Electric Boats

peterboat

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

We have quite a few bollards on the S&SY, I have always been surprised by how little use they get 

I don't know, I'd use electricity in winter if it was available, for heating, but I've never seen any bollards readily available. Obviously I'd want to stay overnight, maybe night and day, how is that going to work?

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't know, I'd use electricity in winter if it was available, for heating, but I've never seen any bollards readily available. Obviously I'd want to stay overnight, maybe night and day, how is that going to work?

It works people have account's which they enter into the posts? But the reality is 14 days and you move on unless you have taken a winter mooring. It used to be cards and it might still be at Eastwood, but Doncaster has some spare posts and so do a few others. Newark has some on the Trent which were welcome when I had a inverter disaster years ago along with Bramath and maybe Thorne if I remember 

41 minutes ago, peterboat said:

We have quite a few bollards on the S&SY, I have always been surprised by how little use they get 

Unless there are leccy bollards everywhere, every boat needs to be self-sufficient without them whenever they are cruising away from the S&SY. Therefore, why would boats need to use those on the S&SY?

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Unless there are leccy bollards everywhere, every boat needs to be self-sufficient without them whenever they are cruising away from the S&SY. Therefore, why would boats need to use those on the S&SY?

I don't know but maybe they were going to be proper moorings and then got changed?

Also the lock landings are all disabled access surprisingly it was done when all the locks were electrified and made the size they are, handy for wheelchair users 

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

It works people have account's which they enter into the posts? But the reality is 14 days and you move on unless you have taken a winter mooring. It used to be cards and it might still be at Eastwood, but Doncaster has some spare posts and so do a few others. Newark has some on the Trent which were welcome when I had a inverter disaster years ago along with Bramath and maybe Thorne if I remember 

Really, I am astounded, I was being ironic to be honest, if there is electricity readily available this will transform my winter cruising plans. 

So how do I find these bollards, and where would be the best place to cc?

PS, this is all new,  I've never even heard of the S&SY,  maybe its down south...., I'll need to check out the C&RT site.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Really, I am astounded, I was being ironic to be honest, if there is electricity readily available this will transform my winter cruising plans. 

So how do I find these bollards, and where would be the best place to cc?

PS, this is all new,  I've never even heard of the S&SY,  maybe its down south...., I'll need to check out the C&RT site.

I would tell you where the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation is, but you just laughed when I last helped you.

The clue is in the name though.

52 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I would tell you where the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation is, but you just laughed when I last helped you.

The clue is in the name though.

Can't be far away, I'm in North Yorkshire, so I was right, its down south!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Can't be far away, I'm in North Yorkshire, so I was right, its down south!

Its further South yes. 🙄🙄

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I'll make no comment but just drop this here.

All electric boat by Finesse.

I have watched it being built from sheets of steel to snagging, Ricky was building it for himself but the new owners made him an offer he couldn't refuse🤣.

I like it and where it's going on the Thames it's well suited, the solar powered all the interior building apparently. They are already building an even bigger one 70 x 13.5 I think? It looked fantastic at Crick it was so different from the other widebeams moored there

48 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have watched it being built from sheets of steel to snagging, Ricky was building it for himself but the new owners made him an offer he couldn't refuse🤣.

I like it and where it's going on the Thames it's well suited, the solar powered all the interior building apparently. They are already building an even bigger one 70 x 13.5 I think? It looked fantastic at Crick it was so different from the other widebeams moored there

There is no doubting the quality of the fit out.

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There is no doubting the quality of the fit out.

I watched Ricky doing snagging, the level of detail was awesome 

Forgot to say Finesse don't make anything but electric boats now Martin, the owner of the last diesel boat was at Crick and was thinking of having them convert it to electric 

Edited by peterboat

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Yeah right, it is.

It's a mostly diesel boat. 

At 14 minutes 30 seconds in we finally see the 13.5kVA diesel generator that really powers it all, mentioned in passing and breezed past without a trace of shame or embarrassment! 

:giggles: REX

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yeah right, it is.

At 14 minutes 30 seconds in we finally see the 13.5kVA diesel generator that really powers it all, mentioned in passing and breezed past without a trace of shame or embarrassment! 

I did wonder about that when a simplified diagram of the electrical system popped up on screen clearly showing a generator.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

A lot.

There does seem to be a huge demand on board, from the kitchen appliances through to all the gizmos, I can't imagine solar coping with all of that when out cruising.

Perhaps I am wrong but I suspect it will spend much of it's time connected to shore power on a mooring. 

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There does seem to be a huge demand on board, from the kitchen appliances through to all the gizmos, I can't imagine solar coping with all of that when out cruising.

Perhaps I am wrong but I suspect it will spend much of it's time connected to shore power on a mooring. 

It is an all electric boat, part of its electrical system in a generator 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It is an all electric boat, part of its electrical system in a generator 

That doesn't read right to me.

Is the generator driven by the onboard electrics.......🤣

Edited by The Happy Nomad

42 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yeah right, it is.

10kw of solar think again 

I guess it's all electric in the sense that all the appliances and propulsion items that consume power are electric.. A home with all-electric domestic appliances could still be said to be all-electric if its electricity  came from a  coal-fired power station, or,  for a remote farm house, a local diesel generator. 

• Happy 1

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I havnt looked at the advert thingy, please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese dont tell me its also Gas Free? 🤣 I dont think I could take it :clapping:

Yup no LPG - electric ovens and microwave and an induction hob.

Not sure about the heating.