Trouble on River Avon

Hypnorm

Featured Posts

I thought i would post and warn people in the area of our situation.

We moor on the River Avon just above Strensham Lock, We own a seamaster 30 and on the side of her had our old boat a bounty 27 which was for sale.

My husband went to the boat this week to service another boat and also do some cleaning on the one we are selling.

On arrival he finds 3 hooded youths around 15-16 sat on both boats fishing, It is a Private fishing stretch. Tom asks them 'What do you think you are doing? Sorry but you will have to move off' he just gets a mouth ful of abuse, so Tom suggest that they will get wet as he will be pressure washing the boats soon as he has tp clean them, and they are welcome to stay there if the so wish, they asume he is threatening to throw them in, so hubby explains again that he will be cleaning the boats and continues up the field to service the other boat, on his return the kids have gone. Hubby leaves at 5pm... 9am the next day we have a phone call to say our for sale boat has sunk and is in the process of dragging the other one down.

We think that it has been sabotaged.. but will have to wait untill she is raised to find out for sure.

Also my dads water filler cap was taken from his boat which is moored nearby along with a steering wheel from previously sunken boat in the july floodings.

So just to warn people.

Kids dont seem to have any respect for things now, and good knows what they have put in the water tank so dad is having to drain and sterilise it now.

Edited by Hypnorm

Sometimes it pays just to ask nicely doesn't it.

We had a kid standing on a bridge on the Ashby, iron bar in hand. One of the other boats moored up told him to 'f off' etc, and the kid started him giving him a load of verbal, his mate hiding behind the bridge.

Anyway, the kid starts making stabbing gestures towards this chap with his iron bar. The bloke gets more irate, threatens to call the police etc, but this kid is not bothered at all. he just says 'prove it'. then lobs the iron bar with some force into the water below. A good 20 odd ducks underneath, how he didn't take one out is beyond me.

The kid could have come back and put paint stripper or anything on the boat, broken a window etc. Instead he spent the next few hours banging another iron bar on a gate a bit further down the road, terrifying a horse and making a general nuisance of himself.

I'd have personally just ignored him, asked him nicely to get down or just waited for the silly sod to fall in, and been prepared to drag him out if he couldn't manage it himself.

Hopefully your dad won't see the kids again, and hopefully next time he might just ask them to shuffle along nicely and hopefully get the desire response.

Sounds like he suffered a diplomacy bypass.

"Sorry chaps, I will have to ask you move shortly, hope you dont mind" might have been just he strategic maneuver that would have left his boat unmolested.

So you get home and find three strangers sat in your garden - do you ask them - 'hope you dont mind getting out of my garden.' - and they tell you to F. off whats it got to do with you!

People should respect others property, in no way was my husband threatening, he had been calm all the way through asking them to move along, as he honestly had work and cleaning to do, but just gets a mouthful of abuse.

Why should you have to be polite to people, who have no respect for themselves or anyone else.

I've worked with "Youths" "Hoodies" , both doing Duke of Edinburgh and as a Volunteer Youth Worker, from my experience treating them like scum generally doesn't get anyone anywhere, talking to them as people and giving them some respect goes a long way.

i am on no way making excuses for what these "3 hooded youths" might have done, but i'd agree with WJM, on it's how you approach them and talk to them that really makes a difference.

I spent a weekend this summer out with a group who were 15/16 been excluded from school and generally would be classified as "A nasty bunch" - but when you talk to them, and don't wade in with instant hostility they generally are exactly what they are, Young People.

Sorry to hear about the sunken boat, who ever did it - i hope they get caught.

It is not about the battle, its about the war!

I wouldnt care what it takes as long as the end result is good. I am happy to forgo my primeval assertion of supremacy over people who really dont matter to me. Treat them like oiks and they will respond accordingly. There is a chicken and an egg somewhere in this debate!

I came to a lock in East London recently where a very intimidating group of Hoodie Youffs had gathered. I was single handed and quiet frightened. First time ever I locked up the boat as I approached, even considered turning back. I got off, chatted with them, answered their innane questions, gave them windlasses and had them work the lock for me, they loved it - my guess is it was that or get nutted by them!

Edited by WJM

Obviously we have no proof to anything at the moment, and will have to wait till she gets refloated.

Other theories are that she has been hit by another boat, or there was some underlying damage from the floods.

Its all speculation.

Luckily it wasnt my dad who had caught them or he would have not been as pleasant.

I was entering a lock last year when a group of kids demanded a ride, yes, "demanded". I politely declined their request and they responded by hurling abuse at me and stones at my boat. What they didn't know was that my mate was already ashore, and threw one in the lock before they knew he was there, I belted another with a windlass and we had a bit of a laugh dunking the one in the lock under with a boat pole. So it's true, if you treat us as scum we will behave that way, if they had been polite there would have been no need for the ambulance.

Why on Gods green earth is their reaction to us getting uptight understandable, but us reacting to their orc behaviour requires diplomacy and tact.

Having a dog works wonders in these circumstances -

We moored up in Lincoln, next to the waterside centre, to get the kids their school stuff before the new term started. Smudge (being the obligatory male! :D ) didn't want to shop so went for a lie down instead. He woke up to hear some kids outside saying 'I'm jumping over there and having that bike'(that was on the roof), all he said, very quietly to the dog, was 'who's here?'. This is Kenny's signal to bark wildly, which he did, and the kids scattered! There was a lot of other people about and Smudge said all he could hear was laughter :D

Kenny the Wonder Dog to the rescue!

nqr14.jpg

Kenny and his teddy! (my big hard dog!) :D

Had her raised yesterday.

And the water inlet hose had been pulled off, jubillee clips and all, and also the starter battery so none of the bilge pumps would have worked either.

Hubby had taken the leisure batteries home to charge.

There are pics of her being raised here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1644...mp;id=540347622

Sounds like he suffered a diplomacy bypass.

"Sorry chaps, I will have to ask you move shortly, hope you dont mind" might have been just he strategic maneuver that would have left his boat unmolested.

Diplomacy bipass? Bit harsh, in my opinion, as it doesn't work that often, at least not with nasty oiks like those.

"Excuse me fellers" followed by "F*ck off now, I'm calling the police and by the way I've just taken your photo with my mobile phone" is probably what I would have said.

Had her raised yesterday.

And the water inlet hose had been pulled off, jubillee clips and all, and also the starter battery so none of the bilge pumps would have worked either.

Hubby had taken the leisure batteries home to charge.

There are pics of her being raised here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1644...mp;id=540347622

B*stards.

Sorry to hear about that. Sometimes it wouldn't matter how diplomatic you are. If they'd been reasonable human beings with respect for other people's property, they probably wouldn't have been sat on your boat in the first place.

As I've said before, a polite "Excuse me fellers, would you mind moving" is best followed up with a photo... one of the few good things about mobile phone technomejiggery... evidence. :lol:

But hindisght is f*cking irritating, isn't it?

I was entering a lock last year when a group of kids demanded a ride, yes, "demanded". I politely declined their request and they responded by hurling abuse at me and stones at my boat. What they didn't know was that my mate was already ashore, and threw one in the lock before they knew he was there, I belted another with a windlass and we had a bit of a laugh dunking the one in the lock under with a boat pole. So it's true, if you treat us as scum we will behave that way, if they had been polite there would have been no need for the ambulance.

Why on Gods green earth is their reaction to us getting uptight understandable, but us reacting to their orc behaviour requires diplomacy and tact.

Wait for my signal, then unleash hell <_<

I'd be inclined to quit while you're ahead. Next time they'll maybe burn it out before it sinks

I'm not sure that having your boat sunk counts as being ahead......... <_<

And if they find them again occupying the boat, what are you suggesting? That they just tiptoe away so as not to disturb them?

I'm all for peace & quiet and not being abusive to people or prejudging them but if they are making free with your property without your permission then it is YOU, not them, that is being treated with contempt.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

I'm not just meaning our boat, all the other boats on the field know and they tend to look after each other!

People seem to have some odd ideas on here!

I'm sure they wouldn't be happy to have 3 kids walking up and down on the roof of their boat, or sat on their bow fishing.

Kids don't seem to have any sense of value, respect, authority, they know they can basically do what they want and probably get away with it.

And if in groups they think they are invincible!

They probably had no fishing licenses or club licenses as it is a private fishing lease for the eckington fishing club.

And we we probably never see them again anyway.

Hindsight is an annoyin thing sometimes, could have contacted the local bayliff, and the police or even pretended the boat wasn't ours.

But its done now, All our hard work destroyed, sentimental value is something that can never be measured until you loose or have it destroyed.

My only comfort is that her hull is sound and that she might make a good project boat for someone.... i dont know what they do for salvage boats

There's enough dead heros out there already.

And if you are a complete pacifist by belief then I guess I can admire that. In fact I'd probably even die for your right to believe it. But personally I don't suscribe to the view that there is nothing worth putting yourself on the line for. And I'm certainly not going to stand by whilst someone takes over my boat. But if you let me know the name of yours, I promise I won't intervene if I see anything happening to that........... <_<

I'll add my saddness at your loss. I've spent the last 3.5 months gutting and refitting a "project" and cannot imagine finding it sunk by scum. By the way I searched hard for the right word and SCUM is the only one that fits.

Anyone who wants to say it's too harsh and it's not their fault. They've no facilities.. Broken homes etc.... go ahead.

Truth is they have no sense of respect for themselves, their family, neighbours or their property and especially for authority.

They do what they want, when they want and F*CK the world.

Well done mate!. Hope you used the pointy end of the boat hook. I totally agree with your last sentiment too.

Chris

I'll add my saddness at your loss. I've spent the last 3.5 months gutting and refitting a "project" and cannot imagine finding it sunk by scum. By the way I searched hard for the right word and SCUM is the only one that fits.

Anyone who wants to say it's too harsh and it's not their fault. They've no facilities.. Broken homes etc.... go ahead.

Truth is they have no sense of respect for themselves, their family, neighbours or their property and especially for authority.

They do what they want, when they want and F*CK the world.

Iam sorry to hear your loss no one deserves this.

We where traveling down the soar earlier this year when leaving a lock we where informed by a boat that there was a gang of scruffy teanagers camped out at the next lock and had not been very plesent. When we arrived i exited the boat (leaving wife at the helm) and proceeded to raise paddles to set lock i agree the presence of these young people in there tents with beer cans lying about and a big bonfire alight was intimidating, but i did as i allways try to do and approached them and struck up conversation and found these people to be ok, in fact by the time the boat was going down in the lock they had offered me a burger off there barbeque.

I have always believed if you make the effort these people with be fine. i do admit there are exceptions but on the hole they are just being over defencieve.

And if you are a complete pacifist by belief then I guess I can admire that.

Pacifism doesn't come into it. I just think that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...... <_<

I've spent the last 3.5 months gutting and refitting a "project" and cannot imagine finding it sunk by scum.

That's not a problem. Just claim on the insurance, you might even make profit enough to have a professional job done next time.........

Edited by Hairy-Neil

The Choir Boys (book by joeseph wambaugh) came up with the word 'Scrote' one of the characters 'Roscoe Rules' had thought long and hard about it......adopted by police officers throughout the uk during the 80's as the in word to describe ner-do-wells
That's not a problem. Just claim on the insurance, you might even make profit enough to have a professional job done next time.........
Insurance isnt going to bring back all the hours of hard graft/time and money you have put into something that your proud to call all your own work, and it bumps up your premiums for next time so you still end up paying for the scrotes slaggish behaviour. Ill defend my home,family and self to the hilt and worry about legal repercussions later......the only thing that chap did wrong shooting the burgler in his house was calling the police.

Salty stands back and waits for incoming.....but he has his 10" armour plated ex admiral jellicoe petticoat donned ready to deflect

Edited by saltysplash