Expensive Tippex?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I thought I would just update those who might be interested.

We have now drawn a line under a period in Delhi's history when by complete coincidence a sequence of events meant the previous owner asked the signwriter for the name to be spelled incorrectly on the side. 

I know many of you will know the story of how it came to be but it is safe to say that for the best part of two decades the previous owner was completely justified in believing it was spelled correctly and the sign writer who did it has been getting the blame even though he was following his customers instructions. 

Before and After: (yes I know the photos are of opposite sides of the boat but it is spelled correctly on both sides! Honest!)

82804480_102694467952755_8092384539386576896_n.jpg

120047622_199731834915684_3616269171800260863_o.jpg

Edited to add this was the thread where we discussed the name and I got a PM from someone which made it all clear. Post 33 is the one you may want to read.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/104366-whats-in-a-name-or-the-spelling-of-one/&tab=comments#comment-2400460

Oh and perhaps the very honourable Mr @pete harrison would like to add a new date to his history on Delhi? 14th September 2020 - the date she left the paint dock with the original spelling on her side. 

The former owner is really happy with the change, the previous sign writer is very happy too so I think spending a bit of time trying to work out how it came to be wrong was well worth it. 

• Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I thought I would just update those who might be interested.

We have now drawn a line under a period in Delhi's history when by complete coincidence a sequence of events meant the previous owner asked the signwriter for the name to be spelled incorrectly on the side. 

I know many of you will know the story of how it came to be but it is safe to say that for the best part of two decades the previous owner was completely justified in believing it was spelled correctly and the sign writer who did it has been getting the blame even though he was following his customers instructions. 

Before and After: (yes I know the photos are of opposite sides of the boat but it is spelled correctly on both sides! Honest!)

82804480_102694467952755_8092384539386576896_n.jpg

120047622_199731834915684_3616269171800260863_o.jpg

Saw you come past us twice on your way to/from the Sammy Barlow and she looks lovely.

Oh, and having seen both sides of Delhi I can confirm that the spelling is consistent. ?

• Love 1

Just in case anyone is playing "Spot The Difference" 

We have made a few subtle changes. We have lost the "Registered at Tipton" because Delhi never had a cabin and so was never health registered. Instead we have simply added her BCN number. 

There is now an additional panel lined out on the cabin sides forward of the engine 'ole doors

We have changed the colours of the diamonds on the cabin top losing the blue that was there. 

The shiny bits forward of what would have been the traditional cabin (if she had ever had one) are now painted matt black which saves a lot of polishing and we think gives a cleaner look. It is possibly a bit contemporary for the traditionalists out there but, let's face it, if we were to revert to original she wouldn't have a cabin at all!. 

119060098_196892148532986_4227705327666960493_o.jpg

119705232_198832168338984_3550054706690593568_o.jpg

120006354_200332871522247_730061357619513560_o.jpg

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Saw you come past us twice on your way to/from the Sammy Barlow and she looks lovely.

Oh, and having seen both sides of Delhi I can confirm that the spelling is consistent. ?

Aww thank you. 

I didn't know to look out for you or we would have slowed to say hello. I think I do remember seeing your boat name somewhere? Sorry we missed you 

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

I hope they never change the name of India's capital city, like they have done with Madras and Bombay to name just 2 cities.   :unsure:

Yeah - also, those pesky Russians keep calling their capital city Moskva instead of the original British Moskow! The Chinese are at it as well! What are these Johnny foreigners up to? ;)

Edited by Sea Dog
Delhi looks fantastic by the way!

Very smart! Now if you want a really good quality wax to keep that shine - Collinite.

https://www.collinite.com/

I must confess I had never heard of it before a month ago, but was recommended it by a (other) forum colleague. It is not an abrasive wax like a 'cleaning wax' as many are, but a finishing wax. So the paint must be cleaned well before use, but the results are really good, best I've ever used and that's going back to 1964 and Porzelak - which I thought was the Bees knees. No financial interests in the Co. either.

Edited by Derek R.

11 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Stunning looking boat.

Thank you, we fell in love with her the moment we clapped eyes on her so really didn't want to change it much, just get rid of the lacquer that was peeling off in sheets!

11 hours ago, mark99 said:

Lovely - well done you guys. I do like the colour twist on the mushrooms. It picks up the theme of black/black windows. Can you name the painters and signwriters?

Yes we certainly can!

The painter is also the signwriter: Dan Holmes at Lost Art Painters, Knighton Wharf on The Shroppie. We felt it was a rather nice twist that she was being painted at a former LMS wharf! 

Dan has a Facebook page here: 

https://www.facebook.com/LostArtPainters/

He certainly put his heart and soul into painting the boat. It went back to bare metal and the signwriting was a challenge he rose to with 100 characters all needing painting 4 times! We really can't fault him as he has spent time building a relationship with us both before and during the job and was in touch with us either by messenger or phone 5 days a week throughout the job. I think he became so attached to the boat he didn't want it to leave! 

He has also been experimenting by using a different brand of paint. Since Paintman Paint in Retford supplied all the materials to paint Python there have been a number of other moorers at our club who have painted their boats using it and everyone spoke very highly of it so we had a chat with Dan and he was up for giving it a try. As we collected the boat he was telling us how impressed he is with the coverage of he paint and the shine he can achieve that he is considering switching across to using it for all his work. We have also trialed a product called Raptor on the tug deck and counter (again supplied by Paintman) It is non-slip and tough as old boots and can be mixed to any colour you want. We will see how it stands up to some abuse in time. 

https://paintman.co.uk/

10 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I hope they never change the name of India's capital city, like they have done with Madras and Bombay to name just 2 cities.   :unsure:

There is some talk of reverting to the pre- colonial name but it won't make any difference because Delhi was named after the railway station as it was in 1930 and so nothing will change about that. 

5 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Very smart! Now if you want a really good quality wax to keep that shine - Collinite.

https://www.collinite.com/

I must confess I had never heard of it before a month ago, but was recommended it by a (other) forum colleague. It is not an abrasive wax like a 'cleaning wax' as many are, but a finishing wax. So the paint must be cleaned well before use, but the results are really good, best I've ever used and that's going back to 1964 and Porzelak - which I thought was the Bees knees. No financial interests in the Co. either.

Thanks for the tip. We will have a look at that. We have  to leave it 5 weeks before we polish it and I can see why because in the heat we had last week you could still smell the paint vapours coming off the boat. There are a lot of coats to dry out though! 

Having just seen the boat in the flesh it looks stunning. I've also been in the saloon and can say that the standard of fit out is excellent. The boat is all ash which has been carefully matched and put together. There is a little quirk from the previous owner that I'm going to rectify over the next few days. Overall this is a class boat - it will turn heads wherever it goes.

9 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

I've said it on Farcebook & I'll say it here...she's an absolute stunner & you must hug yourselves every day as she's your boat !?

Thank you ? ? 

We do still pinch ourselves to check we haven't been dreaming, even after owning her for over a year. Now I do a double take when I see her because she looks the same but shiny! 

8 hours ago, Richard T said:

Having just seen the boat in the flesh it looks stunning. I've also been in the saloon and can say that the standard of fit out is excellent. The boat is all ash which has been carefully matched and put together. There is a little quirk from the previous owner that I'm going to rectify over the next few days. Overall this is a class boat - it will turn heads wherever it goes.

Thank you Richard, it was lovely to see you both yesterday and it will be good to finish off that little amendment to a previous design that never happened. 

I can share pictures when it's done 

I don't understand why this country always feels obliged to fall into line with African and Far Eastern countries when they change the names of their cities and countries: we have seldom done it for european countries or cities and they have seldom done it for ours. London is Londres to the French and Londra to the Italians, likewise England is Angleterre and Inglaterra respectively. Conversely, to us, München is Munich, Wien is Vienna, Österreich is Austria and Suomi is Finland.  So why shouldn''t we continue to use estabished place names like Bombay, Burma and Pekin? Or Delhi?

Edited by Ronaldo47
Typos
  • Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I don't understand why this country always feels obliged to fall into line with African and Far Eastern countries when they change the names of their cities and countries: we have seldom done it for european countries or cities and they have seldom done it for ours. London is Londres to the French and Londra to the Italians, likewise England is Angleterre and Inglaterra respectively. Conversely, to us, München is Munich, Wien is Vienna, Österreich is Austria and Suomi is Finland.  So why shouldn''t we continue to use estabished place names like Bombay, Burma and Pekin? Or Delhi?

I think it normally lies in a respect for the rejection of colonialism or the result of some cataclysmic political event. But this is not the thread to discuss it.

Perhaps do a bit of reading on the subject.?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think it normally lies in a respect for the rejection of colonialism or the result of some cataclysmic political event. But this is not the thread to discuss it.

Perhaps do a bit of reading on the subject.?

No perhaps go to bed Martin

25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

No perhaps go to bed Martin

?

I wasnt addressing you on this thread so why the need to get so tetchy here?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

I think anyone who questions a countries own desire to change the name or spelling of a place in that country really does need to do a bit of research into the history of how our country affected the history of that country to be able to make informed comment. 

After all we could have had the name signwritten on the side like this:

दिल्ली

It is also the case that when the indigenous language of a country does not use our alphabet the spelling of a  translation can have some quirks because there is not always a letter in our own alphabet that is a direct translation for the sound of a letter in their alphabet.

You only have to look at how many different spellings you will find for poppadom/poppadum/papadum/pappadum/papodum. 

Who is to say which of them are wrong? We all know what they are and the changes in spelling may be accounted for by different Indian dialects affecting the translation - or simply people who struggle to spell! 

• Greenie 1

On 25/09/2020 at 10:34, Murflynn said:

On 25/09/2020 at 10:49, matty40s said:

I thought they'd just cut and shut them....Mumbai

Two cities. They were always Mumbai and Chennai, and they are still more than 1300km apart, on opposite sides of the subcontinent.

Bombay duck; Bombay cat; Bombay gin - they haven't changed, and at school we had a maths teacher, Miss French, who came from Bombay and very proud of it she was. Had a terrible temper! Apparently as a noun, it is considered an insult! But not as a proper noun. Chennai Curry doesn't trip off the tongue so easy either.