Single or Dual Terminal Busbars WITH COVERS??

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Whilst no issues to date, I've been conscious of voltage drop between battery bank and domestic stuff in the lounge. havent measure the existing cables, but they arent very thick.

So..... I am planning to run 25mm cables, from battery bank at the stern, to the lounge at the front, where much of the domestic power is drawn. There will be one junction at the beginning of the lounge.

At the junction, mid lounge, I would like dual terminal positive and negative bus bars, with covers to prevent the danger of a short circuit. At the front of the lounge, I would like single terminal busbars with covers, although Dual would be OK.

I can find terminals without covers, but none with. I can find busbars with 4 terminals and covers, but it would be space wasting, and overkill, as well as a bit more expensive.

Any suggestions welcomed :) 

These are the terminals which look ideal on Amazon:

Dual Terminal 8mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Heavy-Duty-Terminal-Connecting-Junction/dp/B07S3VMFYS/ref=sr_1_45?adgrpid=59983266664&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZH7BRDzARIsAGjbK2ZcQ-i-S0i-ArGnRPgxPQax18LiHUMOXMEBybXBMVnNPfkM9sPAQy0aAkMaEALw_wcB&hvadid=259018097955&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046455&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=16674913800891309554&hvtargid=kwd-297761654631&hydadcr=172_1786968&keywords=busbars&qid=1600435486&sr=8-45&tag=googhydr-21&th=1

Single terminal 6mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12V-busbar-terminals-insulated-connector/dp/B07X44LYL6

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

How on earth did I not find that ? :( Just the job!!

I'm probably going to buy most of the stuff from 12volt planet, but that didnt come up on any of my searches.

Many Thanks!!!

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

How on earth did I not find that ? :( Just the job!!

I'm probably going to buy most of the stuff from 12volt planet, but that didnt come up on any of my searches.

Many Thanks!!!

It's because you were only searching for busbars at a guess.  That's a junction box, not a busbar.

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Whilst no issues to date, I've been conscious of voltage drop between battery bank and domestic stuff in the lounge. havent measure the existing cables, but they arent very thick.

So..... I am planning to run 25mm cables, from battery bank at the stern, to the lounge at the front, where much of the domestic power is drawn. There will be one junction at the beginning of the lounge.

At the junction, mid lounge, I would like dual terminal positive and negative bus bars, with covers to prevent the danger of a short circuit. At the front of the lounge, I would like single terminal busbars with covers, although Dual would be OK.

I can find terminals without covers, but none with. I can find busbars with 4 terminals and covers, but it would be space wasting, and overkill, as well as a bit more expensive.

Any suggestions welcomed :) 

These are the terminals which look ideal on Amazon:

Dual Terminal 8mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Heavy-Duty-Terminal-Connecting-Junction/dp/B07S3VMFYS/ref=sr_1_45?adgrpid=59983266664&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZH7BRDzARIsAGjbK2ZcQ-i-S0i-ArGnRPgxPQax18LiHUMOXMEBybXBMVnNPfkM9sPAQy0aAkMaEALw_wcB&hvadid=259018097955&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046455&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=16674913800891309554&hvtargid=kwd-297761654631&hydadcr=172_1786968&keywords=busbars&qid=1600435486&sr=8-45&tag=googhydr-21&th=1

Single terminal 6mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12V-busbar-terminals-insulated-connector/dp/B07X44LYL6

Don't forget to pot in a correctly sized fuse near the batteries.

5 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

? there is already a 125A fuse close to the batteries. I may need more fuses at the 2 points where it steps down from 25mm2 cable at the junction boxes.

You should fit a fuse/mcb where ever the cable size reduces so you have the correct sized fuse to protect the cable.

25 sq mm CCSA THIN WALL cable is rated at 170 amps so your 125 amp main fuse will protect it but more fuses will be needed at the front where you connect smaller cables to it.

• Greenie 1