Cratch for narrow boat

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

That looks very vulnerable in tunnels. Not tapered enough towards the bow.

I understand why you say that, but that is not the case, the cover is within the profile of the roof and bow and i have never hit it on any infrustructure. Had one for 5 years, gives lots of room inside and easy access to the gas locker and on top which is quite useful. The only time i have taken it down is when on deep river locks for better front rope access and through Froghall tunnel.

3 hours ago, Cas446 said:

For a different approach you could go for a cratch hood. No boards required.

https://canvasman.co.uk/cratch-hood

They now do raised versions for extra headroom.

Can't say I like the appearance much. Looks like a boat with a stern canopy going backwards. And when you do fold it down , where does the canvas go, and if you remove the canvas and stow it where does the frame go?

Edited by David Mack

If pram covers are not your thing then this won't either. The frame is a hoop and fits on the double bed or behind the sofa, it's one piece but very light polished stainless steel, but removal is rare. The canvas folds up, but only removed it a handful of times. It is just another option.

On 18/09/2020 at 18:40, Loddon said:

Board or cover?

If cover i used

https://www.garlandhoods.co.uk

He us based in  Milton Keynes

My cover is 5 years old and looks  like new

Similar, I actually think it was your recommendation on here when you had it done that had me choose him.  I am very pleased with it still, although it could do with a clean.  He travelled to Calcutt marina at Napton to measure up and then again to fit.

15 hours ago, Cas446 said:

For a different approach you could go for a cratch hood. No boards required.

https://canvasman.co.uk/cratch-hood

They now do raised versions for extra headroom.

These are the idiots that put marine grade stainless pop rivets into my neighbour's freshly painted boat but neglected to apply any copper ease or silicone grease behind them, so a few months later rust is emerging behind each one. It's a nice website but I wouldn't use them if they can't get the basics right 

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

These are the idiots that put marine grade stainless pop rivets into my neighbour's freshly painted boat but neglected to apply any copper ease or silicone grease behind them, so a few months later rust is emerging behind each one. It's a nice website but I wouldn't use them if they can't get the basics right 

Valid point, but your neighbour dropped a bollock there, you get covers fitted before painting, not after - to ensure the liability for any corrosion around fittings is with the correct party.

15 hours ago, Cas446 said:

Valid point, but your neighbour dropped a bollock there, you get covers fitted before painting, not after - to ensure the liability for any corrosion around fittings is with the correct party.

I'm afraid that's nonsense. Whether you get covers fitted before painting or after is irrelevant if the holes drilled for the fittings aren't protected with copper ease, silicone grease, etc.

If you get covers fitted before painting and you're suggesting protecting the holes with paint, how are going to get paint behind pop-rivetted fittings? 

Liability for the corroding holes lies solely with the party who drilled the holes - i.e. the canopy fitters. That's patently obvious to anyone. All they had to do to avoid the issue was dab the end of each pop rivet into a bit of copper ease. You'd think even the most amateur canopy fitter would realise that!

Edited by blackrose

On 23/09/2020 at 23:42, blackrose said:

Liability for the corroding holes lies solely with the party who drilled the holes - i.e. the canopy fitters. That's patently obvious to anyone

You've misunderstood. Firstly I agree with you, that is why I said 'valid point'. If you are going to get a boat painted and by that I mean properly by a professional, then you get covers fitted first along with anything else that results in drilling or welding of the shell. You then hand the boat over to the painter who has the responsibility of removing all the fittings, painting and then refitting of all the fittings, hence my point about the painter having liability for corrosion around those fittings as the painter fitted them - it no longer matters who drilled them. This is basic contract management, ordering of activities to ensure liability is with the most appropriate contractor.

It is not advisable to get your boat painted and them employ someone else to drill holes in the new paintwork, hence invalidating any opportunity of redress with the painter. The liability (at those locations) moves to the canvas installer who's T&Cs will be very limiting.

Hope that's clearer now, but as I said I agree with your point about if they are going to install fixings they need to do it properly, but you take on risk as an owner which you can avoid, in this specific situation.

Edited by Cas446