Small inverter vs 12v sockets.

Tasemu

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tasemu said:

Currently I don't use 240v between 8pm and 8am. Just looking to see if i should be putting in 12v sockets or if an inverter will do the job fine and not lose me too much power in conversion. Everyone always says use 12v wherever possible, so that's stuck with me. :)

I don't have any DC sockets, the Mastervolt runs 24/7 and it takes probably  10 minutes longer engine running time to put back the inverter losses for the day. But I do cruise every day. Do you have a charger with your genny?

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't have any DC sockets, the Mastervolt runs 24/7 and it takes probably  10 minutes longer engine running time to put back the inverter losses for the day. But I do cruise every day. Do you have a charger with your genny?

Excellent, yup i got a 20a sterling :)

24 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Excellent, yup i got a 20a sterling :)

That sounds quite small for a boat without shorepower.  

How big is your battery bank? 

Do you run the engine to get hot water and put most of the bulk charge into your batteries, or do you just run the genset for 6+ hours per day?

51 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That sounds quite small for a boat without shorepower.  

How big is your battery bank? 

Do you run the engine to get hot water and put most of the bulk charge into your batteries, or do you just run the genset for 6+ hours per day?

480ah, usually takes 2-3 hours to put the batteries into float. I also use the genset to heat water at the same time via an immersion heater. Also for cooking in summer via induction hobs. Sounds like a victron inverter-charger might be a good move, but will also require rewiring everything I think, for the larger amps.

PS: Genset is fixed and working great now, was a busted impeller and anti-siphon valve. Now i finally can see what it looks like working properly.

5 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

480ah, usually takes 2-3 hours to put the batteries into float. I also use the genset to heat water at the same time via an immersion heater. Also for cooking in summer via induction hobs. Sounds like a victron inverter-charger might be a good move, but will also require rewiring everything I think, for the larger amps.

PS: Genset is fixed and working great now, was a busted impeller and anti-siphon valve. Now i finally can see what it looks like working properly.

Once you start using the batteries via the inverter they will require a lot more putting back into them than they need currently (if you're only running water pump lights and a USB charger off them.)  That's why I'd recommend a bigger charger to reduce your genset hours and save diesel.  It will make quite a difference if you can throw the bulk charge in at 50 or 60 Amps to start with, but will still take ages to get the last 20% or so in the batteries.  Solar to finish off charging is good, but you already know this as we discussed it for your previous boat.

I'd go for a separate charger and inverter rather than a combi personally, but it's your boat and wallet!  Depends on the wiring you have, but yes, it'll probably need bigger cables for a higher power charger.

If you haven't already, get at least 2 spare impellers.  The most common cause of them breaking is when the filters get blocked and they start running dry - when working, the water lubricates them but they can disintegrate in seconds if they are dry.  Hopefully your chap showed you how to change them, and taught you to always find all the broken off bits that get stuck in pipes and the heat exchanger.

29 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Once you start using the batteries via the inverter they will require a lot more putting back into them than they need currently (if you're only running water pump lights and a USB charger off them.)  That's why I'd recommend a bigger charger to reduce your genset hours and save diesel.  It will make quite a difference if you can throw the bulk charge in at 50 or 60 Amps to start with, but will still take ages to get the last 20% or so in the batteries.  Solar to finish off charging is good, but you already know this as we discussed it for your previous boat.

I'd go for a separate charger and inverter rather than a combi personally, but it's your boat and wallet!  Depends on the wiring you have, but yes, it'll probably need bigger cables for a higher power charger.

If you haven't already, get at least 2 spare impellers.  The most common cause of them breaking is when the filters get blocked and they start running dry - when working, the water lubricates them but they can disintegrate in seconds if they are dry.  Hopefully your chap showed you how to change them, and taught you to always find all the broken off bits that get stuck in pipes and the heat exchanger.

I'd buy a battery monitor as well. If you rely on going into float as a measure of being at 100% charge then you risk undercharging and significantly reducing battery life.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I'd buy a battery monitor as well. If you rely on going into float as a measure of being at 100% charge then you risk undercharging and significantly reducing battery life.

I would suggest he will absolutely guarantee undercharging and reduced battery life.

Try turning the charger off for a few moments and then back on - see how ling it takes to drop into float. You may be surprised. Repeat until it drops to float almost imidiately.