Screw loose

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi whilst changing my oil filter on an Isuzu 42 Aqualine boat , I found a screw dangling down beside it, lying vertically, I can’t see anywhere where it may of come from, any ideas, the screw is about two inches long. I had a boat Safety Scheme engineer in the engine bay recently, and I did at one point, hear a noise like he had slipped, I’m hoping something may have fallen from his pocket! Any ideas or advice ?

A1C6BA56-E29D-4EDC-8439-42B9897CC0BC.jpeg

As a friend of mine is wont to say... “Let it develop”. If that screw gains a mate and then another then something’s about to fall off. When it does you’ll know where it came from...

Could well have dropped out of a pocket, yes. 

As it's silly Tuesday and everyone on here is bored out of their minds, I feel free to be pedantic.

The fixing shown is a bolt - not a screw. (the latter is threaded all the way along it's length).

Sensibly - could it be out of the gearbox??

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Consider yourself lucky... I found two engine mounting bolts in my engine bay a while back.  Clearly the engineer who remounted the engine didn't bother to do them up properly because they've been fine ever since I tightened them up.  Cowboys.

That "Engineer" would have been a mechanic if you were lucky, but you clearly weren't lucky, so he was, as you say, probably a cowboy. There: situation clarified - no real Engineers were hurt in the making of this post. :)

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That "Engineer" would have been a mechanic if you were lucky, but you clearly weren't lucky, so he was, as you say, probably a cowboy. There: situation clarified - no real Engineers were hurt in the making of this post. :)

More like a fitter  fits and forget

1 hour ago, jacko264 said:

That’s a socket head screw and it looks like it’s been used as the threads are marked there’s oil on the shaft and maybe thread lock on the threads so I would have a good look for where it’s come from 

Graham

It was just hanging underneath where I took the oil filter off it had got caught by a cable, the oil was from the filter, thought it might be recognised, but I will carry on and hope as I can’t see anywhere above it could of come from, thanks for replies everyone.

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It does provoke the image of an 'engineer' sitting astride an engine a whoopin' and a hollerin', waving his stetson around.

I thought they were called gas safe engineers, but what’s in a name.

The screw/bolt was just below and to the left of where you can see the fitting for the oil filter that I had taken off, it was just nestling between that blackish type hose and the engine.

7FA7FDC2-8B9A-44BF-8D2C-48514DA8C111.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

A mechanic is, or was, a highly skilled person able to rebuild engines and rebuild all the various ancillary components, maybe the person concerned was a second rate fitter.

................Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

A mechanic is, or was, a highly skilled person able to rebuild engines and rebuild all the various ancillary components, maybe the person concerned was a second rate fitter.

................Dave

Exactly why I said:

"would have been a mechanic if you were lucky, but you clearly weren't lucky"

:)

15 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Can you take a photo of above the photo you have taken all ready please 

I tried but it says I can only upload 2.93mb 

?

I have had another look and see where it could come from, but it’s not from gear box or alternator, too far away and no empty holes I can see, so I will just go ahead , and hope it’s what the mechanic dropped