Cratch Design/Profile

mark99

Featured Posts

Not sure this would pass some narrow canal bridges/tunnels without some damage?  The frame is more square than normal triangular profile.  IIRC NB Whitefields canvas "box" did not last too well?  It's not mine nor would I want one.

image.png.bd04da22cef0e3a1764b2414f9a5c344.png

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is easier to replace a bit of damaged wood than straighten out bent & buckled steel plates.

Has anyone seen this boat out and about, or is it a marina queen with a fore end potting shed come dining room? To be fair to the owner, it'll go anywhere a widebeam will and the profile is no more restrictive than many narrowboats with canvas tabernacles up front.

3 hours ago, mark99 said:

Not sure this would pass some narrow canal bridges/tunnels without some damage?  The frame is more square than normal triangular profile.  IIRC NB Whitefields canvas "box" did not last too well?  It's not mine nor would I want one.

image.png.bd04da22cef0e3a1764b2414f9a5c344.png

The "extension" is narrower than the cabin, so if the "extension" don't fit then the boat won't fit!!

4 hours ago, Theo said:

How the language changes!

When I were a lad the cratch was a locker on the back of the deckboards where the hay for the hoss was kept.

?

N

It still is as far as  I am concerned.  Here are a couple of photos I posted to illustrate the point on a similar thread in 2015, although by then there was no hay to store :-

Low1.jpg

B%2021%20Butty%20Raymond%27s%20cratch%20

Edited by David Schweizer

I met a nice chap who was taking his brand new boat home having had the builder construct a cratch board exactly the same size and shape as the front bulkhead. He had managed to miss the normal bridges from Yorkshire down to blissworth tunnel  where he hit the tunnel roof while passing another boat. The cover survived but the board was written off. They are narrow at the top for a good reason!

Edited by Mike Jordan