12V Slow Cooker

Eldog

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Mr D’s Thermal Cooker is another option. 
https://mrdscookware.com

Have you used one? I have been considering one and I know some love their Mr D cooker but I'm keen to hear from more who actually use them.

2 hours ago, Eldog said:

Hi

Does anyone know of a 12V slow cooker that actually works and isn't going to cost more than a few pints of beer?

Ta

years ago,  I was tempted by one I saw for sale at the chandlery at Whilton. Decided that in winter my back stove did a similar job. Could be useful in summer though.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Have you used one? I have been considering one and I know some love their Mr D cooker but I'm keen to hear from more who actually use them.

Yes, we used it regularly on the boat and in the caravan.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

We use a 240 volt one while we are traveling then put a purpose made "Tea Cosy" over it until we want to eat. Just bought some 3M Thinsulate to improve the cosy. I thing a 240 volt electric pressure cooker may be more energy efficient 

We do that with our 240V slow cooker but improvise using a couple of towels. Works very well.

26 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

,  I was tempted by one I saw for sale at the chandlery at Whilton. Decided that in winter my back stove did a similar job. Could be useful in summer though.

We only use our slow cooker in the summer, winter its on the stove

1 hour ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Thankyou

My other half uses one of these things or similar and loves it, bring the pan up to temp on the stove and bung it in the insulated bag.

I have no idea if this is the exact type she uses but it is similar. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderbag-Portable-Cooker-Recipe-Khaki/dp/B00FXKMJI8

43 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

My other half uses one of these things or similar and loves it, bring the pan up to temp on the stove and bung it in the insulated bag.

I have no idea if this is the exact type she uses but it is similar. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderbag-Portable-Cooker-Recipe-Khaki/dp/B00FXKMJI8

Mr D’s is a kind of 21st century version of that ;)

• Greenie 1

You need a haybox. Plenty of videos out there; here's one made of cardboard that should cost a couple of quid if you go wild. Many years ago I made one. All you do is make a stew (or whatever) bring it to the boil, pop the pan in an insulated box and leave it for several hours.

Some of the best meals I recall eating came out of ours. Unfortunately some species of black insect took up residence in ours and we had to part company.

Having thought about this for the first time in ages, I may well make one again out of some offcuts I have around.

A word of caution:

Be aware that unless hot cooked food is held above a certain temperature pathogenic microorganisms can grow and cause illness.

Unless you are able to measure the temperature of the food with a probe I would be extremely cautious about leaving hot food for any significant length of time in an improvised and potentially inefficient insulated container without any heat source to keep it above the danger zone.

https://www.foodsafetyguru.co.uk/the-danger-zone/

Edited by blackrose

On 17/09/2020 at 10:22, Onionman said:

Seriously, get a cardboard box of roughly the correct size (see video). Put in layers of cardboard with a pan-shaped hole in them as insulation until it's full. Total cost, zero. Uses up old cardboard. Works as well as a slow cooker and uses no energy.

Brilliant idea. In all honesty, I’d rather buy the Real thing.