When to remove masking tape when painting panels?

Petalsnow

Featured Posts

Hi, We have painted the outside of the panels on our sides and are yet to paint the actual panels. We have heard that we need to remove the tape whilst the paint is still wet - but won't have painted the inside of the panels until later this week.

When do you recommend taking the masking tape off?

Do we remove the masking tape straight after painting the final coat of the outside of the panels, then re-mask when we come to paint the inside of the panels?

Do we just leave the masking tape on, even though it'll be another 4 days until we finish painting the inside of these panels?

We are painting over night because of work so time is a little scarce.

This is where we are up to: https://www.instagram.com/theadventuresofdreamcatcher/

Thanks so much for your guidance!

Gemma

Gad to see you're using the green tape.

My own opinion - take the tape off as soon as you've completed the top-coat and it's gone 'tacky'. Leave this for a few days to harden, then re-mask for the details.

Again, my opinion - 4 days won't be too bad in the current conditions, but to be safe, I wouldn't leave masking tape on that long.

Sounds a bit of a faff, but much better than having to scrape off dried tape, then rub the paintwork down and start again!!

Kevin

• Greenie 1

Agreed, as soon as you can remove it without peeling the paint off.  Its much worse to leave it if it gets wet, you will end up repainting.

There are better tapes that will give you more time but they are expensive. For coach lines you really should use 3M fine lining tape, it peels off easily and gives a very sharp edge to the line.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Kendorr said:

Gad to see you're using the green tape.

My own opinion - take the tape off as soon as you've completed the top-coat and it's gone 'tacky'. Leave this for a few days to harden, then re-mask for the details.

Again, my opinion - 4 days won't be too bad in the current conditions, but to be safe, I wouldn't leave masking tape on that long.

Sounds a bit of a faff, but much better than having to scrape off dried tape, then rub the paintwork down and start again!!

Kevin

We are actually in a dock so under cover, would that make a difference to your answer?
We have a number of coats to do on the actual panel so don't have the time to wait for the outer paint to harden more than a day.

That's why I thought that we would be four days until we could definitely take the tape off (if we left it on). We would have one day of drying on the outer and then a layer a day for the gloss panels.

Or is it all because of the tape that has been stuck to the paint for a while is a risk?

Thanks
Gemma

Pro painter watching me paint undercover last week advised me to ideally to remove tape as soon as  completed painting and remask between every coat to ensure edge of paint flows and seals the previously masked edge.

This was after I undercoated, topcoated and final topcoat only removing tape immediately after the final coat. I got away with doing it my way but it was not ideal I guess. There seems to be an efficient way to removed masking which for me is to peel off, move tape 180 degrees backwards and up at angle of 45 or 60 degrees up and away from painted line.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Petalsnow said:

Hi, We have painted the outside of the panels on our sides and are yet to paint the actual panels. We have heard that we need to remove the tape whilst the paint is still wet - but won't have painted the inside of the panels until later this week.

When do you recommend taking the masking tape off?

Do we remove the masking tape straight after painting the final coat of the outside of the panels, then re-mask when we come to paint the inside of the panels?

Do we just leave the masking tape on, even though it'll be another 4 days until we finish painting the inside of these panels?

We are painting over night because of work so time is a little scarce.

This is where we are up to: https://www.instagram.com/theadventuresofdreamcatcher/

Thanks so much for your guidance!

Gemma

The longer you intend to need masking in place, the better the quality has to be. Decorator's masking tape is only good for quick jobs. Decorator's tape is also not good at giving a clean edge. Tape that is pulled off shortly after the paint has set a bit will leave a softer edge to the finish. You are only in danger of pulling paint off with the tape, if you have not keyed up well enough the surface you have painted on. A high build up of paint on the tape will also make life harder.

You should not apply tape too soon to a freshly painted surface, it will leave a tape texture impression in the fresh painted surface. On a hot day, the paint should be ok to tape the following day. In colder weather, it could be 48hrs or longer. 

As said, damp weather could cause problems with the tape. But, the higher quality tape will resist wrinkling with the damp. 

Don't allow too many coats of paint to build up on the tape. 

3Ms 2090 was the tape I used, where it mattered. Usually also had some 6mm and 12mm vinyl - 3Ms variety, for tight corners.  

Edited by Higgs

6 hours ago, Petalsnow said:

We are actually in a dock so under cover, would that make a difference to your answer?
We have a number of coats to do on the actual panel so don't have the time to wait for the outer paint to harden more than a day.

That's why I thought that we would be four days until we could definitely take the tape off (if we left it on). We would have one day of drying on the outer and then a layer a day for the gloss panels.

Or is it all because of the tape that has been stuck to the paint for a while is a risk?

Thanks
Gemma

Hi Gemma

I'm no expert, just going by what I found out and tried out for myself a couple of years ago.

Kevin

I 've just ordered a frog tape for glossy paints, it is orange, but is not the dreaded Orange Peel which stuck like ???? to a woolen blanket after about 4 days when temperatures were over 30 ....... I have been removing it with almost boiling water and thumbnails, seeems to work, very prolonged process.

On 23/09/2020 at 11:49, Petalsnow said:

Thanks
Gemma

Four days is no problem, if you've been using a good quality tape. You have to make the right choices for the type of tape you use, and decide if the paint it's being applied to is ready to take tape. 

22 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

B&Q tape said don't leave in place for more than 24 hours, I can vouch for the fact it becomes difficult to remoce after that

If that's what the packaging says, best to stick to the information. Other tapes can be left on a lot longer. 

Drat, I should have read this thread before repairing and repainting the tail end of my cockpit hatch, cream with blue edging, my first real attempt at outside painting.  After masking and painting the blue edging i removed the masking tape after a few hours when the paint appeared almost dry on a warm sunny day. Unfortunately the blue had crept minutely under the tape edge and left a slighly ragged appearance instead of a nice clean line even after I thought I had pressed the edge of the tape down firmly prior to painting.  I,ll assume it was the masking tape quality maybe at fault unless anyone can enlighten me.  As I said, I,m a novice at painting, but an advocate of " a man on a galloping horse wont notice it " ! 

20 minutes ago, Irob said:

Drat, I should have read this thread before repairing and repainting the tail end of my cockpit hatch, cream with blue edging, my first real attempt at outside painting.  After masking and painting the blue edging i removed the masking tape after a few hours when the paint appeared almost dry on a warm sunny day. Unfortunately the blue had crept minutely under the tape edge and left a slighly ragged appearance instead of a nice clean line even after I thought I had pressed the edge of the tape down firmly prior to painting.  I,ll assume it was the masking tape quality maybe at fault unless anyone can enlighten me.  As I said, I,m a novice at painting, but an advocate of " a man on a galloping horse wont notice it " ! 

If you are wanting a sharp edge to the paint it is much better to use fine lining tape from 3Ms, available from auto refinishing outlets.

Even good masking tape leaves an inferior edge compared with the right stuff.

55 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you are wanting a sharp edge to the paint it is much better to use fine lining tape from 3Ms, available from auto refinishing outlets.

Or EBay, or Amazon, or lots of other outlets...

eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tape-Masking-471-9-52-32-9/dp/B00OI71KFK