Books on narrowboat renovations

robmaci

Featured Posts

Hello!

I was wondering if there was some kind of "bible" on all one needs to know to renovate a narrowboat from top to bottom?  Would love a cohesive text, like an encyclopedia of troubleshooting etc etc

I have a feeling I'm going to need to buy these piece meal!

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

“The Narrowboat Builders Book” by Graham Booth. 

I don’t know when it was last updated, so some of the info might be a little dated now, but this certainly used to be ‘the bible’. 

I think it's now on the third version, but any version, will give a good idea of how most simply systems should work.

Bod

I'd agree with all the comments on TB's TNBB above. Bear in mind that the subtitle is 'The Complete Guide to fitting out a narrowboat' so it depends on what you mean by renovation as to how relevant it is to the work that you're considering. A good read, but I wouldn't describe it as a reference, particularly on discussion of equipment available where it may be outdated. It's not comprehensive (can't check right now as the cat's on my lap, but I'd be willing to bet e.g., that there's no mention of limber holes iirc) and that may be because it's written from his experience of his boat. Not all boats are the same. Maybe there's a book out there written by someone with many years of experience of working on many different boats. Anyway, that's what makes this forum such a great resource.

Edited by Sir Percy

I love the 'dry biological' euphamism. Made I nearly wet....

Perhaps it's because my youthful summer holidays were punctuated by visits to the mahogany loo (no, not the Garde robe popular in Royal palaces and castles) but a special two handled bucket (I have it here) and a pan full of sawdust to cover the horrors.

One's gardener had some lovely vegetables, which everyone enjoyed....

Too prissy nowadays, methinks...