dacrylate paints

dreadnought

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

@Dacrylate Paints Ltd are forum members you can ask them.

You're quite right, we are! 

@dreadnought what we can recommend depends a lot on whether you are purchasing as a 'member of the public', or as a registered business/boat yard. Strict legislation means that the professional products cannot be sold to amateur users. Please do feel free to send me a message and we can discuss your requirements, purchasing routes, etc.

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you can put that information on the forum, then other prospective customers will be able to see it too.

Hi David,

How many boat owners do you know that have had problems with paint etc? This is often the problem, 'general' information may not be applicable to your particular build/material/application.

I am happy to discuss individual requests via e-mail or via this forum, but it must be understood that this is relevant only to the particular boat and owner.

If general information is required on paints/coatings for both above and below the waterline then we would be very interested in providing this, presuming the forum owners are in agreement that it is appropriate.

Edited by Dacrylate Paints Ltd

Our boats are painted in dacthane. As we weren't allowed to sand at our previous marina mooring we degreased the sides and put two coats on as a temporary coat. 6 years later its still stuck hard and no faded.

We also use their bitumen as our stock paint for serviced blackings and have had no complaints from customers in 4 years.

We put Rapidac red oxide primer on the pretty bits of the hull after shot blasting in 2010.  It is all still there  albeit under several top coats of a Masons P type clone and has generally survived where mechanical damage has occurred to the top coats.

N

Just as a bit of general info and not specifically about paint but whenever I have had to buy stuff where there just might be a problem about whether I am professional / trade / amateur  I have always just used a made up company name fir any communication,  Berts boats, Big Bang gas fitters, The careful chemical company, that sort of thing, Yeah I know its wrong but I'm not gonna stop doing it.

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

Just as a bit of general info and not specifically about paint but whenever I have had to buy stuff where there just might be a problem about whether I am professional / trade / amateur  I have always just used a made up company name fir any communication,  Berts boats, Big Bang gas fitters, The careful chemical company, that sort of thing, Yeah I know its wrong but I'm not gonna stop doing it.

The purpose of this is of course simply to protect the supplier from prosecution. If they have shown that they only supply to purchasers who have letterheaded orders then they’ve done reasonable due diligence. I doubt if they care who they sell to (a sale is a sale) as long as they can demonstrate that they’ve done nothing illegal. 

As an X boat painter, without a letterhead, I wouldn't be able to buy certain paints. Do I just need to get handy with the computer and Corel Draw and make a letterhead up?

I guess the answer could be - suck it and see. ?

Edited by Higgs

28 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

After 20 years at the sharp end of the oil business, whenever I hear the question about amateur / professional status etc, I am reminded of this ?

image.png.07393d0f7057b45c77e48338faa3b7ce.png

In that context, it's an appropriate consideration.

I'm sure that paint companies (legislation) are not interested in whether someone can paint. More to do with safety. COSHH.

Edited by Higgs

Do a search on here and there are plenty of past threads.

They are unless anyone says otherwise, a well respected and reasonably well known supplier of paints, including their epoxies and blacking, although I have heard less about them being used topsides. The Epoxy zinc appears a little softer curing than the Sherwin Williams which we usually use, which has pros and cons.

To this end we currently have a series of large test patches on the base plate near the back to test for adhesion/wear/etc. One year in, I will let you know in three years how it looks nect blacking!

Daniel