Brinklow Marina gone bust

jeepster

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If? it does come onto the market, it’ll be a good prospect for someone. I have fancied running a marina for years.

It is almost certainly "on the market" (or soon will be) as the insolvency practioner has a duty to achieve the best possible price, in order to repay as much as possible to the bank.  But they may only advertise it in trade / business press outlets.  You could always get in touch with them directly (address in the Co House link above).

40 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It is almost certainly "on the market" (or soon will be) as the insolvency practioner has a duty to achieve the best possible price, in order to repay as much as possible to the bank.  But they may only advertise it in trade / business press outlets.  You could always get in touch with them directly (address in the Co House link above).

Thank you.

On 30/09/2020 at 09:57, Nightwatch said:

Anyone know if it has an existing facilities block etc.?

While we moored there (4 years up until june last year) facilities were...

Elsan

rubbish disposal

pumpout (token operated)

diesel

water

electric

gas bottles

when we first went there (and for the first two years) the marina was basic but pleasant and seemed cared for, pontoons were cleaned regularly, holes in the stone road were refilled etc. Eric (the harbourmaster) could be contacted easily and he had contact details for the owners of all boats in the marina.

by the third year it was clear that the marina owner was having little to no involvement, Eric was quite open about there being post / cheques / cash sat in the office for over a year before the owner collected them, Eric was also aware of several boats that hadn't paid mooring fees for over a year but the owner didn't care, our own cheque for mooring was written in february but wasn't cashed until the end of december. also it was noticeable that maintenance & repairs were not being done (like a pontoon snapped by a boat not repaired).

for the 4th year it was late spring before we got to the boat and it was noticeable that a lot of boats were away (not unusual) but there were not the number of parked cars expected for the number of missing boats. Asking neighbouring boats we found out there had been a falling out between Eric & the owner resulting in Eric & a fair number of other boats leaving, with Eric gone nobody knew who now held the marina mobile (not that it mattered because it was never answered), gas bottles / pumpout tokens / diesel etc impossible to get.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

I've just got back to our mooring at Cropredy

I saw 'Ebony' pass us when we were over in Cropredy last weekend. I wish I'd known it was a CWDFer's boat as it would have been good to meet you.

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Up for sale for just £1m freehold

From Google maps it looks to have a capacity of something like 200 boats, which is more than I thought.  So at say £2,000pa per boat that is revenue of £400,000 so a 40% return less costs.  On that basis it is a snip at £1,000,000.

I talked to my own marina owner about this. I didn't realise that marinas have to pay a yearly charge to CART for every space....even if there is not a boat in it. He said that it would be impossible to police it if CART allowed exemption for unoccupied spaces....so if you couple that with the yearly fee for connection to the canal network, you have significant outgoings.

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

I talked to my own marina owner about this. I didn't realise that marinas have to pay a yearly charge to CART for every space....even if there is not a boat in it. He said that it would be impossible to police it if CART allowed exemption for unoccupied spaces....so if you couple that with the yearly fee for connection to the canal network, you have significant outgoings.

The only way of getting round it is to agree with CRT to start at a lower basis of connection fees to match the actual occupancy.

Removing access to an area of pontoons or every 2and pontoon would help achieve this. Then as moorings are taken up as the marina gets operated more professionally, slowly increase the available space and CRT payments until fully open again.

30 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Surely, if you manage the income against the outgoings correctly the figures will stack up. Supply the services that Moore’s and passing boats need, it’s a no brainier.

However, £100,000,000 to me sounds ambitious.

Wow, why the price hike in 24 hours !!

On 01/10/2020 at 11:30, Athy said:

I saw 'Ebony' pass us when we were over in Cropredy last weekend. I wish I'd known it was a CWDFer's boat as it would have been good to meet you.

I haven't been south of Cropredy lock for 2 years so it must have been "Ebony No.1" who are also moored in the marina.

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

IT'S £200 per berth  and called Network Access Charge [previous manager at Cropredy told me]

37 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Surely, if you manage the income against the outgoings correctly the figures will stack up. Supply the services that Moore’s and passing boats need, it’s a no brainier.

Good point.  It makes you wonder why there are any business failures.

We moored our NB at Brinklow up to 6-7 years ago for 3 or 4 years.  

We enjoyed the time there.  Not the biggest and not the smallest Marina and without some of the facilities other Marinas have such as Shower or laundry blocks.  It just had fuel/gas, Pumpout, Elsan and rubbish disposal plus leccy and water at the mooring.  So perhaps not ideal for liveaboards in the marina although there were some there when we were.

Just using it as a place to keep the boat it was fine and we were happy enough with the place and it was one of the cheaper Marinas probably because of the lack of facility blocks.

I am sad to hear it has gone bust.

Edited by churchward

5 hours ago, Richard T said:

Its advertised in the latest copy of Waterways World by  Avison Young www.avisonyoung.co.uk/15780 but I can't find it on their website - maybe already sold.

I was looking at Avison Young earlier, it's not there at the mo??

• 1 month later...