Insurance

Winnie88

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm currently trying to insure by narrowboat. Can anyone advise me of a good company to go with?

This is my first narrowboat and I have a little experience but not much on the waterways, she's a 38 foot boat, so nothing too hefty.

When looking for a quote I was asked for the engine's horsepower. Does anyone know how many horsepower a vetus m414 engine has? 

Many thanks in advance ?

Just now, Winnie88 said:

Hi

I'm currently trying to insure by narrowboat. Can anyone advise me of a good company to go with?

This is my first narrowboat and I have a little experience but not much on the waterways, she's a 38 foot boat, so nothing too hefty.

When looking for a quote I was asked for the engine's horsepower. Does anyone know how many horsepower a vetus m414 engine has? 

Many thanks in advance ?

Presumably, with those questions you are trying to use a 'proper boat' (marine) insurance company.

There are companies set up that deal with the Inland waterways and they pretty much only ask - "How old is it"

Try :

https://www.craftinsure.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAdsqApLRJKJuUFuaYP-qoRnaLcPxcn0ApTPsW5L4zHWh06JbqrHAtFoaAqldEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAdsqApLRJKJuUFuaYP-qoRnaLcPxcn0ApTPsW5L4zHWh06JbqrHAtFoaAqldEALw_wcB

Click on narrowboats and you'll be sorted in 30 seconds.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably, with those questions you are trying to use a 'proper boat' (marine) insurance company.

There are companies set up that deal with the Inland waterways and they pretty much only ask - "How old is it"

Try :

https://www.craftinsure.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAdsqApLRJKJuUFuaYP-qoRnaLcPxcn0ApTPsW5L4zHWh06JbqrHAtFoaAqldEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAdsqApLRJKJuUFuaYP-qoRnaLcPxcn0ApTPsW5L4zHWh06JbqrHAtFoaAqldEALw_wcB

Click on narrowboats and you'll be sorted in 30 seconds.

Thank you I'll take a look ?

On 21/09/2020 at 13:17, Winnie88 said:

Another vote here for Craftinsure (dig down deep enough and it's Zurich Insurance). We've been with them for years and it's been around £125 a year since the year dot (well, 2006 anyway).

(This is for a <50ft boat with a 43hp Beta).

I'm a loyal Craftinsure customer, very happy with them. Their web system is silky smooth. Rod from customer service just renewed my policy this month and has always been on hand by email to answer my many questions. It has been 10 GBP/mo for the past 2 years but being that my boat was built in 1999 the price just went up to 15 GBP/ mo as I entered a new age category - seemed a bit of a steep increase but makes sense I guess. He offered me 13 GBP/mo if I went to a 200GBP excess (I'm on 100 GBP excess).

This is for a 65' narrowboat, btw. 

I haven't ever tried to make a claim, mind. I find insurance companies are in general wonderful at taking your money but less so when it comes to giving any back. So I reserve complete judgement until then!

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

It has been 10 GBP/mo for the past 2 years but being that my boat was built in 1999 the price just went up to 15 GBP/ mo

On 21/09/2020 at 13:26, Alan de Enfield said:

It'll be between about £120 and £150 - it always is, seemingly irrespective of age and value.

I rest my case.

Every NB I've insured with them has been between £120 & £150 seemingly irrespective of age, length or value.

My Cruiser is with them and the cost is £250, but I have 2x 6-clinder engines and a much enlarged cruising area, and subsequently a much large area of insurance which includes much of the European canal system.

Cruising Range Map.png

• Greenie 1