K&A problems

MrsM

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

It can happen on canals too of course when kids get hold of a windlass and deliberately decide to empty a pound in the middle of the night.

Wasn't that supposed to be the cause of the Middlewich breach a couple of years ago?

Edited by David Mack

I think the reason people make the distinction between the K&A and the River Avon is because it's very clear where you leave the canal and go onto the river. At the other end of the K&A the distinction between the canal and the Kennet isn't quite as clear, not as I remember it anyway but I've only done the full length once.

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think the reason people make the distinction between the K&A and the River Avon is because it's very clear where you leave the canal and go onto the river. At the other end of the K&A the distinction between the canal and the Kennet isn't quite as clear, not as I remember it anyway but I've only done the full length once.

That may well be correct, however, the distinctions tend to be made by people who live miles away, and do not know the area. I live within a mile of the K&A, near Bradford on Avon where we have both the Avon and the K&A Canal, and we all know the difference.

Edited by David Schweizer

37 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

That may well be correct, however, the distinctions tend to be made by people who live miles away, and do not know the area. I live within a mile of the K&A, near Bradford on Avon where we have both the Avon and the K&A Canal, and we all know the difference.

As I said, everyone knows the difference between the canal and the river at that end of the K&A because it's very obvious so you don't have to live there to know. However, I suspect most people living at the other end in the Newbury area (or wherever the canal becomes the Kennet) wouldn't know where one becomes the other simply because the distinction isn't so obvious.

Edited by blackrose

18 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

If they are the ones that I think they are, the sluices are comparatively modern, and were installed as part of a system to prevent flooding in Bath. I doubt that they would ever qualify for listed status. Some years ago, when the river was in flood, the Environment Agency closed them to prevent flooding in Bath, Consequently the water backed up on the Avon causing flood havoc in Bradford on Avon and other upstream riverside communities

Can't see how some sluices below most of Bath being raised either protected Bath or caused flooding above Bath.

For those unfamiliar with Bath, and as the Press are being fairly hopeless with their descriptions, I will attempt to explain. There are two sets of sluices in Bath which together manage river flow and flood levels in The City, The upstream sluice is adjacent to Poultney Weir and is in the Unnavigable River Avon. The second set are downstream, next to the lock in the canalized section at Twerton, and are on the K&A Canal section of the Avon. I believe it is this set which has failed, causing the  water loss between Twerton and Bath bottom locks.  Both sets work to control water levels both above Bath and below the city along with the critical levels in the City centre itself. 

image.png.d37f349d693e231ea6ec947f73461f76.png

Sluice next to Poultney Wier

image.png.cd25dce28f438f17858fd82ececae6cc.png

Sluices at Twerton

Edited by David Schweizer

20 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

I just have and I'm none the wiser.

:unsure:

Yeah, same here

20 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Geek humour from the 1990s - don't worry about it.

I'm just concerned that I still have it in my brain nearly 30 years later!

Well that explains it, a bit anyway

13 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Money has been raised for the owners of the sunk boats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-54206793

58 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I wonder how many of these boaters were uninsured, or with third party only?

I'd have thought that they would have a very good case against CaRT for full compensation.

18 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I'd have thought that they would have a very good case against CaRT for full compensation.

From the interview with a man from the EA on our local news I think any compensation may be coming from the EA.

17 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

AFAIK, the sluices are operated by the Environment Agency, not C&RT and read somwhere that the EA were collating information in order to compensate those boaters who have been affected.

42 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Ditto, (but the EA rather than CRT) Even boaters who are insured should not be expected to claim on their own insurance if the liability is someone else's.

But it sounds as if the EA are going to 'do the right thing'.