Manual

HelenMac

Featured Posts

Not quite sure what sort of manual you are expecting.

The one for my boat has a full-ish specification of the boat as built, which I've tried to keep up to date as things have been changed, and a schematic of the electrical system. Everything else is a manual or instructions supplied by the equipment manufacturer.

Thank you

"The one for my boat has a full-ish specification of the boat as built, which I've tried to keep up to date as things have been changed, and a schematic of the electrical system"

I think this is what I need but S. W Durham Steelcraft seem to have been liquidated

28 minutes ago, helenharris54@gmail.com said:

Thank you

"The one for my boat has a full-ish specification of the boat as built, which I've tried to keep up to date as things have been changed, and a schematic of the electrical system"

I think this is what I need but S. W Durham Steelcraft seem to have been liquidated

S w Durham Steel craft were well built boats but are long gone. 

54 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

S w Durham Steel craft were well built boats but are long gone. 

Around 2005 I think. They surfaced under another name - Skyme? - but not for long. I don't know what went wrong; they had the contract to build CanalTime's boats (so they needed to be well built), perhaps they lost that job.

We had experience of one as a sponsored hire boat, horrible thing, fitout was like a cheap caravan with paper thin hollow bulkheads and appallingly bad woodwork. Tiny Isuzu engine and prop.

Most boats never had a manual. it aint a Volvo, all built as individuals.

Later boats will have a ledger with all the equipment listed, wiring and plumbing diagrams etc.  If yours is an ex Canalslime boat than I would suggest asking another owner for a gander at theirs, they were all built the same spec.

How old is this boat? I assume it is now at an age where any original manual will be of very limited value, since things will have changed over the years, equipment will have been replaced etc. and the original manual won't have been updated. Since most narrow boats are built as one-offs, a manual for a similar boat from the same builder won't necessarily be much use either, particularly if this was sold as a sailaway and fitted out by someone else.