Barnton Tunnel closed

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, Jerra said:

and me.

Not I..

Putting on cardi and woolen jersey -

when I were a lad, mebe a milennium ago it was infra dig / not kosher/ not done / whatever  to have any fenders down while cruising and (though I never tested it) NONE of the respected boatbuilders (sadly all now 'passed away') would dream of fitting attachments for what pass as 'fenders' nowadays because of the danger of being caught up in locks and other hazards.

Hey, ho  - boating has changed, it's more about living aboard, statically and only using the boat to go for water and provisions.

Stupidly I consider boats were for

cruising the system,

taking an interest of the locality through which one passes,

considerig other boaters,

having one's connection with whoever is local and whatever is local.

Enough - I've more to say, but I doubt if the readership is particularly interested (other than some of the regulars)..

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Not I..

when I were a lad, mebe a milennium ago it was infra dig / not kosher/ not done / whatever  to have any fenders down while cruising and (though I never tested it) NONE of the respected boatbuilders (sadly all now 'passed away') would dream of fitting attachments for what pass as 'fenders' nowadays because of the danger of being caught up in locks and other hazards.

Hey, ho  - boating has changed, it's more about living aboard, statically and only using the boat to go for water and provisions.

cruising the system,

Enough - I've more to say, but I doubt if the readership is particularly interested (other than some of the regulars)..

I used to do a bit of racing in the Solent and once or twice we did forget to get the fenders in. Within minutes some retired old navy bloke in a lovely wooden motor cruiser would hammer up towards us and dish out a huge telling off. The memory has stayed with me and whenever I forget to lift the fenders on the cut I feel incredible guilty and wait for the shouting....and on the cut getting the fenders in is important, on the sea its just tradition and etiquette.   ?

..................Dave

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Not I..

cruising the system,

Dunno what any of that has to do with this thread?

But at least you got it if your chest and hopefully feel better for it ?

NBW reported:

"The fire people went into the tunnel to confirm that all was safe, then the rescue people entered the tunnel to rescue the two crews and a dog.  It is understood that they were hire boaters, with the crews abandoning their holidays after the traumatic event and returning home."

Yet the fire service (https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/news-events/incidents/collision-between-two-boats-in-barnton) say that firefighters rescued the two 'pilots' and a dog, and make no reference either to separate entry by "fire people" and "rescue people", neither do they refer to any other crew members.

Our man on the ground reported in the other thread that far from being hire boaters who abandoned their holidays, both of the rescued chaps were single handed boat owners who waited around the following day while the boats were unwedged.

So most of the NBW report seems to be wrong!

Both reports are wrong.

Both boats were new liveaboards who had decided that mooring in the tunnel had benefits.

Firstly they could find somewhere to tie up that was quiet.

Secondly they thought it might be warm and cosy to keep the rooftop crap dry

Thirdly no pesky enforcement staff would bother them.

It went horribly wrong on the re opening of canals post covid when some hire boat decided to go through the fume filled tunnel, the smoke caused by the incessant running of knackered 1.5 bmcs because the solar wasnt working well.

This report came from Conservative hq, so must be wholly accurate.

The hirer was requested to do a U turn at the entrance to the tunnel ,but claimed it was impossible. The incident was deemed to be his fault.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2