Ribble Link

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I actually found slightly reassuring.  The boat did not sink and all were safe.  A good result really!  As they were going to Preston they would have been pushing a falling tide, so I wonder how far they were taken towards Lytham Before running aground.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I actually found slightly reassuring.  The boat did not sink and all were safe.  A good result really!  As they were going to Preston they would have been pushing a falling tide, so I wonder how far they were taken towards Lytham Before running aground.

Three miles short of Preston Dock would put them about two miles upstream of the Douglas at Three Mile Perch (not really Lytham St Annes!)

Edited by Mike Todd

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes, a fair point. I read it that the floating off was the tricky bit, on locations like this a flood tide can generate a very strong current that - if it is in the wrong direction - can roll a boat over.

5 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, a fair point. I read it that the floating off was the tricky bit, on locations like this a flood tide can generate a very strong current that - if it is in the wrong direction - can roll a boat over.

Yes, you can see with the speed of the tide there that could be dangerous. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Do you have a linky? Considering that we didnt have a low pressure system or gale force winds, that's quite worrying!

Here's a video by Rosemary Mills on the "spotted on the wash" Facebook group.  Also a screen scrape, looking upstream.  The water is overflowing the inner gate (the narrowboat has sensibly moored as far from the gate as possible!), and over the lock wall between the lock and the sluice. I think it has to get a bit higher before it comes over the top at Salters Lode.

DENVER.jpg.3a2bbcab5d3039b892d67f7f5db98fd2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/792805894253867/permalink/1327127397488378/