so who knows what proper electric boats can do? Remember this is a company that specializes in parallel hybrids 

People have to accept that change IS happening. I wont be here to see 2050 but it will be a different world than today

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

People have to accept that change IS happening. I wont be here to see 2050 but it will be a different world than today

The problem is if we won't change a lot of us won't be here in 2050! 😌

Presumably The Wash was crossed when conditions were ideal. I have crossed the English Channel (in a ferry) in millpond-like conditions that a narrowboat could probably have managed. The operator's french  experience indicates that the power of a diesel is essential when conditions are not ideal.

It has been mentioned in other posts that  the present designs of batteries/motors currently fitted are often not rated for delivering the heavy currents/powers for the  relatively long continuous periods that can be experienced when going against the current or strong winds. Further developments may  fix this issue, but would probably mean using motors and batteries with considerably larger capcities than those used at present, with consequences for weight, volume  and  cost. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

7 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Presumably The Wash was crossed when conditions were ideal. I have crossed the English Channel (in a ferry) in millpond-like conditions that a narrowboat could probably have managed. The operator's french  experience indicates that the power of a diesel is essential when conditions are not ideal.

It has been mentioned in other posts that  the present designs of batteries/motors currently fitted are often not rated for delivering the heavy currents/powers for the  relatively long continuous periods that can be experienced when going against the current or strong winds. Further developments may  fix this issue, but would probably mean using motors and batteries with considerably larger capcities than those used at present, with consequences for weight, volume  and  cost. 

Or these leisure journeys might not happen at all?

23 hours ago, peterboat said:

The problem is if we won't change a lot of us won't be here in 2050! 😌

I won't be here in 2050 - unless I'm in a very old people's home - regardless of whether people change or not.

Having said that, for the past 6 years I have been cruising the Thames with a little leccy boat of my own design and now view the diesel powered monsters as anachronisms. 

Why visit the Thames where there is peace and quiet to enjoy at your leisure and then spoil it all by racing from one lock to another in convoys of white plastic 2- or 3-storey megaliths, proudly watching as your wake breaks against the banks?   Some narrowboats are an exception and create little disturbance, but not all.  The 8km/hr speed limit is apparently a target that most boats try to match or exceed.  :wacko:

• Greenie 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2021 at 23:23, Ronaldo47 said:

If the electric drive system isn't robust enough to deal with long runs against currents, it's usually because corners have been cut to keep battery/motor/controller/installation costs down -- weight and volume aren't the problem, cost is.

There are drive systems which don't suffer from this but they're few and far between and are more expensive -- for example, this one from Finesse with 25kW peak and 15kW continuous, and a 700Ah 50V LiFePO4 battery bank (35kWh):

https://www.facebook.com/FinesseBoats/posts/1443095446050009

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is an electrically propelled boat for sale on ebay at the moment, no gas or diesel using Lithium batteries, bit of a long link but you can see where its going

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/42ft-Narrow-Boat-Reverse-Layout-/274903455008?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0&fbclid=IwAR1p-ged1KD-ALQvFSzqPJX7Fa9Yef1Q3fhdyL9N_A4EYEYa0sLn6ayqCX8

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is an electrically propelled boat for sale on ebay at the moment, no gas or diesel using Lithium batteries, bit of a long link but you can see where its going

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/42ft-Narrow-Boat-Reverse-Layout-/274903455008?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0&fbclid=IwAR1p-ged1KD-ALQvFSzqPJX7Fa9Yef1Q3fhdyL9N_A4EYEYa0sLn6ayqCX8

Was that batteries I saw in the shower?

12 hours ago, dmr said:

Rather than expensive lithium could use lead acids and top them up everytime you have a shower??

Looks like a cheap boat. Someone could buy it and bin the lectric stuff and put a proper diesel back in and have a useable boat at a reasonable price.