Bargain?

MrsM

Featured Posts

Just now, Higgs said:

ABC look as though they have a good setup and can build boats. The one in the ad  could have been a sail-away. 

Each to their own, all personal taste at the end of the day. But they do seem to be better suited to certain styles, and in my opinion narrowboats are not their forte.

from reading the ad i'd assume you were correct, built by ABC and fitted out by a retired joiner.

6 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Not trying to criticise your intentions. ?

None taken. Just wanted to clarify my reason for posting it as I have no vested interest or experience of this particular builder. However I do waste many hours of my life following the boat and housing markets. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Each to their own, all personal taste at the end of the day. But they do seem to be better suited to certain styles, and in my opinion narrowboats are not their forte.

from reading the ad i'd assume you were correct, built by ABC and fitted out by a retired joiner.

No, they do not build the most aesthetically pleasing, but they can build. The Chinese style of build is worse (of those I've come across). 

Edited by Higgs

8 minutes ago, MrsM said:

However I do waste many hours of my life following the boat and housing markets. 

Hours spent in educating oneself are not wasted hours. I do the same thing with the vintage record market.

Saw the ebay add yesterday and I completely agree it is a bargain.   ABC shells are currently around £18k and their sailaways are currently around £33k.  By the time you have done a diy fitout I reckon you are looking at £45k so this does look a bargain especially if the seller accepts an offer of £40k.  Perhaps it is listed at a low price as presumably only the shell is covered by an RCD

41 minutes ago, garibaldi said:

Saw the ebay add yesterday and I completely agree it is a bargain.   ABC shells are currently around £18k and their sailaways are currently around £33k.  By the time you have done a diy fitout I reckon you are looking at £45k so this does look a bargain especially if the seller accepts an offer of £40k.  Perhaps it is listed at a low price as presumably only the shell is covered by an RCD

If it doesn’t have full RCD certification then the seller is committing an offence by selling it. That could be another reason why it’s cheap. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, garibaldi said:

Saw the ebay add yesterday and I completely agree it is a bargain. 

If it is truly a bargain, it could be a scam.

Having said that, if a fitted out sailaway would have been around £45,000 as a total cost, it doesn't seem that much of a bargain.

9 hours ago, garibaldi said:

From the basic start of a shell, you could make a very tidy profit on £45k, from the standard of fitout this boat has. 

Edited by Higgs