Grand Union Canal

Karis

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Peter X said:

The low bridge you are referring to is probably the Osney bridge over the Thames, carrying the main road west out of the city centre. A typical narrow boat will normally fit under it, provided that you clear the roof and take any chimney down as you approach. You might be approaching quickly if going downstream and the river has a bit of a flow on. Steer carefully and mind your head!

As said, there are two connections from the canal into the river; the Sheepwash channel which connects from just upstream of Osney Bridge to near the end of the canal in the city centre (just down from its last lock), and Dukes' Cut about two miles up river. The latter is usual, being rather a faster way to do it whether you're going up river towards Lechlade, or down river towards Abingdon and Reading. But for the latter, you have to get under Osney Bridge either way.

Now you've reminded me, yes it was indeed Osney bridge but many years ago, thanks again to all for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again

So, Covid 19 & upcoming Boris lock down announcements permitting, we are due to collect our boat at Weedon on Monday afternoon. It seems I've got two options;

Head North towards Welford or

Head South towards Cosgrove

No experience of the area at all & wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to which route might suit us best for our 4 day break? One or two overnight moorings/meals at/near a decent pub/restaurant would go down well if they are open.

Given Monday lunch/afternoon pick up, top of Buckby flight, New Inn.

Tuesday do Watford Flight, Welford Arm, the Wharf.

Wednesday, Foxton, turn, moor somehwere nice.

Thursday, down Watford, and maybe Buckby, Weedon- the Crossroads.

Friday return.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Friday return.

What's the state of Welford lock, is it useable?

I seem to recall there was some doubt regarding it's gates.

Bod.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Friday return.

I once did very similar in a midweek hire but from Stockton Top.

However, the OP suggested four hour days which would probably only get them to Welford, even from Weedon.

37 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I once did very similar in a midweek hire but from Stockton Top.

However, the OP suggested four hour days which would probably only get them to Welford, even from Weedon.

Ah, didnt see the part time hour days thing.

Thanks for all the replies & suggestions. "Four hour days" is not set in stone but I have never seen the point in steaming 8+ hours a day just for the sake of it, If there are places to stop & things to see along the way, I prefer to split the day into one or two stops before mooring overnight.

One time on the Thames & with two kids under 10, we had such bad weather we made the decision to "about turn" & motored non-stop all the way from Henley to Kingston where we used to moor overnight before the tidal passage next day back to Essex. Not much else was moving on the river but we were accompanied for much of the way by a guy on a 60ft narrow boat, I did feel sorry for him stood at the back out in the open & sopping wet as we paired up & navigated through each lock but he didn't seem too bothered!

9 hours ago, Karis said:

Thanks for all the replies & suggestions. "Four hour days" is not set in stone but I have never seen the point in steaming 8+ hours a day just for the sake of it, If there are places to stop & things to see along the way, I prefer to split the day into one or two stops before mooring overnight.

One time on the Thames & with two kids under 10, we had such bad weather we made the decision to "about turn" & motored non-stop all the way from Henley to Kingston where we used to moor overnight before the tidal passage next day back to Essex. Not much else was moving on the river but we were accompanied for much of the way by a guy on a 60ft narrow boat, I did feel sorry for him stood at the back out in the open & sopping wet as we paired up & navigated through each lock but he didn't seem too bothered!

Not really much in it, I am sure you will enjoy either equally well, at least as far as one can predict in advance. Do let us know how if goes, we need a few good news stories!