Sailing the Soar (Hopefully)

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Naughty-Cal is all stocked up, filled up and packed up and ready to head onto the Trent and Soar for a couple of weeks. Assuming of course Boris doesn't announce anything tonight that scuppers that plan!

We have a loose plan to head maybe as far as Mountsorrel but a lot will of course depend on the weather and any Covid restrictions we come across along the way. Just to have some time away from home will be nice having lived and worked there now since March.

Tide times are not great for Saturday and getting up to Cromwell. It looks like we will be leaving Torksey late at about 4.30pm which won't leave us too much leeway to get to Cromwell before dark, hence the need to fix the navigation lights last weekend. A bit of a hand this week from the weather gods would be useful to stick a bit of fresh in the river for us and let us get out of Torksey a bit earlier.

• Greenie 1

Enjoy - I'm really missing our boat even after only 2 weeks - I'm envious that's a nice trip.

Don't worry about that prat in no 10 he hasn't got a clue what he's doing and I for one am far less interested in keeping to the law/regs now than I was - just use your own common sense as I know you have been and keep safe.

Until he fully closes the pubs I'm really not listening any more

J

Edited by Halsey
  • Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Enjoy - I'm really missing our boat even after only 2 weeks - I'm envious that's a nice trip.

Don't worry about that prat in no 10 he hasn't got a clue what he's doing and I for one am far less interested in keeping to the law/regs now than I was - just use your own common sense as I know you have been and keep safe.

Until he fully closes the pubs I'm really not listening any more

J

well that's really helpful .......................................  NOT !!    :banghead:

Rachel - enjoy !

I made my last cruise last week and caught the best of the weather.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

well that's really helpful .......................................  NOT !!    :banghead:

Rachel - enjoy !

Doesn't look like we are going to be so lucky with the weather. But we will make the most of what we are dealt.

On 22/09/2020 at 09:27, Murflynn said:

Rachel - enjoy !

Rapidly approaching the best part of the cruising season.  First of november starts the best bit!!

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Rapidly approaching the best part of the cruising season.  First of november starts the best bit!!

We are hoping it is going to be a bit quieter this next couple of weeks now that the weather has cooled down and gone into autumn mode and the little darlings are back at school.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

he's had a close shave - poor wee mutt !

That's got nearly a weeks growth on it now! 

He always has a close shave when he goes to the groomers. Soon grows back again. By the time we come back in a couple of weeks his wavy fur will be back.

Started the day yesterday with a few coffee's and a run on the field at Saxilby for Sydney. 

20200926-085620.jpg

20200926-093058.jpg

And then onto Torksey for 11am.

20200926-113711.jpg

We had in theory just enough water over the outer cill so decided to go for it. In hindsight we should have waited for the afternoon tide. We were pushed back by the wind when the gates opened into the middle cill and then came to a stop on the outer cill and had to be flushed off!

No harm done though and we then had an uneventful but slow run up the tidal Trent as we pushed the tide.

20200926-123712.jpg

20200926-135211.jpg

We are now moored at Cromwell where we met up with some friends yesterday for a few drinks. 

Today's plan is a quieter day with a steady cruise into Newark.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Good pics

Are there many about cruising around you or are you having a fairly quiet time?

We passed one boat coming the other way on the tidal Trent yesterday but that was the only boat we saw moving.

There are a few boats at Cromwell. A narrowboat and cruiser on the pontoon and three cruisers and a fat narrowboat on the wall.

Fairly quiet I would say.

• Greenie 1