Hurleston Reservoir

plainsman

Featured Posts

Travelling on the Shroppie at Hurleston Junction I noticed. Series of white posts in groups of two, three and four. They on the embankment of the resovoiur dam opposite the main line towpath. Any idea what they are for? Have asked a couple of locals and long-term moorers but no luck. Satisfy my curiosity please.

Embankment movement monitoring? I notice that there are also some metal stakes. An odd arrangement.

They were never there when the local farmer grazed sheep on there.  He stopped when C&RT tried to bill him for the free service he provided in keeping the grass down. Now C&RT have to spend thousands every year cutting the grass....................................................Corporate efficiency?  Any questions to Julie Sharman.

22 minutes ago, plainsman said:

Travelling on the Shroppie at Hurleston Junction I noticed. Series of white posts in groups of two, three and four. They on the embankment of the resovoiur dam opposite the main line towpath. Any idea what they are for? Have asked a couple of locals and long-term moorers but no luck. Satisfy my curiosity please.

If the grass is short enough and you look along the bank, it's obvious that there are slips in the face of the bank there. The top of the dam is reinforced with steel piling above them. My guess is that the posts are for monitoring of any further movement.

MP.

Although I was very interested in geography, I didn't study it formally at school beyond "O" level as it didn't fit with my intention to become an engineer. However, I used to borrow the "A" level geography and geology text books from friends who were studying it,  for light relief. From memory, the 1960's technique was to accurately drill vertical holes at accurately-surveyed points, and line them with plastic tubes. Periodically, glass tubes partly filled with hydrofluoric acid woud be lowered into the plastic tubes to various depths and left while the acid did its work. The angle of the boundary between the etched and non-etched glass would show the angle of the plastic tube at that depth, allowing the relative movement  between different depths of soil at each location to be established, and by accurately surveying the positions of the tops of the plastic tubes, the amount of absolute movement. No doubt these days it is all done electronically.