Electric Boats

peterboat

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Of course, we are now in the week with the longest hours of daylight, and have ideal weather for solar panel charging.

I've been paid £70+ this month from Octopus for my excess power generation  loving all the sunshine 🌞

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The longest day was yesterday, the nights start drawing in from tonight.

Actually, the nights don't start drawing in until next week (28th), but dawn is now getting later faster....

On 15/06/2022 at 15:43, peterboat said:

They dont know I am coming though no engine noise you see

Also, your boat must be really SLOW.

For the last week or so I've been moored between a lock and a bend in the cut. I can feel a boat coming before it appears around the bend from the advance wave moving my boat ever so slightly. Nothing to do with hearing it coming! 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Also, your boat must be really SLOW.

For the last week or so I've been moored between a lock and a bend in the cut. I can feel a boat coming before it appears around the bend from the advance wave moving my boat ever so slightly. Nothing to do with hearing it coming! 

3mph fast enough, as I have 2 weeks to get where I am going, also on days like today you can meet a proper boat coming around the corner, one weighing 1000 tons!!

So todays little run was 3.5 miles and 2 locks both manned by volunteers, these are 200 x 21 foot locks with big drops so its very helpful to have them manned, I did 3mph and it looks like just over 3.8kwhs to do the journey no genny again and drive solar is heating hot water for the shower.

Only one annoyance as I was coming to Doncaster lock I had a Narrowboat trying to overtake on my right, there wasnt room as i was over as far as id safe and on my left was debris from when the tanker went through earlier. For some reason he kept on slowing down then charging at my stern! clearly in a great hurry to go nowhere as Doncaster lock was on a go slow which I already knew about 🤣

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

So todays little run was 3.5 miles and 2 locks both manned by volunteers, these are 200 x 21 foot locks with big drops so its very helpful to have them manned, I did 3mph and it looks like just over 3.8kwhs to do the journey no genny again and drive solar is heating hot water for the shower.

Only one annoyance as I was coming to Doncaster lock I had a Narrowboat trying to overtake on my right, there wasnt room as i was over as far as id safe and on my left was debris from when the tanker went through earlier. For some reason he kept on slowing down then charging at my stern! clearly in a great hurry to go nowhere as Doncaster lock was on a go slow which I already knew about 🤣

It sounds as if he was as annoyed with having got stuck behind a boat that was happy to travel at 3mph, as you were with him trying to get past. 

Whilst a particular style of cruising may be perfect for one boat owner, it can be very frustrating indeed for another; either way.

A boat traveling at 4mph where it is safe and acceptable to do so does not interfere with a skipper who wishes to travel more slowly, it passes, if allowed to, and is often never seen again.

A boat travelling at 3mph will often  impede the progress of a faster boat, sometimes deliberately, even when passing would be safe. I'm sure you wouldn't do this Peter, but some do.

I would suggest therefore that skippers of boats wishing to travel at the speed limit are more adversely affected by boats travelling slowly than the other way around. 

I'm sure having a boat creeping up on you and trying to get past is very frustrating, but the answer is, where it is safe to do so, let them!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bargebuilder said:

It sounds as if he was as annoyed with having got stuck behind a boat that was happy to travel at 3mph, as you were with him trying to get past. 

Whilst a particular style of cruising may be perfect for one boat owner, it can be very frustrating indeed for another; either way.

A boat traveling at 4mph where it is safe and acceptable to do so does not interfere with a skipper who wishes to travel more slowly, it passes, if allowed to, and is often never seen again.

A boat travelling at 3mph will often  impede the progress of a faster boat, sometimes deliberately, even when passing would be safe. I'm sure you wouldn't do this Peter, but some do.

I would suggest therefore that skippers of boats wishing to travel at the speed limit are more adversely affected by boats travelling slowly than the other way around. 

I'm sure having a boat creeping up on you and trying to get past is very frustrating, but the answer is, where it is safe to do so, let them!

You did read the part about debris all over the river and the lock being difficult to say the least? The lock keeper would have held him back until I arrived and it was 400 yards or so. He wasn't going anywhere a d my speed was fast enough given the debris

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You did read the part about debris all over the river and the lock being difficult to say the least? The lock keeper would have held him back until I arrived and it was 400 yards or so. He wasn't going anywhere a d my speed was fast enough given the debris

I did and I'll repeat that I'm sure that your reasons for neither going faster or letting the boat behind pass were good ones.

My point was, that skippers who like to travel slowly, are in a position to force others to travel slowly behind them, whereas skippers who like to travel faster cannot force others to speed up, even if they get too close and become annoying. 

I have heard it said by slow boaters that their speed is quite fast enough and use this rather selfish and self righteous excuse for imposing their speed on others.

Speeding is of course even more of a menace and I'm certainly not condoning that.

• Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

I did and I'll repeat that I'm sure that your reasons for neither going faster or letting the boat behind pass were good ones.

My point was, that skippers who like to travel slowly, are in a position to force others to travel slowly behind them, whereas skippers who like to travel faster cannot force others to speed up, even if they get too close and become annoying. 

I have heard it said by slow boaters that their speed is quite fast enough and use this rather selfish and self righteous excuse for imposing their speed on others.

Speeding is of course even more of a menace and I'm certainly not condoning that.

15 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No boater should dictate to another boater how they use their boat.😱

Here is a picture of the back of the boat I was following which sort of churns up the river. It frees up logs, trees and other debris, this is the back half

Screenshot_20220623-222819_Gallery.jpg

Edited by peterboat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Another Cuckoo dreamer looking to make a quick pound from some young Newbie. I see no pictures of the engine and electrical set-up though.

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Another Cuckoo dreamer looking to make a quick pound from some young Newbie. I see no pictures of the engine and electrical set-up though.

"Updating in 2020 to an inboard LifePo4 11kWh battery bank increased the range up to 16 miles and provides reliable maintenance free power storage. The 16 mile range does not take the possible 5-6kWh harvested by the sun (Summer Months) in a day in to consideration."  hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

52 minutes ago, StephenA said:

"Updating in 2020 to an inboard LifePo4 11kWh battery bank increased the range up to 16 miles and provides reliable maintenance free power storage. The 16 mile range does not take the possible 5-6kWh harvested by the sun (Summer Months) in a day in to consideration."  hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

But if you only want to move a mile evert 14 days it should be OK 😈

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But if you only want to move a mile evert 14 days it should be OK 😈

That’s probably a lot to most inner London boaters.

I wonder why he moved it to the London area and never kept it in Leicester?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you seen the price of the boats on there! I have to say it looks not a bad little boat, the electric bit is a bonus, its perfik for the London shuffle, all it wants is the woodwork to be painted white emulsion 🤣

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yeahbut £54k for a 1976 Springer!!

It all looks nicely renovated and sounds well thought out, just the job for a London CCer.

No diesel genny for when God takes the sun away though.

LPG genny I read

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

LPG genny I read

Open frame site generator, on a platform hung off the stern, where it will be vulnerable to damage and theft.

First boat ad I can recall where the capability of the electrical system to run a welder has been mentioned!

Edited by David Mack

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Open frame site generator, on a platform hung off the stern, where it will be vulnerable to damage and theft.

First boat ad I can recall where the capability of the electrical system to run a welder has been mentioned!

Nice and quiet then -- that'll please the neighbours... 😞