Solar panels

Layla

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have a 50ft semi stern narrow boat. I’m hopping to add a kitchen and shower into the boat with water pumps, fridge, gas hob and oven. Washing machine, fridge, lights and sockets. 
I need to fit in a solar panel, I have a 1800wats, the inverter can handle 1200wats, I have engined powered batteries. 
Could you kindly recommend a solar panel I should use, and the amount of wats I should use? What else will I need to set up the solar panel? 
does anyone have a boat plumber and electrician that they recommend?

im on a tight budget, so the most efficient price would be greatly appreciated. 

many thanks,

layla xx 

Amazing. After translating the OP's message it sounds like there is nothing in this  boat yet, no wonder it is stern.? 

You have 1800 watt what?  The engine charges you batteries.  What number and size are your batteries and the alternator/s?

Hopping is a novel way of kitchen fitting. :clapping:  Wat is a Buddhist  temple !

You need a solar controller.

Being on a tight budget in London is a serious problem when you are looking for tradesmen.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Being on a tight budget in London is a serious problem when you are looking for tradesmen.

And not understanding what you have  and what you need will make it more likely that a rip off will occur.

Suggestions:-

Clarify what you already have on the boat.

Undertake an energy audit to find what you need.

Join the "12 volt boating group" on Facebook. Read the posts and gain knowledge, most of this issue have been covered many time on there.

Discuss needs with a supplier. I have heard Bimble is good, but have not used them (yet)

Sorry, what I meant to say was:

1800w generator 

I’m not sure what the power of the batteries are, I’ll check tomorrow.

*hoping ( I’m dyslexic and have learn difficulties) thanks for the support girl ??

I will make sure to grab a hold controller 

I was about to say something similar - I don't understand properly either.

15 minutes ago, Layla said:

Hi,

I have a 50ft semi stern narrow boat. I’m hopping to add a kitchen and shower into the boat with water pumps, fridge, gas hob and oven. Washing machine, fridge, lights and sockets. 
I need to fit in a solar panel, I have a 1800wats, the inverter can handle 1200wats, I have engined powered batteries. 
Could you kindly recommend a solar panel I should use, and the amount of wats I should use? What else will I need to set up the solar panel? 
does anyone have a boat plumber and electrician that they recommend?

im on a tight budget, so the most efficient price would be greatly appreciated. 

many thanks,

layla xx 

However for the OP.

The size of battery bank is defines by the amount of electricity you will use between charging periods. The amount and the way you charge will be defined by the amount of electricity you have used since the last charging period.

So how much electricity will you use between charging? This involves a power audit. Only you can calculate the amount of WATTS or Amps you will use but you really need watt hours or amp hours to work out battery bank size and the charging required.

What I will say is that the way you have phrased the questions and you apparent grasp of the basis makes me fear you will be into battery problems within the next few months when solar will contribute almost nothing to battery charging.

I suggest you study the electrical notes on my website tb-training.co.uk and then carefully consider your electrical needs and charging

If this is a narrowboat

2 minutes ago, Layla said:

Sorry, what I meant to say was:

1800w generator 

I’m not sure what the power of the batteries are, I’ll check tomorrow.

*hoping ( I’m dyslexic and have learn difficulties) thanks for the support girl ??

I will make sure to grab a hold controller 

Ah, the generator makes all the difference as long as you can observe the no engine running 8pm to 8am regulation (or its an built in cocooned one).  Really the answer is as much solar as you can afford but do not expect too much of it until next spring.

59 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ah, the generator makes all the difference as long as you can observe the no engine running 8pm to 8am regulation (or its an built in cocooned one).  Really the answer is as much solar as you can afford but do not expect too much of it until next spring.

mines still going strong.

5 minutes ago, Rickent said:

mines still going strong.

If you mean your solar then seeing we have had a spell of less than usual weather for this time of year I would be surprised if it was not but give it a month and see what happens. Once we look at powering a washing machine, unless the machine/plumbing has been modified for no heater operation, things begin to look more problematical unless she only runs it from the generator - if 1800 watts is enough - or a shoreline.