what's your battery bank level at 8am?

jenevers

Featured Posts

Well mine were reading 11.0v at 8.30 this morning, with all my alarms going off?

That was because I was doing an annual test of my lithiums though! Still holding exactly the same capacity as when installed 2 years ago -: around 280ah. Probably could extract more, but that's as far as I like to push them, and an easily repeatable test. Main thing is no detectable loss after 2 years. 

Tom

• Greenie 2

I have 4 x 110 AGM's

At this time of year if I've last run the engine at 6pm the reading at midnight is about 12.7.  With the inverter permanently on and a 240v fridge and a small 240v table top freezer running, the reading at 7am (before the solars have kicked in) is around 12.3 to 12.4.  In the evenings we have the 12v TV and 240v PVR recorder on and a couple of wall lights.

I never let it go below 12.2 but I worry that soon, with us having no solid fuel stove, that our Webasto central heating might just prove to be enough of a drain to take the charge below the 12.2 overnight which is supposed to be the lower limit before starting to damage the batteries.  Are central heating systems much of a drain or do you think it will be okay?

I will now await the derogatory remarks about my set up being too power hungry :) .

2 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I have 4 x 110 AGM's

Your power useage is your business, and nobody elses.

On average, it seems that a frugal boater uses around 70Ah per day, and a profligate boater uses around 120/130Ah per day.

If your batteries are full late afternoon, and at 50% SOC the following morning, either:

1) You are using around 220Ah between late afternoon and next morning

or

2) Your batteries dont have the capacity they had when new.

Your useage doesn't sound excessive so, if you are a "typical profligate boater", and are using 130Ah per day, your batteries have a capacity somewhere South of 260Ah.

Seems excessive to me, we stop around 3pm, solar still producing until 7 or so, 10hrs later Smartgauge says we have used about 6% (12.65v) of our 2 year old bank of 3x 130ah LA. That is watching tele 6 until 10 and 230v fridge with inverter in power save mode.  Works out about 56Ah.

I didn't know I could be so frugal ;)