Prop damage

Farey

Featured Posts

I discovered some damage to my prop (it's an Axiom, fitted in 2011, but I'm not looking to start another discussion on Axiom props). A small chunk, about 1 x 3 cm, is missing from one blade. I haven't noticed any significant  vibration, but am concerned that it may unbalance the prop and put extra strain on the prop shaft and bearing. Any views?

Selective rectangular monoblade  cavitation corrosion. If yours is a 4 cylinder engine, one cylinder is running faster than the others.  

Ita a 4 bladed prop on a 4 cylinder engine?

That's why proper props are 3 bladed.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

If you only think so, that's a good indication that it wasn't humour!

Not really.

As the things people find funny often differ, sometimes quite widely.

This place is littered with examples.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Selective rectangular monoblade  cavitation corrosion. If yours is a 4 cylinder engine, one cylinder is running faster than the others.  

Ita a 4 bladed prop on a 4 cylinder engine?

That's why proper props are 3 bladed.

One cylinder can run faster if one big end journal has been reground in isolation,giving a slightly different throw and therefore a different piston speed.

As for the selective rectangular monoblade cavitation corrosion,that will only occur if you have a goniometer fitted to your solar panel.

By the way,what brand of beer do you drink?

5 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

One cylinder can run faster if one big end journal has been reground in isolation,giving a slightly different throw and therefore a different piston speed.

I don't think it would work like that would it.

If you grind the journal in isolation (not good practice I would think) you compensate with over size bearings. This would set the throw back to what it was originally, surely?

3 hours ago, Farey said:

I discovered some damage to my prop (it's an Axiom, fitted in 2011, but I'm not looking to start another discussion on Axiom props). A small chunk, about 1 x 3 cm, is missing from one blade. I haven't noticed any significant  vibration, but am concerned that it may unbalance the prop and put extra strain on the prop shaft and bearing. Any views?

I think that if you can't detect any more vibration of weird noises then as long as the shaft has a plain metal bearing and greaser (not a rubber Cutless bearing or fibre/paxalon bearing) you have little to worry about. I am not sure if you could find a prop re furbisher to take it on though.

Thanks for the various answers. To clarify, it is a Volvo Penta cutless bearing, and the prop has 3 blades, and although I don't post very often, I've been a member since 2005.

Edited by Farey
Add info