Electrolux 3 way fridge

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

Really? That sounds a bit crass. I'm sure the BSS has actually saved hundreds of lives. I knew very little about boat safety when I fitted out my second boat according to the BSS Essential Guide 2 (first boat was already fitted). I'm sure it's a lot safer than had I fitted it out according to my own standards. 

Most of the BSS rules are fairly sensible, and not a significant problem when fitting out from new. The BSS has stopped some of the really unsafe installations you used to come across. And probably has saved some lives, but I seriously doubt that they number in the hundreds. How many people died of boat safety issues in the years before the BSS? It can only have been a handful per year.

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Most of the BSS rules are fairly sensible, and not a significant problem when fitting out from new. The BSS has stopped some of the really unsafe installations you used to come across. And probably has saved some lives, but I seriously doubt that they number in the hundreds. How many people died of boat safety issues in the years before the BSS? It can only have been a handful per year.

Another way to look at is is :

There are some 10x as many (small leisure) boats that do not need to comply with the BSS as those that do.

How many serious accidents have occurred in that 300-400,000 boats that would not have occurred if they had been subject to a BSS survey ?

When the original safety certificates were being proposed I was on a committee representing IWA members convened by bwb . At that time it was only proposed for hire boats and house boats and had come about because of some accidents mainly involving CO from heaters. In one case the iron lift bridge at Heyford had come down on the roof of a hire boat and squashed the vent. Luckily someone realised they hadn’t seen the occupants the next morning and they were found in a bad way but alive. At one meeting I went through some accidents that had happened at Braunston and asked if the proposed regulations would have prevented any of them. Filling an outboard petrol tank in the lock whilst Mrs lit the hob, leaving a pilot light on and going back much later and lighting a cigarette , this was in a small cruiser and it blew the occupant and the cabin onto the bank, smoking in bed whilst worst for wear due to drink and setting fire to the boat.
With regard to the gas fridge we had one with out an external flue on 2 boats and the only problem was rust falling onto the burner until the door seal came apart on the last one and it was only replaceable complete with the door. Changed to 240 volt instead .

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the fridge. I've ordered a new gas jet as I think that's the problem. But I also noticed as I cleaned it all up that the silver foil like stuff wrapped round the insulation on the flue has disintegrated near the bottom. Any suggestions as to what to replace it with? I think it's only there to keep the insulation in place but obviously needs to be flame proof. The upper half of it is ok.

37 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Back to the fridge. I've ordered a new gas jet as I think that's the problem. But I also noticed as I cleaned it all up that the silver foil like stuff wrapped round the insulation on the flue has disintegrated near the bottom. Any suggestions as to what to replace it with? I think it's only there to keep the insulation in place but obviously needs to be flame proof. The upper half of it is ok.

The foil and glass insulation out of an old cooker is the same. Otherwise use glass fibre insulation or glass stove rope.

27 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The foil and glass insulation out of an old cooker is the same. Otherwise use glass fibre insulation or glass stove rope.

I took it as just the foil being damaged. If that is the case I think I would wrap it in doubled kitchen foil and stick it in place with the self adhesive aluminium tape they sell for sealing insulation joints.

• Greenie 1