Inshore Forecast for next week

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I know its not the canals but the 'weather' will be carried inland and will affect you.

I think we will stay safely tied up with force 7 winds and waves up to (and over) 3 metres high I wouldn't want to be off a rocky beach & 'hanging on the hook".

Wise call. Keep as much pleasure as you can in pleasure boating. Enjoy the lay day or two  on a good mooring until it passes by.

Not all the weather models agree the severity of the storm yet for the end of next week. The change from this nice warm weather looks like as a result in a buckling of the jet stream putting us on the wrong side of it. This is all due to Sally so let's blame her. I'm not sure the winds will be that strong but of more interest is the -4 deg C uppers at 850hPa which will if right bring us single digit temps and maybe snow in Scotland. 

It is 7 days off so they may well have got the effect of Sally wrong as the North Atlantic models are not that good at gulf coast hurricanes.

Edited by Dr Bob

35 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Not all the weather models agree the severity of the storm yet for the end of next week. The change from this nice warm weather looks like as a result in a buckling of the jet stream putting us on the wrong side of it. This is all due to Sally so let's blame her. I'm not sure the winds will be that strong but of more interest is the -4 deg C uppers at 850hPa which will if right bring us single digit temps and maybe snow in Scotland. 

It is 7 days off so they may well have got the effect of Sally wrong as the North Atlantic models are not that good at gulf coast hurricanes.

Good to see that in these days of change and turmoil, the old Equinoctial gales are acting as consistently as they always have done. Once over, let's hope for a few good settled weeks in October.

Howard

Just now, Mac of Cygnet said:

So where will all this turmoil be?  I've just looked at the forecast for this area (Scottish Borders)  and there is absolutely no indication of anything untoward.

Ditto in The Midlands. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Ditto in The Midlands. 

I think you misunderstand. I didn't mean that the weather is in turmoil. I meant that in these strange times of turmoil in the world it is good to see that some things like the Eqinuctial Gales are still as reliable as ever.

Howard

Edited by howardang

33 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

So where will all this turmoil be?  I've just looked at the forecast for this area (Scottish Borders)  and there is absolutely no indication of anything untoward.

Only a few of the models have picked up the buckling jet stream late next week. Half of them are still showing us under the influence of high pressure on the right side of the jet stream hence your weather apps are not picking up a 'possible' storm. It's anyone guess at the moment. The models are likely to converge on the real outcome over the next 2-4 days.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Only a few of the models have picked up the buckling jet stream late next week. Half of them are still showing us under the influence of high pressure on the right side of the jet stream hence your weather apps are not picking up a 'possible' storm. It's anyone guess at the moment. The models are likely to converge on the real outcome over the next 2-4 days.

With plenty of rain Wednesday to Friday hopefully :D

12 hours ago, howardang said:

I think you misunderstand. I didn't mean that the weather is in turmoil. I meant that in these strange times of turmoil in the world it is good to see that some things like the Eqinuctial Gales are still as reliable as ever.

Howard

Are they?   They'd better hurry up then - the equinox is on Monday and our local forecast is 'Sunny intervals and a gentle breeze'   ?

13 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Forecast wind correct, Location spectacularly wrong.

20000 kilometres away, a very brief but very vicious squall about 60 knots dealt to two trucks on the Auckland Harbour Bridge.

Truck one, a curtain sider was blown across two lanes into and almost over the centre concrete moveable barrier.

Truck two, a flat deck carrying a container was blown into a vertical tie of the structural arch. Bounced off and continued on.

The trouble was it snapped the structural tie off, so now 4 of the eight lanes are closed, could be for some weeks until a structural assessment and repair are made. 

Made a miserable commute home on Friday evening with the traffic jams reaching far back into the city streets.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, DandV said:

Forecast wind correct, Location spectacularly wrong.

20000 kilometres away, a very brief but very vicious squall about 60 knots dealt to two trucks on the Auckland Harbour Bridge.

Truck one, a curtain sider was blown across two lanes into and almost over the centre concrete moveable barrier.

Truck two, a flat deck carrying a container was blown into a vertical tie of the structural arch. Bounced off and continued on.

The trouble was it snapped the structural tie off, so now 4 of the eight lanes are closed, could be for some weeks until a structural assessment and repair are made. 

Made a miserable commute home on Friday evening with the traffic jams reaching far back into the city streets.

Oh joy ;)