Harecastle Tunnel employees to be made redundant.

wandering snail

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

As I understand it CaRT can't make anyone redundant unless the jobs have disappeared.  If they replace the paid staff by volunteers, surely they will be breaking employment laws. The lawyers will have a field day.

It's not too difficult to get around that.  Make a few changes to the job description, change the job title. 

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Make a few changes to the job description, change the job title. 

"Tunnel Keeper" now becomes "Volunteer door and fan operative"

The original job specification would have included 'working hours', if C&RT continue to run the tunnel on 'reduced hours' then the original job specification become null & void, and a new "Part Time Role" job specification will be needed.

26 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It's not too difficult to get around that.  Make a few changes to the job description, change the job title. 

From the Gov. website.    https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/being-selected-for-redundancy

Unfair selection

You cannot be selected for the following reasons - your redundancy would be classed as an unfair dismissal:

• sex
  • gender reassignment
  • marital status
  • sexual orientation
  • race
  • disability
  • religion or belief
  • your membership or non-membership of a trade union
  • health and safety activities
  • working pattern, for example part-time or fixed-term employees
  • maternity leave, birth or pregnancy
  • paternity leave, parental or dependants leave
  • you’re exercising your statutory rights
  • whistleblowing, for example making disclosures about your employer’s wrongdoing
  • taking part in lawful industrial action lasting 12 weeks or less
  • taking action on health and safety grounds
  • doing jury service
  • you’re the trustee of a company pension scheme

As most of the tunnel staff are seasonal this would apply :-          working pattern, for example part-time or fixed-term employees 

Edited by Flyboy

9 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

From the Gov. website.    https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/being-selected-for-redundancy

Unfair selection

You cannot be selected for the following reasons - your redundancy would be classed as an unfair dismissal:

• sex
  • gender reassignment
  • marital status
  • sexual orientation
  • race
  • disability
  • religion or belief
  • your membership or non-membership of a trade union
  • health and safety activities
  •  
  • maternity leave, birth or pregnancy
  • paternity leave, parental or dependants leave
  • you’re exercising your statutory rights
  • whistleblowing, for example making disclosures about your employer’s wrongdoing
  • taking part in lawful industrial action lasting 12 weeks or less
  • taking action on health and safety grounds

• doing jury service
  • you’re the trustee of a company pension scheme

As most of the tunnel staff are seasonal this would apply :-          working pattern, for example part-time or fixed-term employees 

If you're right and the staff are seasonal, then no redundancies will be required.  No new contracts need be issued.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If you're right and the staff are seasonal, then no redundancies will be required.  No new contracts need be issued.

That's what they told me last year - all on seasonal contracts. With an agency. But I've known some of them for many years, and will miss them.

And still no explanation for the need to book.

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 09:12, Mike Todd said:

But that is a definition of charity with a small c. CaRT, however, is a Registered Charity, with capital letters, which is defined and regulated by law and does not depend at all on what a dictionary, or anyone else, chooses to define it. There may well also be organisations that fit the above dictionary descriptions but, if not Registered then neither their obligations and benefits, and those of their donors, are protected.

Interestingly, as the purpose of creating the Charity Commission, which registers charities and regulates them, was to provide such protection, the requirement to cite the charity number in many places has led to many donors and grant givers to use this as a primary form of identity check and 'guarantee' that the recipient is genuine etc. There are exceptions known as Exempt Charities. They have the general benefits of being a Registered Charity but self regulate or are regulated separately. One of the most numerous are the Parochial Church Councils which form the legal basis of each CofE parish/parish church. The lack of a charity number can sometimes be a pain!

I meant a Registered Charity in general -which was the point being made in the post to which I referred. At some level, all charities have to make a profit in the long term or, like any organisation, they go bust. 

With my pedantic head on;

PCCs are an excepted charity, rather than an exempt charity.

Exempt charities are outwith the purview of the charity commission.

Excepted Charities are not registered, but are regulated by the charity commission

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is the same for the lock keepers on the Weaver, not all get back the next year

That’s how I understand it. 
Same with any CRT seasonal worker Including those at Bingley 5 Rise. 

Didn’t know they were agency though. 

Just for info there are currently three transits a day in each direction. 0800, 1000 and 1200 heading south. 0900,  1100 and 1300 heading north.

On our northern passage we were the only boat and coming back yesterday at 1200 there were four boats, the other three being hire boats going back to Festival Park. Nothing was waiting to head North so not exactly over subscribed

8 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Our paths crossed at lock 26. Have a good trip. Good social distancing in place at the plume of feathers, the holy Inadequate Etruria and the queen's head Congleton.

Thats 2 members I have met today, wife in stripy jumper?

20 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just sent my email in to book for next week

Reply with booking came through at 0707 this morning

• Greenie 1