Trouble on River Avon

Hypnorm

Featured Posts

......the only thing that chap did wrong shooting the burgler in his house was calling the police.

Salty stands back and waits for incoming.

Not from me ......... that burgler's 'mates' live not too far away (I'll tactfully refrain from using the word). Good friends also live not too far away. They have dogs.

Two years ago at Christmas, some family were visiting them, 2 of the dogs were locked in the outhouse, as they were excitable around children. This was around 6.00pm. At around 9.00pm my friend, then a fit 77 years old, and still working on the land, went to fetch the dogs. The outhouse had been broken into and the dogs stolen.

A couple of weeks or so later one of the dogs was recovered, after being thrown from a moving land rover. The other is still missing. My friend aged almost overnight, and it has completely ruined what is left of his life. Only the other week, he was trotting a dog around the showring, and still with a grin on his face, but it is now a struggle. His wife has been on tv and at Earls Court with their dogs. The show winning Greyhound that is still missing has no doubt been used for illegal coursing, and most likely left behind if injured, or they have to run away from landowners or police, or dumped to die when no more good.

There is not a bad enough word in this, or any other language to describe these people.

I agree with you Malc. There are some really nice kids who might look rough, having a bit of fun, but actually turn out OK, most of whom I've had the fortune to meet rather than the scum you are talking about.

There isn't a word to describe people like that.

Insurance isnt going to bring back all the hours of hard graft/time and money you have put into something that your proud to call all your own work, and it bumps up your premiums for next time so you still end up paying for the scrotes slaggish behaviour.

Exactly, my husband and my dad spent all winter not last but the winter before stripping the hull, taking away about 25 coats of paint that the hire company had used. sanding her down, using nitromores and dilunet gel to get the paint off! then gel coating and painting the hull in two pack paint, in around 3 degrees C. Taking off varnishing the wooden rubbing streaks, putting brand new rubber rubbing streaks around the boat, a grand of new canopy. and not to mention the hours polishing etc.

She went from this:

When we put her up for sale last year.

CameraDownloadvan001.jpg

to this after being sunk for over a week.

IMG_1238.jpg

I'd be very surprised if you made a profit out of an insurance claim,

Our premium will now rise, and probably so will every one elses.

Depends how 'honest' you are ........ usually the more lies you tell the more you make.

And yes, this will affect ALL OF US as the premiums will increase to cover the losses. Are the people who defend these scum going to send us a cheque for the extra ......... now where's my binoculars to look for the flying pigs.

Not from me ......... that burgler's 'mates' live not too far away (I'll tactfully refrain from using the word). Good friends also live not too far away. They have dogs.

Two years ago at Christmas, some family were visiting them, 2 of the dogs were locked in the outhouse, as they were excitable around children. This was around 6.00pm. At around 9.00pm my friend, then a fit 77 years old, and still working on the land, went to fetch the dogs. The outhouse had been broken into and the dogs stolen.

A couple of weeks or so later one of the dogs was recovered, after being thrown from a moving land rover. The other is still missing. My friend aged almost overnight, and it has completely ruined what is left of his life. Only the other week, he was trotting a dog around the showring, and still with a grin on his face, but it is now a struggle. His wife has been on tv and at Earls Court with their dogs. The show winning Greyhound that is still missing has no doubt been used for illegal coursing, and most likely left behind if injured, or they have to run away from landowners or police, or dumped to die when no more good.

There is not a bad enough word in this, or any other language to describe these people.

The people (hopefully) buying me old tub are Dog trainers. Tamara (the daughter) gave me a flyer last month about a small breeder in kent that had had a number of lurchers stolen. Asked me if i would circulate the dogs descriptions at work. Couple of days later turns out 1 of the dogs was recovered minus an ear dumped by the wayside. no trace yet of the others. If an injured animal is held in such little reguard by these people, then what chance does a human injured or not have?

Malc....your friends have my respects for carrying on

Exactly, my husband and my dad spent all winter not last but the winter before stripping the hull, taking away about 25 coats of paint that the hire company had used. sanding her down, using nitromores and dilunet gel to get the paint off! then gel coating and painting the hull in two pack paint, in around 3 degrees C. Taking off varnishing the wooden rubbing streaks, putting brand new rubber rubbing streaks around the boat, a grand of new canopy. and not to mention the hours polishing etc.

She went from this:

When we put her up for sale last year.

CameraDownloadvan001.jpg

to this after being sunk for over a week.

IMG_1238.jpg

Im sorry folks if i appear a bit intolerant this morning but 5 days at my work makes it so.

I fully understand the ....dont get involved or you might end up in trouble....thinking..but there has to come a time when enough is enough. There comes a time when you have to stand up and be counted. Some one said on a thread way back in 2005 i think it was that she hoped things will eventually turn full circle....well i think they are...i think we are just about getting to the dark ages when there was no law cept common law. There is no deterant at the moment and if we're all honest, the only thing which prevents most of us committing crime is the fear of what would happen (coupled i hope with a feeling of humanity and respect for our fellow beings)

Take away the fear of retribution and what do you get?

Yes there's a minority of kids (scum, as someone aptly described them) who don't give a toss about anyone else, and aren't scared of anyone or anything...

They aren't born like that; there must be something wrong with the parents and schools.

Not even channel 4's 'Supernanny' can make parents change so we should be sorting out the schools, which I think are way too focussed on academic achievement and league tables, and not enough on respect and values etc.

Other wise how are these kids' children going to turn out? Need to break the cycle!

What's all this winging for? Looking at the pics, it needs a good pressure wash and drying out. So it was sunk but if you leave your car out for weeks it will get scatched. If you can't take self inflicted problems, then don't buy a boat.

How can this be self inflicted!!

Yobs who have no respect for anyones property sank the boat because we asked them to leave our property.?? I would say i hope some thing like this happens to you but personally i wouldnt wish this on anyone.

Yes externally the boat is fine give it a wash and she looks great. But internally (we have no pictures yet) will need completely re-fitting considering there was also a full tank of diesel floating around internally.

She needs new Engine, new fixtures fittings, all internal wood replacing so that 90% of the internals of the boat.

We can no longer sell her in this condition.

That's a bit harsh Yoda. What if that was your home or pride and joy?

We don't all want to be an insurance statistic, why should we?

I've worked long and hard on my own boat, and the thought of some little toe rag damaging it fills me with rage. The only problem with that is the person most likely to end up coping the trouble is me if I chased the little sods off or threatened.

They know they are immune. What's the worst that can happen to them? A slap on the wrist and an ASBO? They are going to have to pay out of their giro/pocket money for the damage are they. I know we all pay insurance for a reason, but most of us never actually want to have to use it.

I'm sure there are a good deal of those right now who are still not sorted after the flood damage who wished that they were not claiming yet again. Yes, they could move, yes, we don't have to own a boat, but if it's your pride and joy that's just been sunk, I don't think yoy would be so blase about it.

I was quite blase in my first reply on this thread and then thought 'actually, if that was me, I'd be livid'.

Than you Stonehenge - I was starting to think that i was the only one who get upset about losing something you have worked hard on.

Ok a bit sentimental but i value and look after the things i have worked hard for.

Ok we still have our other boat, but we were hoping that she would go to a loving family like our first boat and preferably not a salvage yard.

Ill defend my home,family and self to the hilt and worry about legal repercussions later......the only thing that chap did wrong shooting the burgler in his house was calling the police.

Salty stands back and waits for incoming.....but he has his 10" armour plated ex admiral jellicoe petticoat donned ready to deflect

I think you will find using an unlicensed gun, shooting the burgler when he was running away, leaving the scene and hiding the shotgun had something to do with his sentence. Defending yourself or your family is one thing killing people for no reason is different.

I have two teenagers, some of their friends are at first glance downright scary but in reality they are just kids. Treat them reasonably and they are normally fine. Yes there are scum but they are the minority. The old adage "Don't judge a book by the cover" comes to mind

Ken

Than you Stonehenge - I was starting to think that i was the only one who get upset about losing something you have worked hard on.

Ok a bit sentimental but i value and look after the things i have worked hard for.

Ok we still have our other boat, but we were hoping that she would go to a loving family like our first boat and preferably not a salvage yard.

Selling a boat is quite emotional when you've worked hard on it, but seeing someone view it and appreciate it, makes it all worth while. Whether you were going to sell it, or get married to it, the point is, those kids should not have been anywhere near it.

It's a sad fact that there are a lot of them about, but unless this country gets tough and starts punishing the parents as well (who simply have to take some blame in their upbringing here as well as how they are educated at school), then this sort of thing will get reported from time to time.

I have two teenagers, some of their friends are at first glance downright scary but in reality they are just kids. Treat them reasonably and they are normally fine. Yes there are scum but they are the minority. The old adage "Don't judge a book by the cover" comes to mind

Ken

As someone who has never conformed to the norm, I totally agree with you. Thankfully the scum are in the moinority, let's just hope it stays that way.

What's all this winging for? Looking at the pics, it needs a good pressure wash and drying out. So it was sunk but if you leave your car out for weeks it will get scatched. If you can't take self inflicted problems, then don't buy a boat.

look out, there's a troll about.

....and its wingeing. if you can't spell it, try using complaining, or even whineing.

Edited by kawaton

On the other hand my dad has been mooring there for over 30 years.

And it is only recently since they reopened the public foot path that we have started having trouble.

After the recent flooding, there were a couple of sunken boats that hand come down on the moorings and also afew caravans that stay there in the summer.

One the water had receded people came looting, breaking in to the caravans and taking any thinkg that was of any use, or they were taking anything that was floating in the field.

Salty stands back and waits for incoming.....but he has his 10" armour plated ex admiral jellicoe petticoat donned ready to deflect

Don't be rediculus (spelling!!!), can't pat you on the back through all that

Don't even know what my boat is. All I know is it's older than me. Early 1960's. I've stripped It back to a fiberglass shell and remade all panels as most fell apart coming out. Mine also was a hire boat (on the Thames I think) in the sixties and was a multitude of colours (red, green, blue cream and white) and a lot of hours were needed to get it stripped and repainted. I have done all the work by myself but felt like giving up many times.

This is not the same as walking into a marina, looking around and deciding.... We'll take that one. I know every (and I mean EVERY) square inch if this boat both inside and out. It might sound crap but an old cliché goes "there's a part of me gone in to it". I could not afford anything better and went this route, didn't know if I could do it, gave it my best, learnt alot and am damn glad now I did as it's just about ready to get wet. (Sat week I hope).

Can anyone name an insurance company that will quote me to replace this

Regards

Mick

...... and then thought 'actually, if that was me, I'd be livid'.

You are the first time this happens.....and the second and third. By the 10 or perhaps more you'll find you change your attitude to one more stacked towards damage limitation .......

and I speak from experience here. I have a whole draw full of the flaming T shirts.... <_<

Well it looks as if the spelling has been sorted.

Pride come before a fall and if you park your pride and joy further than arms length away then it must be in the back of your mind all of the time as to what is happening to it. If you think that I might be hard on these 'poor' people then you really haven't got a cottage in Wales. Being absent from your property and then crying that someone has damaged it really doesn't carry with me.

When deciding that the whole boat is ruined because its been underwater makes me think that the owners can't be bothered. Sure it will need a complete clean and some new bits but a complete interior and new engine? I think not.

My own opinion of course and I am sympathetic to genuine cases of total loss but not to people who cannot for what ever reason keep a watch over their own property.

I also object to the terms used on this thread for the youth of today. Most of the people on here have been scallywags in their time and to generally condem local children with no proof that it was their actions that caused the sinking of this boat is wrong.

I also object to the terms used on this thread for the youth of today. Most of the people on here have been scallywags in their time and to generally condem local children with no proof that it was their actions that caused the sinking of this boat is wrong.

No, that's fair enough. It may not have been them, but then a bit of a coincidence as well.

I had my fun as a kid, but I would have never have damaged other people's property, not ever. My parents brought me up with more respect than that. Getting drunk, having some fun, even moving the road cone. But never willfilly damaged anything that belonged to someone else.

I think a lot of us on here have said we like to give kids (whatever guise they come in) the benefit of the doubt first. I always have and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm not saying never, just hasn't yet.

As the hairy ones says, you get upset the first few times, then after that you just learn to speed type the insurance claims out. I hope I never get to that point!

Well it looks as if the spelling has been sorted.

Pride come before a fall and if you park your pride and joy further than arms length away then it must be in the back of your mind all of the time as to what is happening to it. If you think that I might be hard on these 'poor' people then you really haven't got a cottage in Wales. Being absent from your property and then crying that someone has damaged it really doesn't carry with me.

When deciding that the whole boat is ruined because its been underwater makes me think that the owners can't be bothered. Sure it will need a complete clean and some new bits but a complete interior and new engine? I think not.

My own opinion of course and I am sympathetic to genuine cases of total loss but not to people who cannot for what ever reason keep a watch over their own property.

So do you take every little thing that you own around with you? Do you never leave your house? Do have permanent CCTV on your life?

Obviously this world is turning in to a place where you have to accept that someone will willfully damage your property?

I would reply more to your comment but i would be wasting my time and energy, as you obviously don't give a damn, and haven't read my previous posts about the situation.

We all know this, you're telling us nothing new........ So what's the answer, sterilise the breeding classes? <_<

No! As I said, invest in proper education (not chasing league tables) to give these kids what they aren't getting at home. A shame the government is so keen on copying Tory tax pledges, or it might just have been possible.

Back to the thread, is there nothing the marina could have done to prevent these kids trespassing, and returning to inflict damage - or was the boat not in a marina?

Hypnonorm

Don't let this place get you down. Don't take anything posted here as representative of the normal sane people that you meet in real life. When you come here, you are actually entering some strange parallel universe where up is down and down is up.

Rest assured that out in the real world, normal people would be as upset about their boat being sunk as you. Trying to have a sane conversation about it here will only wind you up.

If you are a fan of Lewis Caroll then this forum has its charm but in your current frame of mind, it probably isn't the best place to be.

<_<

Can anyone name an insurance company that will quote me to replace this

Regards

Mick

I can't and I have the same problem having restored cars that have been in the family for 50 years so I know exactly what you mean. You can normally only insure items such as boats, classic cars etc for 'Market Value', unlike say an engagement ring, that say, you pay £200 for, but which comes complete with a certified insurance valuation of 1k.... So the 22k restoration of my Baby Austin is worth 3.5k fron an insurers point of view.

There are ways around it. There are firms that will underwrite sentimental value on such as classic cars but the premium is usually prohibitive.