Trouble on River Avon

Hypnorm

Featured Posts

Rest assured that out in the real world, normal people would be as upset about their boat being sunk as you. Trying to have a sane conversation about it here will only wind you up.

If you have got to my aproaching 50 years and never had any property violated, maliciously damaged, stolen, vandalised, destroyed by arson or generally fcuked up you have done extremely well to come out unscathed. You are touched by angels and must have been really nice in your previous life.... <_<

What's all this winging for? Looking at the pics, it needs a good pressure wash and drying out. So it was sunk but if you leave your car out for weeks it will get scatched. If you can't take self inflicted problems, then don't buy a boat.

Yoda, those remarks are totally uncalled for and very insulting I would think. Unless you actually live on your boat you cannot be there full time and if on a so called safe mooring no one expects this vandalism to occur. I doubt the photo's tell the full story of the damage caused. If you can't help then IMHO keep remarks to yourself please.

If you have got to my aproaching 50 years and never had any property violated, maliciously damaged, stolen, vandalised, destroyed by arson or generally fcuked up you have done extremely well to come out unscathed. You are touched by angels and must have been really nice in your previous life.... <_<

I've been robbed, mugged at knife point, mugged again, and had a few unpleasant experiences that I can understand where you are coming from. I just hope my run of bad luck ran out, and someone dished me out a few good luck charms.

Just as hopefully hynorms luck will now change (you just need to smash a couple of mugs to get the 'come in threes' done with dear!

Edited by StoneHenge

I've been robbed, mugged at knife point, mugged again, and had a few unpleasant experiences

That must have been a really rough day. <_< Sorry.

I know what you mean though - been robbed myself. Some people do things like that - you can't over analyse whether you could have said something to them that might have made them not do it - you'll never know.

It's cr*p (yeah, there's another star! I like them so th*re! :o ) what happened to the boat and who's to say the gits wouldn't have done it anyway, irrelevant of whether the owner had come along?

As for many of "us" contributing to this thread, why not just have a bit of sympathy here? :o Some of these posts sound like they're tinted with "you shouldn't have said that to them, it wouldn't have happened to me because I'm nice to the youth of today". :o

Gawd forbid, and lets hope it doesn't, but your turn might come. Not everyone (youth or otherwise) will give a toss whether you're respectful if they intend to rob you/hurt you/sink your boat they will do exactly that. Perhaps if you've been polite they'll shake your hand afterwards? Assuming they haven't cut it off...

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Yoda, those remarks are totally uncalled for and very insulting I would think. Unless you actually live on your boat you cannot be there full time and if on a so called safe mooring no one expects this vandalism to occur. I doubt the photo's tell the full story of the damage caused. If you can't help then IMHO keep remarks to yourself please.

Thank you for your comment.

So do you take every little thing that you own around with you? Do you never leave your house? Do have permanent CCTV on your life?

Obviously this world is turning in to a place where you have to accept that someone will willfully damage your property?

I would reply more to your comment but i would be wasting my time and energy, as you obviously don't give a damn, and haven't read my previous posts about the situation.

I'm sorry that you think that I do not care. Your situation is of your own making and if I was there on the river bank I would have waded in and helped. I am a reponsible and caring person but I can do without self inflicted sob stories. You could have alarmed the boat, locked all of the hatches, moored it in a secure area and many more things. When it came out of the water, you could have written that its great to get it out and that you'll be working to get it back to top condition. No you didn't

and this is the very first time I have ever written a piece like this.

I have now been critised for my attitude with regard to this thread but this thread was started with a view to complaining about children sinking a boat after being treated badly by the owners.

There are many boat owners who are away from their craft but they have done more to look after them than appears on this tread. There have been worse situations such as the couple who had their boat burnt out when they left it for the day. They lost everthing including all posessions. We helped them. We will help everyone. It's just the attitude that got me.

I think you will find using an unlicensed gun, shooting the burgler when he was running away, leaving the scene and hiding the shotgun had something to do with his sentence. Defending yourself or your family is one thing killing people for no reason is different. I have two teenagers, some of their friends are at first glance downright scary but in reality they are just kids. Treat them reasonably and they are normally fine. Yes there are scum but they are the minority. The old adage "Don't judge a book by the cover" comes to mindKen
As i said...his only mistake was calling the fuzz. and, imho he didnt kill for no reason. he had come to the end of his tether...right or wrong he's the one that has to live with his actions. I have a daughter now aged 20....previous boyfreinds have not always been my ideal partner for her but getting to know them and they are ok. we all have different attitudes and values, but when it comes down to blatent crime...some of it vandelism/graffiti art/ high sprits....i call it crime and will take action. And if i go beyond what society deems to be reasonable then i will have to live with my actions.
Don't be rediculus (spelling!!!), can't pat you on the back through all thatDon't even know what my boat is. All I know is it's older than me. Early 1960's. I've stripped It back to a fiberglass shell and remade all panels as most fell apart coming out. Mine also was a hire boat (on the Thames I think) in the sixties and was a multitude of colours (red, green, blue cream and white) and a lot of hours were needed to get it stripped and repainted. I have done all the work by myself but felt like giving up many times. This is not the same as walking into a marina, looking around and deciding.... We'll take that one. I know every (and I mean EVERY) square inch if this boat both inside and out. It might sound crap but an old cliché goes "there's a part of me gone in to it". I could not afford anything better and went this route, didn't know if I could do it, gave it my best, learnt alot and am damn glad now I did as it's just about ready to get wet. (Sat week I hope).Can anyone name an insurance company that will quote me to replace thisRegardsMick
Agreed shiner, Your boat is part of you. there is so much of you put into it
No, that's fair enough. It may not have been them, but then a bit of a coincidence as well. I had my fun as a kid, but I would have never have damaged other people's property, not ever. My parents brought me up with more respect than that. Getting drunk, having some fun, even moving the road cone. But never willfilly damaged anything that belonged to someone else.I think a lot of us on here have said we like to give kids (whatever guise they come in) the benefit of the doubt first. I always have and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm not saying never, just hasn't yet. As the hairy ones says, you get upset the first few times, then after that you just learn to speed type the insurance claims out. I hope I never get to that point!
Much better avater Henge <_< more pleasing to the eye
Well it looks as if the spelling has been sorted.Pride come before a fall and if you park your pride and joy further than arms length away then it must be in the back of your mind all of the time as to what is happening to it. If you think that I might be hard on these 'poor' people then you really haven't got a cottage in Wales. Being absent from your property and then crying that someone has damaged it really doesn't carry with me. When deciding that the whole boat is ruined because its been underwater makes me think that the owners can't be bothered. Sure it will need a complete clean and some new bits but a complete interior and new engine? I think not. My own opinion of course and I am sympathetic to genuine cases of total loss but not to people who cannot for what ever reason keep a watch over their own property.I also object to the terms used on this thread for the youth of today. Most of the people on here have been scallywags in their time and to generally condem local children with no proof that it was their actions that caused the sinking of this boat is wrong.

But they did keep a watch on their property and found scrotes sitting on it fishing!!!! whats all that about?

Its not like coming back to your boat and being rafted up with people walking on the deck to access their boat, they had gone on board and treated it as their own. It is no different to you going to work and coming home to find someone in your garden having a BBQ.....hello old chap, just finishing off the burgers then its all yours...

As for terms used to describe our youth of today...I only call a scrote a scrote. They aint all the same by far. Young people are to me young people untill they prove themselves to be scrotes.

Edited by saltysplash

I think hypnorm's point here was (from what I gather, maybe hypnorm can clarify), was that up until this incident, there wasn't any trouble until they reopened a public footpath which had previously been closed not allowing non boat people to enter the area where the boats were moored.

The footpath was then reopened and people could wonder by. Of course, with that in mind, most of us would probably spare a thought (having had previous problems) of checking we had the best security we would for our boat in order to make it as safe as practical.

However if you had lived in a spot, or at least moored a boat in a spot for over 30 years (I think that length of time was mentioned), then it stands to reason you would be a bit more relaxed about thinking trouble wasn't going to happen.

The kids may or may not have carried out their actions anyway whether they were told to get lost or asked to move on nicely. That we will never know. What we do know is regardless of their motives, someone or a group of people saw fit to sink the boat. Not fair in anyone's book.

If it was my pride and joy I would do everything I could to salvage and refit, but as they were selling it at that point, and had already spent a lot of time doing it up, perhaps the same motivation is not there that would be if you were living on it, or it was your only boat.

Your situation is of your own making.

I can do without self inflicted sob stories. You could have alarmed the boat, locked all of the hatches, moored it in a secure area and many more things. When it came out of the water, you could have written that its great to get it out and that you'll be working to get it back to top condition.

children sinking a boat after being treated badly by the owners.

There are many boat owners who are away from their craft but they have done more to look after them than appears on this tread. There have been worse situations such as the couple who had their boat burnt out when they left it for the day. They lost everthing including all posessions. It's just the attitude that got me.

What a load of crap!

It is not a situation of our own making.

The boat was locked, and in a mooring with a locked gate which they had climbed over. The engine compartment isn't locked and i would like to know many people have locks on theirs. Alarms are a complete waste of time because no one takes any notice of them. So we don't moor in a marina, we can't afford the extortionate fees they charge, as a family we have moored on this field for over 30 years and only one other boat was ever sunk and that was by a narrow boat reversing into it and dissapearing without trace (this was over 20 years ago)

The 'KIDS' were not treated badly by any one we simply asked them to remove them selves from our private property to which we were greeted to a load of abuse. Its not like we waded in grabbed them and chucked them in the river. We Simply asked what they thought they were doing on some one elses property and to leave! There is nothing bad in that.

Yes there have been worse situations, but i started this thread to make any one who was in the area aware of potential trouble, not to be criticised about how we care or look after our boats.

And you have simply asumed that we are just writing off the boat? in fact you have assumed most things.

Well i have now been completely put off from using this forum any further, I may not be a canal user any more but i though people here might be quite welcoming, how wrong could i be!!!

Thank you to the few people who offered their sympathy and help, and thank you to the others who continued to upset, i hope that nothing like this happens to you, and if it does - dont forget to offer the trespassers and cup of tea, a biscuit, and a free ride, oh and maybe a tenner for their trouble!

Loads of recent posts, and I've read all but the last few anyway a tale I read while waiting in the Doctors surgery eons ago springs to mind.

A couple had bought an old stone cottage, and spent years putting heart and soul into making the dream home. She took her son to school, and came home to find a pile of rubble. There had been a gas explosion; but the house had no gas.

It appeared the gas main had ruptured in the street outside, which had leaked into the cellar of the house. When the oil fired central heating came on, the spark had ignited the gas. Because of the work done, the housing market, and other factors they were under-insured and in fact just about lost the lot.

She was thankful to have escaped with her own and families lives, but lived in a plain modest house and vowed never again to put much store in possession.

A lesson to us all, and one I always remember. Or be like me and have nowt desirable to anyone else.......that way they leave you alone.

Right I'm off boating........another fishing trip, with hopefully a music session tonight. I rarely look forward to anything, but am actually looking forward to this.....bet I'm disappointed but will try anyway <_<

Oh and the answer to these problems being discussed.......I've already said that, read through my posts.

Rest assured that out in the real world, normal people would be as upset about their boat being sunk as you. Trying to have a sane conversation about it here will only wind you up.

If you have got to my aproaching 50 years and never had any property violated, maliciously damaged, stolen, vandalised, destroyed by arson or generally fcuked up you have done extremely well to come out unscathed. You are touched by angels and must have been really nice in your previous life....

Well obviously I was very good in all of my previous lives and in the over 50years of this one but I've certainly experienced several of the things that you mention. And in some cases, many times. Which is why I empathise with other people who also experience them and would intervene to try and help them if I could. However in your case, it seems to have had the opposite effect. Which is rather sad really...........

I can't believe what a bunch of miseryguts we all are. :o

it's easy for people to be smug when it's happened to someone else. :o

Like I mentioned I have been there too.....

I've had cherished cars stolen and trashed (6 times)

I've had projects cars awaiting work vandalised

I've had a workshop burgled

I've had irreplacable items stolen by scrap metal thieves

I've seen close friends heritage vehicles destroyed by arson, (twice)

I've had a days new brickwork knocked down for 'fun'

I've had a neighboring empty house looted for the copper piping [including the gas pipe] (twice)

However in your case, it seems to have had the opposite effect

I have empathy with Hypnorm. I just know that telling scrap metal collectors to Fcuk right off you dirty thieving pikey bastards is not the way to go about hanging on to your prized posessions. <_<

:o I sometimes feel like Douglas Adams' 'rain god' :lol:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I thought i would post and warn people in the area of our situation.

This was the very first line in this thread....

I find it hard to believe Hypnorm has ended up being slated for simply relating a bad experience and trying to warn people of trouble that happened in an area where boats are moored.

I have empathy with Hypnorm. I just know that telling scrap metal collectors to Fcuk right off you dirty thieving pikey bastards is not the way to go about hanging on to your prized posessions. <_<

:o Although I don't think Hypernorm phrased it quite like that, to be honest!

'What do you think you are doing? Sorry but you will have to move off' uses far fewer expletives, suggestions of questionable personal hygiene, assumptions of criminal tendencies, derrogation of lifestyle or indeed questions over legitimacy of birth! :o:o

This boat did not sink because it was left unattended. It did not sink because the owners may or may not have been scrupulously polite when evicting trespassers. This boat sank because somebody deliberately sank it. That somebody is entirely and unmitigatedly to blame, no one else.

True.

Saying it was the boatowner's fault is like saying a woman in a short skirt is asking to be raped.

We should be able to leave our possessions without expecting them to be stolen, destroyed or defaced. Just because we can't (none of us can) doesn't make it our fault, it makes it the fault of the nasty little scrotes who committed the crime.

Perhaps we need an offence of "Endangering navigation" some dickhead vandal setting a boat adrift is at least as much of a risk to life and limb as someone steering a boat utterly hammered through drink, and we should be protected by similar penalties with offenders vigerously persued. Some hope. Some poor sod will have to die first.

Perhaps we need an offence of "Endangering navigation" some dickhead vandal setting a boat adrift is at least as much of a risk to life and limb as someone steering a boat utterly hammered through drink, and we should be protected by similar penalties with offenders vigerously persued. Some hope. Some poor sod will have to die first.

I agree.

Hypnorm, I think your approach to the youths was fine - reasonable and measured. The vandalism was quite uncalled for and totally out of order - as were many of the comments here. Of course property should be respected by others. And the law should ensure that it is.

Incidentally, isn't it spelled "whinging"?

Stickleback.

The vandalism was quite uncalled for ...............................Stickleback.

There's a suggestion there that, under different circumstances, some vandalism IS called for????

Chris

Boston had the right approach to mindless thugs. There particular problem was gun crime amongst young people. They started to impose exemplary sentences for any firearm misdemeanour,

eg:The Boston Gun Project reduced the number of killings by more than 60 per cent. Exemplary sentences were given - and publicised.

For example, a poster went up which said the following: "Problem: Freddie Cardoza. Gang member. Solution: Criminal Conviction. Arrested with one bullet. Sentence: 19 years, 7 months. No possibility of parole. Address: Otisville Federal Correction Institute, Maximum Security Facility, New York."

It sent a powerful message to young gang members that the community would not tolerate violence any more, and would punish it very severely indeed.

For the first time, youngsters were more frightened of the law than of each other. Dramatic falls in gun crime followed.

If, in the UK, criminal damage carried a 20 year sentence, that would make people think twice about it.

Chris

Edited by chris w

There's a suggestion there that, under different circumstances, some vandalism IS called for????

Chris

Boston had the right approach to mindless thugs. There particular problem was gun crime amongst young people. They started to impose exemplary sentences for any firearm misdemeanour,

eg:The Boston Gun Project reduced the number of killings by more than 60 per cent. Exemplary sentences were given - and publicised.

For example, a poster went up which said the following: "Problem: Freddie Cardoza. Gang member. Solution: Criminal Conviction. Arrested with one bullet. Sentence: 19 years, 7 months. No possibility of parole. Address: Otisville Federal Correction Institute, Maximum Security Facility, New York."

It sent a powerful message to young gang members that the community would not tolerate violence any more, and would punish it very severely indeed.

For the first time, youngsters were more frightened of the law than of each other. Dramatic falls in gun crime followed.

If, in the UK, criminal damage carried a 20 year sentence, that would make people think twice about it.

Chris

I prefer the stocks, old fashioned, not PC, but I suspect any teenager or adult for that matter faced with a few days subject to ridicule, ripe tomatoes etc. would think twice before commiting vandalism. Cheaper than prison as well.

:lol:

Ken