Disconnecting gas cooker

RickS

Featured Posts

I have no idea Ronaldo47 - in principle that's not a bad idea. I don't think I will be changing the cooker for quite a while, but that would make it easier to clean behind it.

To be honest, after everything I have read and from the advice on this forum, i feel confident enough to re-install it myself, and leak test it. Don't feel up to putting on a bayonet socket though ?

20 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

are bayonet connectors not allowed on boats?    

Not only are they permitted but it appears that they are mandated if using a flexible hose to connect a cooker. 7.9.1 reads (in part):

... pre‐made hose assemblies conforming to BS 669 may be used to connect cookers to LPG supply pipework. Such hoses usually have a red stripe running along the length of the hose but may not be marked with BS669.

The connections on such hoses must terminate with self-sealing bayonet connections at the connection points to the LPG supply pipework. The portable appliance connection checks at 7.10 also apply.

Edited by WotEver

That's interesting. At the moment I have a flexible hos with very short pieces of pipe at each end connecting the cooker to the main pipework.

Having taken this off, does this mean that I have to now fit a bayonet fitting to the main pipework and get a hose with a bayonet fitting at one end and the short piece of pipe at the other which connects to the cooker directly ?

On 16/09/2020 at 22:48, jonathanA said:

Thank God and long may it continue 

We can do without more nanny state in our lives. 

Can you do with the idiot in the boat next door who frigs about with his gas system, and blows up himself, you and/or your boat?  Let's not be complacent about the abilities of Joe Public just because we think we know what we are doing.

22 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

>> The potential of gas problems really gives me the willies so I'd rather ask an obvious question than assume and get it wrong.

59 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

>>Don't feel up to putting on a bayonet socket though ?

11 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

That's interesting. At the moment I have a flexible hos with very short pieces of pipe at each end connecting the cooker to the main pipework.

Having taken this off, does this mean that I have to now fit a bayonet fitting to the main pipework and get a hose with a bayonet fitting at one end and the short piece of pipe at the other which connects to the cooker directly ?

That's what a "man who can" is for. He knows stuff.

I am assuming you aren't saying that I am the 'idiot in the boat next door' ? ?

I know my limitations - which i think I have adequately posted about - and fitting a bayonet socket goes beyond them. What I'm not sure about now after WotEver's post (although it does seem very clear what is being said) is whether I now have to get a bayonet socket fitted or not. To be honest, it's not (just) about staying within the rules, but whatever is safest. 

4 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

Well, reading the BSS regs certainly suggests so as my quote demonstrated. However, I bet loads of boats have their cooker connected via a flex hose without a bayonet fitting. I know WotEver was plumbed without because I changed the cooker and there wasn’t one there. I guess a phone call to your BSS Examiner will clarify what he will and will not accept. 

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf

Looking back through the post, I can't see what type of cooker you have. I've assumed that it is fitted fitted in a unit like on most boats I have seen. If however it is a freestanding slot in cooker, then the bayonet fitting and flexible hose is a better option, but you also need a safety chain and a stability bracket.

Thanks WotEver. Although that now means I will have to get a gas safe person in to do the bayonet fitting, I think that is a better option as it means it is a lot simpler and safer for any future disconnections - and seems likely to not give me any problems with future saftey certificates

I was getting myself all keyed up to deal with simple reconnection myself, but fitting something extra is not something I want to get wrong - it's either bingo or b****cks.

Ex Brummie, it is a freestanding cooker. there is a safety chain already attached to the wall, but it's not great so I may well fit another one. Stability bracket ? Do you mean the thin piece of metal that came with the cooker ? I agree that the bayonet is a better option, even though it is already a flexible hose that is (was!) fitted

1 hour ago, Rick Savery said:

Ex Brummie, it is a freestanding cooker. there is a safety chain already attached to the wall, but it's not great so I may well fit another one. Stability bracket ? Do you mean the thin piece of metal that came with the cooker ? I agree that the bayonet is a better option, even though it is already a flexible hose that is (was!) fitted

The stability bracket is an 'L' shaped unit that you fit to the cooker with the bottom of the 'L' on the floor to stop the cooker from falling forward. Have a look on You Tube, there are a couple of videos explaining them.

• Greenie 1

Thanks Ex Brummie and Machpoint005. I will make sure I have both of those sorted when the new cooker finally goes in. Keep having to make the adjustment from doing things in a land-based situation - things get moved about on a boat ? how much, I'm sure i will find out! 

9 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Can you do with the idiot in the boat next door who frigs about with his gas system, and blows up himself, you and/or your boat?  Let's not be complacent about the abilities of Joe Public just because we think we know what we are doing.

Yes !

Unfortunately the idiot will still be an idiot and any number of woolly minded well meaning people thinking that more regulation will somehow make the idiot safe is just ridiculous.  

Of course the people running the gase safe / hetas/ competent person etc. schemes will be delighted at the opportunity to fleece us all.

Personally I think people need to take responsibility for their actions and not look to blame someone else or feel the need to sue someone....