Harecastle Tunnel employees to be made redundant.

wandering snail

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I am astounded at the dreadful standards of construction, materials eg untreated wood on structural edifices, it's downright dangerous. I don't know how to compain effectively. Obviously call centre is useless inthis regard.

I intend to send a pdf type report to Richard Parry with a hard copy to the contracts manager and Richard Parry, is there a H&S manager, everyone's a manager these days it seems.

Can you give examples please, your engineering expertise on such matters would be most enlightening.

I'm cynical about vollies "strengthening the team". Have any paid staff lost hours to vollies? Are any vollies working unsupervised. Something CRT promised wouldn't happen. 

I have been trying to get a sensible answer from CRT as to why Covid requires the current system.   So far I have received one verbal placebo/smoke screen but no sensible reason  In fact not reply at all to two emails to different people.

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I have been trying to get a sensible answer from CRT as to why Covid requires the current system.   So far I have received one verbal placebo/smoke screen but no sensible reason  In fact not reply at all to two emails to different people.

I'm intending on writing myself. Be interesting to see what we get.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2020 at 23:38, Machpoint005 said:

RNLI lifeboat crews have always been volunteers.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Apart from the crew based at Spurn Head, They are full time paid crew due to the location. As are the crews on the River Thames in London.

Edited by nbfiresprite

5 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Apart from the crew based at Spurn Head, They are full time paid crew due to the location. As are the crews on the River Thames in London.

We often moored on the buoy adjacent to the Spurn Head Lifeboat - they didn't hang about when departing on a 'shout'.

IMG_20160723_052113.jpg

11 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Passed through Harecastle yesterday without drama. Didn't recognise the tunnel keepers and we were last boat of the day despite there being two queueing at the northern portal. 

And then we found The Blue Bell wasn't open

We were on the water point when you entered the tunnel.

Have been moored at southern end since and not many boats through yesterday.

From Narrowboat world

Harecastle keepers to be sacked

PUBLISHED: WEDNESDAY, 23 SEPTEMBER 2020

THE regular keepers at Harecastle Tunnel are to be made redundant and replaced by volunteers.

This is the latest attempt by Canal & River Trust to get rid of more of its workers and replace them with unpaid  volunteers.

Harecastle suspectDisgusted how they are treated

The keepers are disgusted by the way their faithful service is being rewarded, and are telling boaters that are passing through the tunnel of the situation and that they are to be replaced by 28 volunteers.

The keepers had an inkling that CaRT was about to get rid of them when the days of opening were severely curtailed, even though after the pandemic the number of boats using the tunnel had increased dramatically.

Taken the jobs of workers

We wonder how these volunteers will react when told by boaters—as they certainly are going to be—that they have taken the jobs of workers and caused them to be sacked?  For that is exactly what they have done.

And how about CaRT's much valued Health & Safety—with amateurs in control of such a dangerous environment?

And they have also got rid of most of their towpath fund raisers, no redundancy money as although these staff believed they were CRT employers CRT now claims they were agency staff.   What is going on? I wonder if CRT suspect the sought after government grant is not going to materialise so all this cycling investment and rebranding as a welbeing trust etc was wasted money and somebody has to pay the price, and its not going to be the new "engagement officers" and other office staff.

..................Dave.

No doubt this why we now have to book for the tunnel, as there's going to be some very cross people if the volunteers don't turn up. There's already been one occasion when the fan didn't get turned on, and if you have volunteers manning the tug?

The whole rationale for booking being due to Covid is obvious nonsense. Hey ho.

24 minutes ago, dmr said:

And they have also got rid of most of their towpath fund raisers,

Would this be by any chance because C&RT was paying the fund raisers more than they were actually bringing in ?

Figures up to a couple of years ago (20128) which are carefully hidden in the annual accounts but are there to be found :

Voluntary income was £3.4m last year. Expenditure raising that income was £3.9m. Loss £500,000. 

Allan Albert has said "I've just crunched the figures and the cumulative loss for 'fundraising' over the first six years of the Trust is £5.5m"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would this be by any chance because C&RT was paying the fund raisers more than they were actually bringing in ?

Figures up to a couple of years ago (20128) which are carefully hidden in the annual accounts but are there to be found :

Voluntary income was £3.4m last year. Expenditure raising that income was £3.9m. Loss £500,000. 

Allan Albert has said "I've just crunched the figures and the cumulative loss over the first six years of the Trust is £5.5m"

I think CRT have maybe already accepted this and said that the "friends" scheme was more about getting people involved than raising money, not itself a bad idea, though likely just a way of putting a good spin on a bad result.

................Dave