View New Content empty?

Kudzucraft

Featured Posts

I always use the View New Content link at the top of the page. This morning it shows nothing.  That is that there is now new content and of course there is.

I tried two computer and different browsers.  Same result.  

Tried a few  hours latter and same thing when there is clearly new content.

55 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

I always use the View New Content link at the top of the page. This morning it shows nothing.  That is that there is now new content and of course there is.

I tried two computer and different browsers.  Same result.  

Tried a few  hours latter and same thing when there is clearly new content.

That's right, as already mentioned by David S. in another thread an hour or so before you. It was O.K. for me until about lunchtime.

Last time it happened I commented that VNC was working, but didn't seem to be listing all the new content. RichM explained that whenever it crashes the system has to trawl through the database and rebuild the list of new content, which takes a little while. So if you interrogate it at the wrong time you will get an incomplete listing. It all sorts itsekf after a while though.

Unfortunately there is no useful information in the logs as to why this happens and the service always needs restarting to bring it back to life. There does not appear to be any major change in server resource utilisation at the time when the search engine fell over, so no explanation there either. All I know is that it only happens when it's running on the same server as the rest of the site. If the search engine (ElasticSearch) is hosted on a separate server, the issue does not appear to occur or at least from previous testing. 

A cron job to restart the service periodically and/or a script to auto restart the service when/if it goes down may help but it isn't really getting to the root of the issue hence I never did either of those, though I think it's either that or move elasticsearch to another server or upgrade/replace the existing one, unless anyone has any better ideas.