Thunder.............................................Flies

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

This year I have been plagued with minute black flies inside. They are attracted to the screen, very erratic fliers, but fast moving.

Someone said they are thunder flies but its not thundering!

Cannot find anything that they could be living on, done the cleaning 4 times this year, should be enough.

Any suggestions that are not insulting or impracticable?

Edited by Tracy D'arth

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

This year I have been plagued with minute black flies inside. They are attracted to the screen, very erratic fliers, but fast moving.

Someone said they are thunder flied but its not thundering!

Cannot find anything that they could be living on, done the cleaning 4 times this year, should be enough.

Ant suggestions that are not insulting or impracticable?

Are the farmers harvesting anywhere near?

That's when they usually appear.

As for ant suggestions......

They are usually available in red or black and with or without wings.

They are attracted to jam (any flavour)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I've only got one left and she lives in a home in Australia, but she's very polite.  I'll see what she says.

Its not my fault that the T and the Y are next to one another, its that daft bat that designed the keyboard to slow typist down because his machine was not up to the job.

Dilly nastard, xall himself an wengineer!

53 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its not my fault that the T and the Y are next to one another, its that daft bat that designed the keyboard to slow typist down because his machine was not up to the job.

She said ....

"Cor strewth, known as banana and vinegar flies, the flies have notoriously proven to be a nuisance due to their ability to instantly plague our homes.  Rotting apples are a particular magnet but flies also zone in on ripened fruit and veg while the dregs of liquid left-overs can be just as appealing. The female can lay 200 eggs a day every day.  To stop the breeding cycle. Placing vinegar or fruit in jars will attract flies and using rolled up paper as a cone will provide an entrance but no exit for the insects, leaving them unable to escape.

Then she shouted "Fair Dinkum" and opened another plastic 5 litre of sweet sherry.

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

She said ....

"Cor strewth, known as banana and vinegar flies, the flies have notoriously proven to be a nuisance due to their ability to instantly plague our homes.  Rotting apples are a particular magnet but flies also zone in on ripened fruit and veg while the dregs of liquid left-overs can be just as appealing. The female can lay 200 eggs a day every day.  To stop the breeding cycle. Placing vinegar or fruit in jars will attract flies and using rolled up paper as a cone will provide an entrance but no exit for the insects, leaving them unable to escape.

Then she shouted "Fair Dinkum" and opened another plastic 5 litre of sweet sherry.

Thunder flies are not the same as fruit flies

They are called thrips and they are a pain. They get behind computer screens and when they land on you they irritate something orrible. They are on corn and other crops and when the crops get harvested they fly all the place. Sometimes up ere in rural Yorkshire there is a dust like layer on our window sills inside the house..

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=876

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Qwerty, his name was. 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The QWERTY keyboard was designed to speed typists up by moving common pairs of letters apart so that the hammers didn't collide.

15 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The QWERTY keyboard was designed to speed typists up by moving common pairs of letters apart so that the hammers didn't collide.

Is that why there's also no keys for double letters (like that "T" I had to strike twice successively in "letters" )?  ;)

Actually, I didn't know that and it's quite interesting.  :)

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

That's correct and sensible. But what was the logic designing calculators so that the numbers were in the wrong order?

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's correct and sensible. But what was the logic designing calculators so that the numbers were in the wrong order?

It's phones that have upside-down keypads: calculators are the logical way around!

Seriously, it is to do with the way early mechanical calculators worked - the bean counters got used to them, so the layout was kept when calculators went electronic.

• Greenie 1