Wind power

Tony Boat

Featured Posts

It depends a lot on where you moor. Wind turbines are not much use on most canals because they are sheltered by trees, hedges etc and anyway the wind near ground level is usually light or gusty and variable. Plus they can create a noise and vibration nuisance.

If you are moored in a wide open windswept place then maybe. But otherwise I think the money is better spent on more solar.

4 minutes ago, Tony Boat said:

I'm looking at buying a wind turbine to power my 12v fridge, I have one solar panel which is adequate for my batteries. And used to run a gas fridge, now I'm going 12v fridge don't think my solar panel will provide enough power through the winter months.

Wind is not very reliable. Although I'm going to try something similar, in combination with solar, One other disadvantage is the transmission of noise through the hull, so a good sound-absorbing fixture is necessary in the planning. I've yet to find out what is possible.

I've had a look into it, I'm sure they'll be more experienced folk will be along shortly, but shelved the thought as the energy return from the financial outlay was at best a big gamble (on getting the correct winds). If I remember right to really harvest the wind you need big blades (I think it's around everytime you double the blades you'd get 4x the amount of energy), something that would just not be functional on most boats.

I think the answer your going to get, over and over, is the money is better spent on solar!

6 minutes ago, manicpb said:

I've had a look into it, I'm sure they'll be more experienced folk will be along shortly, but shelved the thought as the energy return from the financial outlay was at best a big gamble (on getting the correct winds). If I remember right to really harvest the wind you need big blades (I think it's around everytime you double the blades you'd get 4x the amount of energy), something that would just not be functional on most boats.

I think the answer your going to get, over and over, is the money is better spent on solar!

With me, the money is already spent. 3x100 watt solar panels and a wind generator. It's the elbow grease that I've been short on. 

Edited by Higgs

6 minutes ago, Higgs said:

With me, the money is already spent. 3x100 watt solar panel and a wind generator. It's the elbow grease that I've been short on. 

I'm sure the right salesman could convince me into giving wind power a try...but for now I've easier and cheaper options still to exhaust!