Birmingham Ring (using the Walsall Canal as an alternative)

manicpb

Featured Posts

I've titled this as the Birmingham Ring, not sure if that's quite factually right but it's a good indication as to where I've been!

So I arrived back this morning from my first long cruise (ie more than 2/3 nights out) since taking ownership of my boat towards the start of the year and it had plenty of highs and lows.

Firstly thanks to the forum members who helped me plan it, something's I asked and other info I found just searching the forum.

Secondly, I'm not great at trip reports/blogging/etc so here's a list of canals used and if anyone has any questions out of curiosity or to help with future planning of trips, please ask away!

Birmingham and Fazeley

Tame Valley

Rushall

Daw End

Wyrley and Essington

Walsall

Walsall Junction Canal (Town Wharf)

Wednesbury Old Canal

BCN Main Line

Oozell St Loop

Birmingham and Fazeley

I spent 17 days over this trip.

The stretch from Longwood Junction (Top of the Rushall Canal) through to Pelsall was a highlight, with the water being incredibly clear and as a very casual fisherman I found myself gazing at the various fish. You could literally see the fish biting at the bait!

Low point was ultimately the weed in the Tame Valley, terrible shame otherwise I'd pop back round to the Aldridge area for a couple of days fishing again if it was easier to get through!

I stayed overnight in a lot of places as I didn't rush this trip, so as I say if I can help anyone out feel free to ask any questions...and thanks again to all who helped me out!

• Greenie 3

17 minutes ago, manicpb said:

I've titled this as the Birmingham Ring, not sure if that's quite factually right but it's a good indication as to where I've been!

So I arrived back this morning from my first long cruise (ie more than 2/3 nights out) since taking ownership of my boat towards the start of the year and it had plenty of highs and lows.

Firstly thanks to the forum members who helped me plan it, something's I asked and other info I found just searching the forum.

Secondly, I'm not great at trip reports/blogging/etc so here's a list of canals used and if anyone has any questions out of curiosity or to help with future planning of trips, please ask away!

Birmingham and Fazeley

Tame Valley

Rushall

Daw End

Wyrley and Essington

Walsall

Walsall Junction Canal (Town Wharf)

Wednesbury Old Canal

BCN Main Line

Oozell St Loop

Birmingham and Fazeley

I spent 17 days over this trip.

The stretch from Longwood Junction (Top of the Rushall Canal) through to Pelsall was a highlight, with the water being incredibly clear and as a very casual fisherman I found myself gazing at the various fish. You could literally see the fish biting at the bait!

Low point was ultimately the weed in the Tame Valley, terrible shame otherwise I'd pop back round to the Aldridge area for a couple of days fishing again if it was easier to get through!

I stayed overnight in a lot of places as I didn't rush this trip, so as I say if I can help anyone out feel free to ask any questions...and thanks again to all who helped me out!

Did you single hand that lot? That’s quite a task for your first trip. I’m not sure I’d ever choose to single hand Walsall rather than go the long way round.

Point of order, Walsall Town Wharf is the original terminus of the Walsall Canal. The Walsall Junction Canal is the bit through the locks which joins the original Walsall Canal to what was a branch of the Wyrley & Essington at the wharf above the locks. But you did correctly identify that the canal above Ryders Green locks is the Wednesbury and not the Walsall.

Great to hear of a new boater (or at least new boat owner) getting to grips with the nether reaches of the BCN. Well done.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

What did you do for the other 16 days...?

You should consider doing the BCN challenge next year as that could be half of a challenge route.

? Two nights I actually went to work and another two nights were lost in Walsall's delightful bars!

13 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Did you single hand that lot? That’s quite a task for your first trip. I’m not sure I’d ever choose to single hand Walsall rather than go the long way round.

Point of order, Walsall Town Wharf is the original terminus of the Walsall Canal. The Walsall Junction Canal is the bit through the locks which joins the original Walsall Canal to what was a branch of the Wyrley & Essington at the wharf above the locks. But you did correctly identify that the canal above Ryders Green locks is the Wednesbury and not the Walsall.

Great to hear of a new boater (or at least new boat owner) getting to grips with the nether reaches of the BCN. Well done.

JP

Thanks for the finer details, it honestly interests me.

Essentially it was single handed, I grew up in the area so had a few people hop on and off at various points but yes, when I was stuck under a bridge somewhere between Walsall and Ocker Hill it was me who was getting the pole out and clearing the weed hatch (just the once I'll add)!

I think I've ticked this trip off the list and will take the Cannock Chase/Stafford route sometime in the future.

22 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

What did you do for the other 16 days...?

You should consider doing the BCN challenge next year as that could be half of a challenge route.

To be fair Rob to complete that lot inside a single calendar day you’d have to set off before the Challenge’s official 0800 start time. You’d do well to complete it in 18 hours and that’s with crew.

5 minutes ago, manicpb said:

Thanks for the finer details, it honestly interests me.

Essentially it was single handed, I grew up in the area so had a few people hop on and off at various points but yes, when I was stuck under a bridge somewhere between Walsall and Ocker Hill it was me who was getting the pole out and clearing the weed hatch (just the once I'll add)!

I think I've ticked this trip off the list and will take the Cannock Chase/Stafford route sometime in the future.

I believe you. I think. ???

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

To be fair Rob to complete that lot inside a single calendar day you’d have to set off before the Challenge’s official 0800 start time. You’d do well to complete it in 18 hours and that’s with crew.

I believe you. I think. ???

I never know how to sound sincere on internet forums! ?

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

I did put 15 days initially but thought it wasn't enough boating for the challenge comment so changed it to 16.

Someone keen on travelling those regions of the BCN should be encouraged to enter the challenge though.

• Greenie 2

Just now, manicpb said:

I never know how to sound sincere on internet forums! ?

If you can convincingly fake sincerity you've got it made ...

Just now, Rob-M said:

Someone keen on travelling those regions of the BCN should be encouraged to enter the challenge though.

Most of the entrants' regular complaints are on that list!

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I did put 15 days initially but thought it wasn't enough boating for the challenge comment so changed it to 16.

To be fair even Challenge regulars can’t necessarily be described as keen on the Walsall. ‘Willing’ is a good enough criterion.

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

To be fair even Challenge regulars can’t necessarily be described as keen on the Walsall. ‘Willing’ is a good enough criterion.

Knowing it exists is probably enough as once you know any more about it that's enough to put you off.

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yeah, I have to admit the Walsall doesn't fill me with joy, done it on every challenge so far and it's where most of the more interesting problems occur  ;)

I'll have look into the BCN challenge.

My immediate thoughts are to giving the engine a proper good going over now it's had a long run and ready for next year.

I think the fact Walsall was (relatively) quite because of Covid may of helped, but I really enjoyed my stay there...am I getting better at sounding sincere!?!

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Yeah, I have to admit the Walsall doesn't fill me with joy, done it on every challenge so far and it's where most of the more interesting problems occur  ;)

You'll do it on the next one too I'll bet. :D

Assuming @cheshire~rose has scratched enough of the new shiny paint off by then anyway!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

We have a history with the Walsall...

Met the fire brigade there, chief told me they were just recovering the last body. From the look of horror on my face he then explained it was a dummy from their training session.

Helped free another boat wedged in a lock, they want on and then we got wedged.

Went through the flight, winded at the junction and then got stuck fast in a lock we had just gone through.

Came down the flight late Friday evening with plenty of water, by Saturday morning pounds nearly empty.

So I reckon we are due a good year on the Walsall.

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We have a history with the Walsall...

Met the fire brigade there, chief told me they were just recovering the last body. From the look of horror on my face he then explained it was a dummy from their training session.

Helped free another boat wedged in a lock, they want on and then we got wedged.

Went through the flight, winded at the junction and then got stuck fast in a lock we had just gone through.

Came down the flight late Friday evening with plenty of water, by Saturday morning pounds nearly empty.

So I reckon we are due a good year on the Walsall.

Got stuck behind a historic jammed in a lock, much shoving and flushing to help shift it with the lone steerer, only to realise the crew were inside having their breakfast. 

Battery caught behind lock gate.

Ground ground paddle stuck open, much heroic hammer work to sort it.

Everytime at least one pound empty, once 3 empty.

I'm sure there are more

The Joys of the BCN challenge  :)

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Got stuck behind a historic jammed in a lock, much shoving and flushing to help shift it with the lone steerer, only to realise the crew were inside having their breakfast. 

I'm sure there are more

That first one sounds like Rob and my encounter with the NBT at Ryders Green four years ago.

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

That first one sounds like Rob and my encounter with the NBT at Ryders Green four years ago.

If I remember right it was some sort of youth/Christian group, what I do remember is no one offered a brew or a bacon butty, they did let us pass them in the pound though :)

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

If I remember right it was some sort of youth/Christian group, what I do remember is no one offered a brew or a bacon butty, they did let us pass them in the pound though :)

Sounds a bit like KEW. A big blue thing with a cabin made out of egg boxes?

11 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I'm sure there are more

Several hours after a malt induced 2 hour sleep.....the thunderstorms had just about stopped by now.

20180527_063901.jpg

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1