Favourite Towpath Spots

rustynewbery

Featured Posts

When on the Coventry, we have liked  to stop between br33 and 34.  Last week, another boater moored up and told me that there were instances of theft from boats including bikes and solar panels.  The footpath from br33 up towards Hartshill has also been blocked by the farmer.

Anyone had any adverse experiences long this stretch of cut?

4 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

The footpath from br33 up towards Hartshill has also been blocked by the farmer.

that's actually a right of way, so if it has been blocked off then it needs reporting really.

Have moored on that stretch plenty and know other boaters who do, have never heard of anything bad happening there.

Same as most spots, only takes one bad experience and a boater to tell someone about it and it spreads.

On 23/09/2020 at 12:09, rustynewbery said:

The footpath from br33 up towards Hartshill has also been blocked by the farmer.

Definitely needs reporting if that has been done. Only real alternative to get to Hartshill is to use the unpaved steep and unsafe road. It might be worth pointing out to the council just how unsafe the route is now. 

It is actually a criminal offence for a farmer to illegally block a footpath. 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, reg said:

Definitely needs reporting if that has been done. Only real alternative to get to Hartshill is to use the unpaved steep and unsafe road. It might be worth pointing out to the council just how unsafe the route is now. 

It is actually a criminal offence for a farmer to illegally block a footpath. 

Not sure what you are referring to as unpaved. The nearest road I can see on OS is from Br 32 which, I believe, quite a well used road. The footpath from Br 33 appears to g across the middle of a ploughed/sown field so 'blockage' is likely to be either hedge or by not re-instating the line of the path after sowing (as too often happens!) It would be interesting to have a bit more detail and photo.

Thread description has proper thrown me! I clicked expecting to pass on my local towpath mooring spots, that I stop off at when picking up gas or after a pump out, and it seems to be about thefts on a specific spot and a towpath closure.

*I've not had any problems on the Coventry Canal in the short time I've been cruising!