Televisions

Trace

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I too have a Tv which is 12v and 240v

plus an iPad upon which I watch iplayer

I have created a further choice 

I have two tablets and two mifi's ..... Not sure if that creates choice or chaos, they both seem to be imperfect. My phone also has some irregular imput

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Someone on here offered an opinion that better decoders were fitted to 240 volt tv so I took them at their word and bought a 240 Volt LG TV. With an omnimax aerial attached to a signal booster it has never failed to find 100+ tv stations.

You might find that the power adapter provides the TV with 19V DC. At least that's what I found with a 24" LG I owned for a while. Also saw a lot of bigger Sony TVs, (up to 40" or so), an adapter to convert 240V AC to 19V DC.

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have two tablets 

I took 3 today. One was a vitamin D tablet and the other two were echinaecia. Stops colds you know! Don't tell Donald.

43 minutes ago, LadyG said:

............ also has some irregular imput

.......better than irregular output!?

Many mains TVs are really 12v ones and include an adaptor box to work off mains. Our Bush is like that. Its not

too easy to find out which models are like this, I went into Argos and they were very good, opened a few boxes to discover if they worked on 12v, it doesn't say on the outside of the box.

Then you can get a 12v stabilised adaptor to run it safely off the batteries when the alternator is pumping out 14 + volts.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Many mains TVs are really 12v ones and include an adaptor box to work off mains. Our Bush is like that. Its not

too easy to find out which models are like this, I went into Argos and they were very good, opened a few boxes to discover if they worked on 12v, it doesn't say on the outside of the box.

Then you can get a 12v stabilised adaptor to run it safely off the batteries when the alternator is pumping out 14 + volts.

If you go into John Lewis, you can see the back of most of the TVs they sell. You can quickly see whether the input cable is DC or AC then, if it's DC, you can get a bit closer and see the voltage.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

If you go into John Lewis, you can see the back of most of the TVs they sell. You can quickly see whether the input cable is DC or AC then, if it's DC, you can get a bit closer and see the voltage.

It doesn’t actually matter that much what the D.C. voltage is. You can get 12V adaptors that supply all sorts of voltages. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

But some hum, its a bit late when you have bought it to find the set up doesnt work

This is why I said pure sine wave. I get hum over the speakers when I run things from the cheapo emergency backup inverter the couple of times when the posh Victron throws a tantrum. There are higher frequency harmonics in the modified sine wave that can get through to the speakers sometimes.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There are higher frequency harmonics in the modified sine wave that can get through to the speakers sometimes.

Yep. If you draw a sine wave then add the second harmonic over the top, then the third, and keep going... you get a square wave :)

17 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yep. If you draw a sine wave then add the second harmonic over the top, then the third, and keep going... you get a square wave :)

Indeed, you can get any periodic waveform you like (eg square) by adding harmonics at the right amplitudes.  Fourier series/transform theory, which I have not quite forgotten.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy