My Nokia 2610 mobile phone.

bizzard

Featured Posts

I have great trouble seeing what's on the screen in the daylight, in fact nothing, fine at night or indoors. It's a lovely phone, £12-50p from Tesco's about 15 years ago. A couple of years ago I attended a birthday party of relations in Leigh-On-Sea, I knew exactly where I was going but missed the turnings name, I think I was overtaking a bus at the time. This turning was off the main A13 that runs through to Southend. I had driven past Westcliff and realized I had gone way too far past the turning. I was now late for the party so I turnined around and stopped in Westcliff high st to phone my cousin for directions. Blow I couldn't see anything on the Nokia's screen, I had to make it dark, so I climbed into the boot and lowered the lid to make it nice and dark. I made the phone call to my cousin who walked down to the main road to watch out for me and guide me to the party which she did.

Because of the embarrasment of climbing in and out of the boot in Westcliff high street on a busy Saturday afternoon I now carry a black plastic bin bag which I pull over me and my phone to make phone calls cosily inside it. People walking by still stand and watch this performance though which forces me to find a quiet side turning. People are a nuisance.  I could get a van to make a phone call in the back I suppose biut that's too drastic, or get under the car with the phone pretending it's broken down.  The screen saver is not on. I don't want a Smartphone, I've fallen in love with my beatiful small Nokia 2610.  Anyone think of any improvment on the black bin bag please or a way to enhance the screen so I can read it in daylight. Thank yoo.  :)

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I have great trouble seeing what's on the screen in the daylight, in fact nothing, fine at night or indoors. It's a lovely phone, £12-50p from Tesco's about 15 years ago. A couple of years ago I attended a birthday party of relations in Leigh-On-Sea, I knew exactly where I was going but missed the turnings name, I think I was overtaking a bus at the time. This turning was off the main A13 that runs through to Southend. I had driven past Westcliff and realized I had gone way too far past the turning. I was now late for the party so I turnined around and stopped in Westcliff high st to phone my cousin for directions. Blow I couldn't see anything on the Nokia's screen, I had to make it dark, so I climbed into the boot and lowered the lid to make it nice and dark. I made the phone call to my cousin who walked down to the main road to watch out for me and guide me to the party which she did.

Because of the embarrasment of climbing in and out of the boot in Westcliff high street on a busy Saturday afternoon I now carry a black plastic bin bag which I pull over me and my phone to make phone calls cosily inside it. People walking by still stand and watch this performance though which forces me to find a quiet side turning. People are a nuisance.  I could get a van to make a phone call in the back I suppose biut that's too drastic, or get under the car with the phone pretending it's broken down.  The screen saver is not on. I don't want a Smartphone, I've fallen in love with my beatiful small Nokia 2610.  Anyone think of any improvment on the black bin bag please or a way to enhance the screen so I can read it in daylight. Thank yoo.  :)

There are a few (used) on eBay.

Just buy a replacement.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There are a few (used) on eBay.

Just buy a replacement.

I misread it like that to start with.  The backlight works fine, it's the screen contrast he's struggling with in bright daylight.

It's probably those red/green sunglasses he's wearing ...

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I misread it like that to start with.  The backlight works fine, it's the screen contrast he's struggling with in bright daylight.

It's probably those red/green sunglasses he's wearing ...

Ah. I thought he meant it was faulty.

Perhaps a Smartphone would actually be the answer? Used in 'Dark theme' mode the contrast is perfect.

The screen is clearly suffering - as some on here - from old age. The screens lose their intensity with increasing use (not just age)

I have an aged sony  K660 (similar to your Nokia) that hasn't been used much, but has a vertical bar fault on the screen  -Usable and quite readable in strong sunlight ). You're welcome to it.

PM me.

Yours is dirty as well....

Edited by OldGoat

apparently it's beacuse it uses a cheaper CSTN screen with 65K colours, good for battery, bad for readability.

It also cuts power to the screen after about 15-20secs to save battery, this cannot be changed. Press one of the scroll keys to wake it back up.

if you can remove the scratch resistant plastic sticker from the glass its said to improve it by around 15%

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The screen is clearly suffering - as some on here - from old age. The screens lose their intensity with increasing use (not just age)

I have an aged sony  K660 (similar to your Nokia) that hasn't been used much, but has a vertical bar fault on the screen  -Usable and quite readable in strong sunlight ). You're welcome to it.

PM me.

Yours is dirty as well....

Thank you for the kind offer OldGoat but guess what.  I've just cleaned the screen with a proper lens cleaning pad and I can now read the screen quite well now outside in daylight.  Just think all those years of climbing into my boot or inside a bin bag to use it and all it needed was cleaning.  Thank you.    Over and out.

• Greenie 1

Aldi lens cleaning wipes 99p for fifty. I did my reading specs with one too, I can now see the whole phone as well as the screen.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Let us have an "after" photo outdoors then :)

Later, I've put it all away now.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

:clapping:

I didnt mean to quote you but now your hear I have to

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Aldi lens cleaning wipes 99p for fifty. I did my reading specs with one too, I can now see the whole phone as well as the screen.

Later, I've put it all away now.

I use them on my glasses, I read the instructions the other day, it says something like dont use on LCD screens

Ive got a couple of those phones plus batteries and chargers.

The downside is they are australian models, so to work here you have to stand on your head ( or hold them upside down) and shout strewth when you finally get a connection.

Neither of those minor irritations will bother a man of your sensitivity I am sure.

There are two other slight issues to overcome firstly they have australia ‘kill the poor’  mains plugs. Made out of tin foil and chocolate, and secondly they have a strange answerphone system that grossly offends anyone trying to leave a missive.

Not sure why this is.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

The downside is they are australian models, so to work here you have to stand on your head ( or hold them upside down) and shout strewth when you finally get a connection.

And change your name by deed poll to Bruce?

• Haha 1

Hello Bruce, what do you do then?

I’m a taxidermist. 

A taxi-what-ist?

A taxidermist. 

What the heck is one of those then Bruce?

I... er, I stuff animals. 

Oh it’s okay lads, he’s one of us!