Electric Boats

peterboat

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Even tick over is annoying to some malnourished looking boaters, living on wrecks, moored right next to bridge holes on the North Oxford. 

You mean the ones that pop up like meerkats as you approach, then grudgingly acknowledge your existence before returning grumbling to their lair as they found nothing to shout at you about? I’m always extra jovial with those :) 

21 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

You mean the ones that pop up like meerkats as you approach, then grudgingly acknowledge your existence before returning grumbling to their lair as they found nothing to shout at you about? I’m always extra jovial with those :) 

No, the ones who shout at you even though there isn't anything to shout about -- apart from their rubbish mooring techniques...

27 minutes ago, IanD said:

Also true. Either way, it's a crap way of mooring, and if people do it they can't justifiably complain to boats passing on tickover (or slowly)...

I've always assumed that certain people (we all know the type) deliberately moor badly with no springs and breast lines so slack that their boats surge both back and forth and into the waterway just to give them an excuse to bellow abuse. Rattling chains are also popular for those wanting to highlight the movement of their boat.

To spend every night of the year aboard and not to have grasped the importance of mooring properly says a great deal about the individual, as to does the sort of language used by them.

15 minutes ago, IanD said:

No, the ones who shout at you even though there isn't anything to shout about -- apart from their rubbish mooring techniques...

You obviously go too fast :D 

Some folk are just determined to be annoyed at the world

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

They dont know I am coming though no engine noise you see

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, IanD said:

That's because you are still a hire boater.

Once you get your own boat it will stop 🤭

56 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They dont know I am coming though no engine noise you see

Being hard of hearing it's not the engine I hear but the movement of the boat I feel😉

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Loddon said:

That's because you are still a hire boater.

Once you get your own boat it will stop 🤭

Being hard of hearing it's not the engine I hear but the movement of the boat I feel😉

I think you might hear this when it comes past Julian 

Screenshot_20220616-083705_Gallery.jpg

I have worked on all electric drilling rigs, they even had electric retracting pod motors for moving under their own power, but they didnt have any solar panels' or landlines, just bloody great generators . This boat is also all electric with a pod bow and stern

May be an image of body of water

As I’m a lazy so n so I haven’t read the thread. I watched a short video online of an electric scooter battery bursting into flames, quite aggressively as well. I’ve also seen battery cars doing the same. I realise not too frequently, well once seems to be the norm!

Will these electric boats do the same or at least potentially? It’s a bit of a worry innit?

Edited by Nightwatch

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

As I’m a lazy so n so I haven’t read the thread. I watched a short video online of an electric scooter battery bursting into flames, quite aggressively as well. I’ve also seen battery cars doing the same. I realise not too frequently, well once seems to be the norm!

Will these electric boats do the same or at least potentially? It’s a bit of a worry innit?

<sigh>...

No it's not a worry, as has been pointed out *many* times on CWDF the fire risk with e-scooters (and phones, and most EVs) is because they use lithium-ion batteries with chemistries like NMC which are prone to thermal runaway and very high-temperature fires if damaged.

All canal boat installations use LFP (LiFePO4) batteries which do not have this problem, if anything they are safer than lead-acid batteries because they can't release hydrogen or acid.

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

<sigh>...

No it's not a worry, as has been pointed out *many* times on CWDF the fire risk with e-scooters (and phones, and most EVs) is because they use lithium-ion batteries with chemistries like NMC which are prone to thermal runaway and very high-temperature fires if damaged.

All canal boat installations use LFP (LiFePO4) batteries which do not have this problem, if anything they are safer than lead-acid batteries because they can't release hydrogen or acid.

Did you ‘sigh’ because I couldn’t be bothered to read a thread 19 pages long or because I was ignorant of different battery systems?

Either way, thank you for the explanation. The problem I have is that I have a gigantic Diesel engine in the boat and very little space for an electric motor let alone the batteries to drive it. Could I run the electric motor by drive belt off my Diesel engine?

🤪

Edited by Nightwatch

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Did you ‘sigh’ because I couldn’t be bothered to read a thread 19 pages long or because I was ignorant of different battery systems?

Either way, thank you for the explanation. The problem I have is that I have a gigantic Diesel engine in the boat and very little space for an electric motor let alone the batteries to drive it. Could I run the electric motor by drive belt off my Diesel engine?

🤪

No, I sighed because exactly this point has been made many times in many different threads, and you admitted to being lazy instead of spending a short time searching for the answer to your question... 😉

Adding an electric motor on (drive pulley between gearbox and prop) is exactly what parallel hybrids do, like this one.

https://www.hybrid-marine.co.uk/index.php/products/narrowboat

You can certainly do this yourself if you have the required skills, especially on the electronics side including battery management. But not many people do...

26 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

300 ICE cars catch fire in the UK weekly I think? we dont see many videos about those do we?

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

300 ICE cars catch fire in the UK weekly I think? we dont see many videos about those do we?

ICE catching fire cor blimey. Oh! I see Internal Combustion Engine. But my worry is if electric boats catch fire. But I have had it explained to me now by Ian. The clip I watched of the scooter battery bursting into flames, as Far as I can tell was not the owners fault by neglect.

25 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

ICE catching fire cor blimey. Oh! I see Internal Combustion Engine. But my worry is if electric boats catch fire. But I have had it explained to me now by Ian. The clip I watched of the scooter battery bursting into flames, as Far as I can tell was not the owners fault by neglect.

It happened to several "hover boards" down mainly to cheap construction Are Hoverboards Safe? Beware of Fall & Fire Risks (prnewswire.com)

My understanding is that ICE fires can be extinguished by the fire brigade using foam. Tackling EV fires involves either submersion in a tank of water, or else being left to burn themselves out.  At least, that has been the case with the original type of battery used in EVs. Perhaps current production types are different.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My understanding is that ICE fires can be extinguished by the fire brigade using foam. Tackling EV fires involves either submersion in a tank of water, or else being left to burn themselves out.  At least, that has been the case with the original type of battery used in EVs. Perhaps current production types are different.

Last year a I3 Rex caught fire all over Facebook etc. Anyway it turns out it was the Rex that caught fire, BMW had serviced it and forgot to put the oil cap on and the dipstick back in. Anyway Rex ran oil all over hot exhaust car caught fire! Reason a dipstick forgot to put a dipstick in 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

12 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

None of which is relevant to electric boats (which use LFP batteries), the subject of this thread... 😉

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, IanD said:

None of which is relevant to electric boats (which use LFP batteries), the subject of this thread... 😉

Surely you have been on here long enough to know threads drift? 

If it irks you dont read it.

Simple.

So I am out and about on my travels, today it was a short hop from Pastures to Sprotborough hour and something and 4.6kwhs of electric used.

I have just turned the drive solar to heating water, up to press no genny needed, I have washed dishes in the dishwasher and washed clothes in the washing machine.

If I was doing this conversion again I would go a direct drive water cooled motor and 48 volts batteries along with a 48 volt inverter, I would still use the genny I have though as its the right size for the job.

Now my conversion works fine and was a very affordable conversion, the batteries were funded by the sale of my diesel engine and the other parts I had or picked up cheaply secondhand.

Tomorrow is another short hop to Doncaster, the 2 to 4 hours a day suits me as I am doing work on the boat in the hours I am moored, it seems even though I am retired I still dont have enough hours in the day to get stuff done

• Greenie 1