Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Hi whilst changing my oil filter on an Isuzu 42 Aqualine boat , I found a screw dangling down beside it, lying vertically, I can’t see anywhere where it may of come from, any ideas, the screw is about two inches long. I had a boat Safety Scheme engineer in the engine bay recently, and I did at one point, hear a noise like he had slipped, I’m hoping something may have fallen from his pocket! Any ideas or advice ?

A1C6BA56-E29D-4EDC-8439-42B9897CC0BC.jpeg

As a friend of mine is wont to say... “Let it develop”. If that screw gains a mate and then another then something’s about to fall off. When it does you’ll know where it came from...

Could well have dropped out of a pocket, yes. 

I would be looking for a hole showing marks like paint damage where it may have come from and/other Allen key headed bolts that may indicate.

As it's silly Tuesday and everyone on here is bored out of their minds, I feel free to be pedantic.

The fixing shown is a bolt - not a screw. (the latter is threaded all the way along it's length).

Sensibly - could it be out of the gearbox??

• Greenie 2

It's an integral part of the Cattery Violation Witch.

Looks like something from a water pump, or thermostat housing.

That’s a socket head screw and it looks like it’s been used as the threads are marked there’s oil on the shaft and maybe thread lock on the threads so I would have a good look for where it’s come from 

Graham

Consider yourself lucky... I found two engine mounting bolts in my engine bay a while back.  Clearly the engineer who remounted the engine didn't bother to do them up properly because they've been fine ever since I tightened them up.  Cowboys.

• Horror 1

11 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Consider yourself lucky... I found two engine mounting bolts in my engine bay a while back.  Clearly the engineer who remounted the engine didn't bother to do them up properly because they've been fine ever since I tightened them up.  Cowboys.

That "Engineer" would have been a mechanic if you were lucky, but you clearly weren't lucky, so he was, as you say, probably a cowboy. There: situation clarified - no real Engineers were hurt in the making of this post. :)

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That "Engineer" would have been a mechanic if you were lucky, but you clearly weren't lucky, so he was, as you say, probably a cowboy. There: situation clarified - no real Engineers were hurt in the making of this post. :)

More like a fitter  fits and forget

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Your boat lays bolts as well - thought it was just mine!

Count yourself lucky, mine sneakily laid bolts and then pooped its water pump pully

1 hour ago, jacko264 said:

That’s a socket head screw and it looks like it’s been used as the threads are marked there’s oil on the shaft and maybe thread lock on the threads so I would have a good look for where it’s come from 

Graham

It was just hanging underneath where I took the oil filter off it had got caught by a cable, the oil was from the filter, thought it might be recognised, but I will carry on and hope as I can’t see anywhere above it could of come from, thanks for replies everyone.

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It does provoke the image of an 'engineer' sitting astride an engine a whoopin' and a hollerin', waving his stetson around.

I thought they were called gas safe engineers, but what’s in a name.

The screw/bolt was just below and to the left of where you can see the fitting for the oil filter that I had taken off, it was just nestling between that blackish type hose and the engine.

7FA7FDC2-8B9A-44BF-8D2C-48514DA8C111.jpeg

18 minutes ago, RichLech said:

Check all the alternator fixing and adjustment bolts. 

That would be my first check point too.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

A mechanic is, or was, a highly skilled person able to rebuild engines and rebuild all the various ancillary components, maybe the person concerned was a second rate fitter.

................Dave

And the engine was designed in the first place by an engineer (mechanical variety). He (or she) probably didn't intend the socket head bolts to be left loose.

You have obviously never worked with some of the comedians I have who would leave a little extra on your job for you. 🥵

1 hour ago, dmr said:

A mechanic is, or was, a highly skilled person able to rebuild engines and rebuild all the various ancillary components, maybe the person concerned was a second rate fitter.

................Dave

Exactly why I said:

"would have been a mechanic if you were lucky, but you clearly weren't lucky"

:)

15 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Can you take a photo of above the photo you have taken all ready please 

I tried but it says I can only upload 2.93mb 

?

I have had another look and see where it could come from, but it’s not from gear box or alternator, too far away and no empty holes I can see, so I will just go ahead , and hope it’s what the mechanic dropped