Gearbox Identification

Steph H

Featured Posts

I'm trying to identify the gearbox that I have on my Beta 38 engine. I can see that it is a Newage but the numbers that are on this plate don't seem to relate to any gearbox model that I can find.

Any help or suggestions?

20200915_100248_resize_58.jpg

Aahh ok thank you. I was looking for specifically 260D2 and just wasn't really getting anywhere and as I don't know about these things at all, still learning hence trying to find out information I didn't know that it was am old model.

I didn't know if the D2 bit was important to finding the right model ?

29 minutes ago, Steph H said:

Aahh ok thank you. I was looking for specifically 260D2 and just wasn't really getting anywhere and as I don't know about these things at all, still learning hence trying to find out information I didn't know that it was am old model.

I didn't know if the D2 bit was important to finding the right model ?

It is. 

The D means it's the dropped/offset shaft version so it's different to the C version where the shaft is in the centre so seems to go straight through.  The C model won't line up between the engine and propshaft on your boat.

The 2 means it's the 2:1 ratio box - they also did a 3:1 ratio (3 version) which means your propeller would turn at the "wrong" speed.

I think it was only a few years ago they dropped it (2017?), and they are still selling the 260C so parts are still available. 

Is there something up with it, or were you just trying to identify exactly what you have for future reference?

59 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It is. 

The D means it's the dropped/offset shaft version so it's different to the C version where the shaft is in the centre so seems to go straight through.  The C model won't line up between the engine and propshaft on your boat.

The 2 means it's the 2:1 ratio box - they also did a 3:1 ratio (3 version) which means your propeller would turn at the "wrong" speed.

I think it was only a few years ago they dropped it (2017?), and they are still selling the 260C so parts are still available. 

Is there something up with it, or were you just trying to identify exactly what you have for future reference?

Just trying to identify for future reference and to learn about what I've got. I'm getting manuals for the engine and gearbox so that I can learn about them and wanted to make sure I get the right one.

Thank you for your help ?

• Happy 1