Llangollen 1976

booke23

Featured Posts

Good spot. You could be right.

The footage was recorded from a tv broadcast some time ago. The continuity announcer said it was a series from 1976. However other sources on the internet list it as 1978.

One thing is certain......it was not later than 1979 as that is when Chas sold Chiltern.  

3 hours ago, booke23 said:

Good spot. You could be right.

The footage was recorded from a tv broadcast some time ago. The continuity announcer said it was a series from 1976. However other sources on the internet list it as 1978.

One thing is certain......it was not later than 1979 as that is when Chas sold Chiltern.  

If guessing I would say 1978 as most of the locks still had the old ground paddle gear and think it was around this time the modern stuff was fitted en masse.

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

I also loved the bit where they operated the lift bridge by throwing the rope over the counterweight. I presume they were all like that originally? It lifts from the other (towpath) side now, must be awkward if you are horse-drawn.

The book 'Three girls on a boat' is a good read and gives a great description of what the Llangollen was like in 1963. Lift bridges are mentioned...Wrenbury main lift bridge had a winch and chain to lift the bridge, one (New Mills?) is mentioned as having no chain and the need to improvise and the others had the dangling chain to jump onto.

Edited by Philip